Author Topic: What is this Board?  (Read 5520 times)

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
What is this Board?
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:10:10 pm »
This post is to announce the new board here, which is going to be used as a sort of "blog" for the development team to talk about what it is currently working on.  It is part of an effort for the team to become more open about its work in progress and give fans and players more of a clue about what is coming in future releases.

We're not going to make any promises about dates and timeframes or when things will be released, so try to restrain yourself from asking.  :-)

Only developers and associate developers should make new topics on this board.  Players and fans are free to reply to topics and discuss the things the devs post, however.

Right now this is an experiment.  If it proves to be onerous or more trouble than it is worth, or if every post just turns into a flame war, we'll probably just take the board down again.  Hopefully though, we believe the vast majority of players will be interested in this and happy to have advance information, so let's try to make this a success.

Thanks.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: What is this Board?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:30:03 pm »
THANK YOU!!!!! This is one area I have hoped more than any other to see improvement in... communication. I hope this works out well!!

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »
Sweet.
It is good to know what you guys are working on. That will avoid redundant or contradictory wishes, ideas and debates.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:13 pm »
Nice one.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »
YAY! Was hoping for something like this for a long time!!!  \\o// :thumbup: :woot:

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Lokter Tarvitz

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Lokter Tarvitz- Reaver Pack Founding Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »
Thank you very much, i suppose the community needed something like this.  :woot:

Team Fortress 2 FTW!

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:48:26 pm »
I have a new favorite forum now. Thank you.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Lhaa

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:51 pm »
Pretty good idea, looks like a step in the right way. \o/

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:01:29 am »
 \\o//

Excellent. I am glad to see more development info going to the community

It is also nice to see the first few posts, I am sure it will help people understand the devs a bit better.

\\o//
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »
Greetings,

This is very interesting direction of development, Vengeance. I'm curious though, does this include all departments, or is this just an engine thing? Can we expect to see, for example, previews of upcoming art? :)

Good luck with the new board,
- Cherppow

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 04:55:06 pm »
Greetings,

This is very interesting direction of development, Vengeance. I'm curious though, does this include all departments, or is this just an engine thing? Can we expect to see, for example, previews of upcoming art? :)

Good luck with the new board,
- Cherppow

did you look at http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34553.0 ?

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 06:07:08 pm »
Greets,

Indeed I did, Caarrie. However, Talad, being the director, has always had the right to release art previews. So, as interesting as Talad's post may be, my apologies for not seeing it that great of a leap in openness. My real question is, if this is power is now being allowed for the "lower members" of the art team, who have previously worked under non disclosure agreement. As an old art developer, this holds some interest for me.

Sincerely,
- Cherppow

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:46 pm »
Yes, the art team will be posting previews of things here but "the element of surprise" will still be important for new art assets in new releases, so don't expect it to be comprehensive.  I would expect previews to show new capabilities in art, rather than showing front, side and rear views of every new monster.  Previews have to be discussed by the team and agreed to before they will go up here, but my general feeling is that you will see more than you used to.

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 10:30:41 am »
Greetings,

Aye, I didn't expect to see every art item posted here. :) Pretty cool, though. I'll be sure to check back here every now and then to see what you guys are up to. And thanks for taking the time to the answer!

Be well,
 - Cherppow

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 06:50:18 am »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) Nice idea for a thread

:( :( >:( >:( :( :( Too bad the criticisers who haunt these forums have used it to throw crap at things the devs hold dear.

If you don't agree to an aspect of PS's licencing or anything, keep it to yourself. here is not the place for it.

Great to see tempters of what's coming.... ooohhh I want it now...