Author Topic: Planeshift Birth Announcement  (Read 21917 times)

Birot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Planeshift Birth Announcement
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 12:48:48 pm »
Well that is my point Rpers dont have the stats and skills that a player has put in his time to acquire, most Rpers i have scaned dont even have stats maxed and as far as i can tell atleast from the auction forum is most RP guilds dont own GH and say they could never afford one due to pricing, which means most GHs are owned by guilds that work hard to level and make money, so this seems like a very unfair turn of events, Now if we could move our characters and GHs over to new server that would be fine, but in the since of starting over it would be much easier for a RP guild to start over than a player guild....

Eathon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 12:50:42 pm »
XilliX stated that the Dev team has decided this internally. Either you can remain on Laanx and abide by the RP rules (as you should be doing anyway) or you can move to the new server. No one is forcing you to choose either.  :)

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »
no one is forcing anyone anywhere. You can remain on any server you like. fin.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Prolix

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »
Personally I can see a great reason why the second server should not be rp centric and that is there are a lot of advanced characters like mine (bilbous) who have been around for a very long time and could have residual glitches for past updates. The new server is, in effect, a full wipe that many of us have been requesting for a long time now. Like it or not the levellers use more of the mechanics than the roleplayers, The hybrids, which I think actually represent the largest contingent currently playing, use the most. This means that the database will be clean and testing will be more certain.

Personally I have kept playing bilbous instead of another character because he never achieved complete mastery and fell behind in his relative power. On a new server, this will not be as much of an issue. I am used to starting over on a fresh server.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 01:38:23 pm »
In my eyes, the new server is more a threat to the PS community than of use. First of all, it will split the community in two, and new players will be inclined to play on the new server according to the non rp rules they are used to from other games. I remember someone saying that PS was a roleplay game? If PS is one with a PL server, then so is WoW and R*. Furthermore, who joins the roleplay events if there is no one left? Always the same people. And I'd soon feel bored if yet again character x is the only one taking part in an evil event because all others left for the new server. Not everyone can be a poet, and the statists in the background of the scenery are required. They mine, they craft, they drink. All the little things that add to the athmosphere. I'd really miss that. PLers need RPers and the other way round. It'd quickly get boring. Providing laanx dies out, what happens? Is the experiment reverted? I doubt so, since all players are on the other server. And since that server has less lax rules where xxxlegolasxxx can buy a house and talk about his cat, no roleplayer will join. What becomes of Ps then? It'd be just another mmorpg.

Birot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »
So i guess this is a closed subject, I should of not leveled my character here and should of stared at a wall story-telling and saying Birot takes a sip of his beer and smiles and would have been rewarded for this laziness, Instead i tried to create a character with hard work and my free-time that i could of spent some where else and i now me and my guild are going to be punished for it, such a betrayel by the devs team.
OOC [i feel very betrayed over this]
IC [ Birot is bitter...You turned a very lawful good character into a unlawful evil character, i will RP your style lets see if you will RP my style, Birot walks into the tavern with a mask and cloak on challengeing everyone he sees, call the guards now cowards or accept a duel, Bar fights are an IC event, and yes i know fighting is not allowed in city, but i have a mask and cloak on so unless a guard is standing there then it is Okay, no Godmodding, an sure i expect to see a whole lot of a jail cell, but thats better than sitting and story telling staring at a wall like im comatose]

Piker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 02:05:43 pm »
I'm quite looking forward to this. Not because i don't enjoy rp'ing, just purely because it will hopefully be a fun place to spend a bit of time.

I'll probably still spend most time on Laanx, but if i fancy some hack'n'slash,l hey!  :D

Is there a timescale for when this server will be operational? Like tomorrow  :woot:

Edit : Btw Miadon, it's funny watching someone writing their posts  :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:14:01 pm by Piker »

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 02:06:55 pm »
I'll add my two trias...

1. This is a GREAT idea... it won't be easy or without issues of one sort or another... but I think this is a good direction for PS.

2. Can there be a window of opportunity for having existing names on laanx reserved on the new server? I don't see someone trying to take my name, but who will be the first to register bilbous? I do not know how complicated this would be... maybe if the account exists on Laanx... only be able to register the new name from the same e-mail address? Or at least allow for challenges to character names for 15 - 30 days on the new server...

3. Can something similar apply to guild names...

4. I have to assume this means that there WILL be ramifications for being OOC on laanx (after a transition time while the new server is getting it's kinks worked out).

5. If there are no guilds/characters right now... is there a date/time envisioned for an initial guild house auction on the new server? (not looking for a date if it doesn't exist yet, just a yes/no).

To the community at large...

PLEASE be open-minded about this. I am not looking forward to having to grind my character back to his current level of ability, but I look forward to the opportunities this new server allows. As well as the opportunity to continue playing PS if one or the other server goes down for maintenance or updates.

To the RPers....

I know that this will likely reduce the numbers on laanx, at least slightly, but I do not see most leaving completely. I would even encourage you to try out the new server and play with mechanics or simply to do some recruiting. I challenge you to take this opportunity to change the image of Hydlaa on Laanx as a place for only the RP-elite. In other words, be more welcoming to any who are making an honest attempt to RP.

To the non-RPers...

This does not mean that you can be rude, or that RP won't be accepted on the new server, just isn't required. So, don't be shy about giving it a try every now and then without fear of being called out for "not being good enough".

[EDIT] @Donari... the current laanx community is already divided... just look at the forums. I think that this will actually ease tensions a LOT in the long-term once things settle down a bit. I also do not believe that Laanx will become a purely story-telling server. There are enough RPers out there that actually do things in-game to keep weapons being made and armor in repair. I also hope that names like xxxLegolasxxx are not allowed on either server.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:12:55 pm by Mythryndel »

Prolix

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:31 pm »
I do think you will need twice as many gms or some such as the new server will need its own set. Maybe not for events but to keep order.

Now why would anyone want to be me Mythy? anyway I tried to be the first in but I wasn't up to it I guess ;)
joking aside it is a somewhat valid concern.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 02:30:15 pm »
Mythryndel, stay at camp banished and roleplay there. The division is but in your heads.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »
Ok, as for the which server is which, sounds decided so case closed...I'm cool with it.   :)

Look at it this way, lot's of people have been crying for a wipe while many others have been dreading it.  This sounds like a perfect solution...everybody wins!   :thumbup:
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 02:43:10 pm »
So i guess this is a closed subject, I should of not leveled my character here and should of stared at a wall story-telling and saying Birot takes a sip of his beer and smiles and would have been rewarded for this laziness, Instead i tried to create a character with hard work and my free-time that i could of spent some where else and i now me and my guild are going to be punished for it, such a betrayel by the devs team.
OOC [i feel very betrayed over this]
IC [ Birot is bitter...You turned a very lawful good character into a unlawful evil character, i will RP your style lets see if you will RP my style, Birot walks into the tavern with a mask and cloak on challengeing everyone he sees, call the guards now cowards or accept a duel, Bar fights are an IC event, and yes i know fighting is not allowed in city, but i have a mask and cloak on so unless a guard is standing there then it is Okay, no Godmodding, an sure i expect to see a whole lot of a jail cell, but thats better than sitting and story telling staring at a wall like im comatose]

You're not mant to fight in the city because of the lag it causes. And don't be an idiot please. We don't just sit around staring at walls.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 02:50:08 pm »
Look on the bright side... I guess we will finally be able to answer once and for all if you can do Harnquist's quests if we ALL start out at level 0 and don't have the crafting books he offers... :)

@Donari... I do believe a lot of the divide may be in our heads... egos... and only on the forums. I know this announcements is going to mean that a lot of players are caught in the middle... but you can't please everyone... no matter how hard you try. This is really the simplest way to move forward... even if it isn't the easiest.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 03:02:31 pm »
About bugs:
Even with the servers mostly being the same, some bugs may be found on one server, and some on the other. Of course in both cases we would like you to report the bugs. We may introduce a new 'reported version' setting if this makes sense, but for now lets just see how things go.
When testing something, staying in character may be difficult. So if you can reproduce the bug with a character on the new server, it may annoy less people. If not, just try not to bother other players too much.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:20 pm »
Sorry for the quick OT post... but it seems that there might be a need for a drop-down for which server to log into... and it might also be worthwhile to add a "server version" that displays there (like the current titlebar version for the client)...

Might help in reporting bugs more effectively.