Author Topic: Got Music Department?  (Read 11482 times)

neko kyouran

Re: Got Music Department?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 05:35:39 pm »
This depends on what the dev budget is of course.

There is no budget.  Volunteer game done by volunteers.  Everything is donated.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »
Hi guys (i'm a new prospect  :) :)

I used to sell these, and would rate them for their price. This depends on what the dev budget is of course.

http://www.provantage.com/samson-technologies-sac01ucw~7SASN001.htm

Straight into audacity!

Also, whilst I realise that this is no doubt a decision for the developers, I would be happy to produce the sounds recorded using a mic like this (including noise removal, vocal compress and audio compression, etc).

Here is a very short sample of a voice over I recorded and produced for open source game OpenOutcast. This sample is 12kb in size of the OGG format and sounds great in game.

Edd

There seems to be some distortion on the end of "friend"....
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Eddyster

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 04:14:43 pm »
There seems to be some distortion on the end of "friend"....

I'm afraid I can't hear what you mean! There is a reverb trail but no distortion.

The sound clip has been processed to sound very low (that is the voice of the alien race in oOC).

Edd

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 01:54:39 am »
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JV3ZDH4A

I just did this with an old akg d50s.  This is what I would consider to be a high noise recording, and it's probably what you'll run into a lot.  Eddyster's "Old Friend" recording is low noise.  (As a sidenote, I can't hear the distortion anymore.)
Immaturity is FTW.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 05:51:31 pm »
There is zero chance we will be using a voice synthesizer.  Boring robot voices will not achieve our goals.
Why would we not go for this (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/morevoices.html)
Umm... because robots can't act?  :-)
I don't mean to say you should or should not use a voice synthesizer, but listening to the same audio recording over and over again is also robotic.  Whether you use one or not really depends on whatever your goals are.

Prolix

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 06:09:51 pm »
Artificial voices take a great deal of tweaking to sound even acceptable.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »
Artificial voices take a great deal of tweaking to sound even acceptable.
What kind of tweaking specifically?
Immaturity is FTW.

Prolix

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 07:00:08 pm »
http://www.festvox.org/
skip to this page for a bit of an idea once you are all set up.
It does seem they ave gotten away from pure sound modulated computer audio but I haven't looked at this for some years.
It looks at a cursory glance like you now utter the phonemes yourself and record them. I'm not really sure about any of this as I played with the standard voices which were not great at the time.

noetic

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
Hi guys would really like to get involved here and wondered where you're all at and whats the priority for the project. i have a wealth of knowledge as a drumandbass producer but i can get involved with anything music vocals etc. Can someone fill me in on things and ill get to work

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 12:07:03 pm »
if you really want to get involved your best bet is to apply to the team then they will tell you what you need to know to get started. most of the time info like this is not public due to the way the game is developed.

noetic

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 07:15:12 pm »
ok cool so who do i need to contact

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:50 am »
You can also ask around on #planeshift (<-click). The music department seems to be more active lately (or there actually may be somewhat of a department now) and people there may be able to tell you more. This probably works better than the nexus route at the moment.

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 10:11:26 am »
I would reply in a PM as prompted by the OP, except as a new member apparently I can't send PMs yet (which is a fair anti-spam rule).

I haven't even created an account in game yet.  I plan on first getting as much detail about the game world so I can best plan out my character first.

However, I would be willing to do some voice work.  I used to do community theater, and I've LARPed for years.  I love to act.  I don't know much about tweaking the audio files I would in turn record, but I do have a headset mic.  I currently only use it for Skype, and haven't tried recording with it before, but I can try recording some samples and sending them in.
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Mesmer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 03:56:06 pm »
It would also be a good idea to record different vocal combat and crafting sounds diffrent races and genders make, such as with weapon/tool swings and spellcasting. A variety of such sounds mixed with silence on and off, so it doesn't get grating, would add to the game's atmosphere. A slider can be inlcuded for the frequency of such sounds.