Author Topic: Planeshift Birth Announcement  (Read 21920 times)

Oomi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Planeshift Birth Announcement
« on: January 14, 2009, 01:16:28 am »
PlaneShift Birth Announcement

It's a: server
Name: planeshift.ezpcusa.com
Proud parent: Talad
Born on: 01/15/09
Weight: about the same as his big sister laanx.fragnetics.com
Length: shorter than big sister for now, but growing like a weed

The PlaneShift team is proud to announce the advent of a second server! We've been listening to what players have had to say on the forums and in IRC and thought it would be great fun to offer a place to let off some steam and just go... grind for a bit. You know, fill your pack to the brim with ulber furs, dig until your pick breaks; that sort of thing! This new server will be fully functional with all of the quests, NPCs, locations and mobs that we have currently. It is not going to take the place of laanx.fragnetics.com; instead it is going to provide us with a great place to run trials of new features and get feedback. If these features function well and don't disturb the flow of RP, they will then be added to laanx.

In keeping with the spirit of innovation and experimentation, planeshift.ezpcusa.com will also have more relaxed RP rules and naming conventions than laanx. We chose this path so that all of us, team members and players alike, can use the new server to better focus on testing improved game code and new features while allowing laanx to remain the haven of entertaining RP that keeps PlaneShift lore alive. This new approach can also lead to a more stable laanx if the PlaneShift community comes together to help make this server a fully populated proving-ground for fresh concepts. So come take a look at our newest addition, count its toes, and let's have some fun!

Please be aware that player accounts will not be transferred between servers, so if you want to join the new server (and we dearly hope you will) you will need to set up a new PlaneShift account. Then, instead of logging on to the server named "fragnetics", you will log on to "ezpcusa".

Some thoughts from the team:

Kayden: One of the most fun things about Molecular Blue was its relaxed atmosphere.  People were routinely joking around, and just enjoying one another's company, without worry of interrupting another's story.  With a new server, we hope to reclaim some of that lost atmosphere and community, while still allowing for deep roleplay as well.

Ulf_moose: The art department will be looking for player feedback on updates to the user interface to create an improved player experience.

Vengeance: 1) I wanted to have a server that catered to a more casual style of gameplay, that the RP purists are typically annoyed by. 2) I wanted to open up possibilities of new features, which otherwise might have been rejected for not being RP-ish enough, or for being unrealistic due to catering to casual gamers. Then we can see how those features impact the game on the 2nd server, and if deemed worthy, can be promoted to the 1st server. The 2nd server allows us to get a bit more 'experimental' with the directions we take the game. Fans will begin seeing some of these directions in the next release, but should keep in mind that these things take time.

Xordan: Snorks.

XilliX: I embrace all of the new opportunities a second server will provide in terms of innovation and energy infusion. A second server grants us the chance also to attempt to make a more purely RP server on laanx and gives us the liberty to experiment more with some of the role playing proposals on the table that have been viewed as too "RPcentric" in the past. Furthermore, it allows us to run metrics on how one progresses through PlaneShift that only a wipe of the current server could give us, and without having to wipe our long term players. So both servers should in fact be seen as "experimenting" in a new age of PlaneShift.

Oomi: I'm very excited about this. The team can use the contrast between the servers to get a better feel for what the game needs. Long-time players can better see what the team has planned for the future. New players can get their feet wet in PS more easily. I also like the idea of having servers in different locations so that we can keep playing should one need hardware or software maintenance. Hope to see all of you there!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Planeshift Birth Announcement
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:51 am »
I will allow a second round of "editing" for the rp covenant, after which we will include it in the tutorial on Laanx to be signed.

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:19 am »
Where do I sign up? same interface? Can I use the same email address or do I need a new one? If I have an empty account can I use it (no, correct?) and if so can I use an empty slot on an existing account?

How do I set the new server, I do not see any option in the game or config files.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:36:06 am by Prolix »

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:37:04 am »
My only worry is that the first server loses much of it's population due to the second having 'more features'.  Perhaps, though, the history in the first server will outweigh the features in the second!

I think it's a great move overall and I support it.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:51:35 am »
Prolix we'll post follow up for people.

So far WHOLE NEW ACCOUNT

Same interface.

We'll give the server xml and instructions for how to use it for you when it is settled.

Waylander: This should ONLY leech Non-rpers, Laanx is the rp server. Most features will likely be approved and rp features will still be developed.

The general hope is that no one will ever leave the game due to someone enforcing brackets or some other stuff on them.

Changes to the forums also are in the works.

Prolix

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:53:57 am »
I am also wondering if you have added this server to the bugtracker as a component option. It will be important to differentiate between laanx reports and ezpcusa reports.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure you have thought of all these things but it never hurts to ask. :)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:55:41 am »
I have to say, this is a fantastic development. This is good news for "both" aspects of the community. I am truly impressed. Nice job!

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:12:39 am »
My only worry is that the first server loses much of it's population due to the second having 'more features'.  Perhaps, though, the history in the first server will outweigh the features in the second!

I think it's a great move overall and I support it.
I'm not worried.  I think PlaneShift players crave social interaction and a stable platform more than they lust for new features.

I'm interested in what changes Xillix has planned.  Could a post be made to the development blog outlining what's in store for the community?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:53 am »
Hello

I read something from different user interface in the initial post - does it mean there will be a seperate client for each server?

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:19:37 am »
Hello

I read something from different user interface in the initial post - does it mean there will be a seperate client for each server?

Sen

no the client will be the same only some features might be enabled first on this server

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:14 am »
for registering where do I go?

http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/REGISTER ???
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:38:56 am »
the server isn't available yet for playing

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:20 am »
The birth was post-dated, we wanted you to have some time for the idea to sink in.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 09:38:34 am »
Question: Does that mean that one should move to the new server for the purpose of game testing?

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 09:46:28 am »
What about roleplay taking place on the one server? Is this handled like two different worlds, where one does not affect the other? Something that might prove troublesome is most noobs heading off to the new server. We poor roleplayers can't last without these, however. After all someone needs to mine. If the laanx becomes more roleplay focussed, what about removing those stupid vigesimi NPCs from the game and replacing them with players? :P.
Furthemore, what about people playing solely on the second server and then coming to Laanx? These would know nothing about roleplay and the noob problem would grow even bigger. It should be made sure that new players receive a proper introduction to roleplay before they forget that PS is after all a roleplay game.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:50:41 am by Donari Tyndale »