Author Topic: Fairness and Lag and Ping Delay - a suggestion  (Read 515 times)

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Fairness and Lag and Ping Delay - a suggestion
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:54:10 am »
Most all know that lag is a BIG problem. This is not about that. This is about ping delay and fairness. And I will add, this is not about my system because it far exceeds even the suggested requirements.

Problem:

Dlayos are harder to fight (yes intentionally, maybe so as to be fought with a group), but I have noted that some players can take them down themselves without damage to themselves and apparently as had been done before. I cannot though. The lag is so great when I try to fight a Dlayo (and any other tough npc and players) that I cannot get a hit in and they strike me before I can attempt a dodge. Two hits and the Dlayo kills me (I have level 150 axe and level 100 heavy armor with the best equipment). I am stuck there not really doing much because of the lag and delay. And just forget about PvP at this time (but not to worry as I can still take care of myself with magic even though lots of lag there too.) I can even kill the Dlayo with magic, just can't run around as well while doing so.

I believe there to be three parts to this problem.

1) lag - there is still some serious lag. But this is not about that and I feel the devs will get that fixed at some point. (Please especially check out the Outpost and Camp Banishment. I cannot even approach those places without lagging to a standstill.) But this is not about that.

2) ping - It is a known fact that the further one is from the server the more ping delay they will have. This can't be helped and is just part of the baseline to work with.

3) design (for lack of a better name) - example: Dlayos are given certain programing to make them do their thing.

The result here is that depending on the ping delay that one may have, they are limited in fighting both npc and PvP. (Please keep in mind we are not talking lag which is assumed will be fixed.) The more advanced design does make npc and PvP fighting more challenging and more fun. However the one with the smallest ping delay will always have the advantage, an advantage in looting and in PvP dueling. I believe this to be unfair and not in agreement with the nature of PlaneShift.

A suggestion for a solution:

A common delay could be added to all, making the various ping delays insignificant. This would "slow" the gaming a bit and is not the approach other games take. However this could provide an even playing field for all independent of their physical location (distance from the server). With such a common delay the tougher npc, especially the Dlayos, can be re-designed to work well, acceptable with this common delay. I believe the fairness created by this, especially with PvP, would be far more valuable than having the latest high-teck movements. Further I believe more players would value this equality, bringing more into the game as well as providing an even playing field for RP. (I am still one who greatly enjoys RP with PvP action.)

thanks

bloodedIrishman

Re: Fairness and Lag and Ping Delay - a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:39:52 am »
Well said, though I do not fully understand how your suggestion would affect combat entirely.

This also belongs in Wish List.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: Fairness and Lag and Ping Delay - a suggestion
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:00:12 am »
there is a bit of confusion where are you talking about network lag and where about fps reduction?
if it's about network lag you can perfectly kill dlayo without being touched with up to 500ms (probably even more but i never had that case on my connection, right now i even have 350ms, unfortunately for europe that's the situation, usa has about 200: tried by pinging various servers from laanx iteself)