Author Topic: Those dark places...  (Read 11523 times)

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
Re: Those dark places...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 12:06:42 pm »
I generally recommend mplayer personally, but I do hear great things about vlc.
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Maju

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 03:43:49 pm »
Good try but not good enough.

What it really needs is more gamma. Brightness can solve the problem but gives (at least to my PC) horrible colors/textures. So my solution is to play in small windowed mode so I can access the nVidia card settings and double or more the gamma (tried with alt-tab but all I got was mouse scrolling - and I need the access because sometimes it just goes down to standard gamma settings with no apparent reason).

I really play all the game with +2.2-2.5 gamma settings and I use such settings only for PS and nothing else (all the rest, except some text at the PS site goes horribly bright). So IMO the problem is in PS, not in my PC.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:10 pm »
Generally, with a good (brand-new LCD) monitor, I don't have too much trouble, although I do run with increased brightness + gamma (will have to re-tweak that when I get the new PC in, as the increased brightness/gamma was to compensate for the diminished output of a 6-to-7-year-old CRT monitor).

ALSO: some characters don't use torches because it'd be OOC for them (they have good/great low-light vision, also, you see further with your eyes adjusted to the dark than with a lit torch in hand).  Keep that in mind...

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 05:06:02 pm »
We don't have that feature at this time, use a torch until we do, or don't see.

Maju

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 11:57:25 am »
My experience with torch is that you don't see much more in fact: you emit light but the light doesn't go far or is not reflected in the environs. You see the same as without torch. Tweaking gamma is what works for me (brightness to but it's ugly).

Vornne

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 03:59:40 pm »
In the development version torches light up everything, which is great in one way... on the other hand about 10 fires will bring the FPS to an unplayable number only in NPCroom1; might need a setting to turn dynamic lights off for the people without good graphics cards.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 02:18:52 pm »
In the development version torches light up everything, which is great in one way... on the other hand about 10 fires will bring the FPS to an unplayable number only in NPCroom1; might need a setting to turn dynamic lights off for the people without good graphics cards.

Yeah, we definitely need many, many more knobs for performance tuning.  The Texture Downsampling configuration option should be renamed "Texture Quality" btw and be labeled "Highest....Lowest" instead of with numbers; it's quite confusing otherwise.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:17 pm »
Good try but not good enough.

What it really needs is more gamma. Brightness can solve the problem but gives (at least to my PC) horrible colors/textures. So my solution is to play in small windowed mode so I can access the nVidia card settings and double or more the gamma (tried with alt-tab but all I got was mouse scrolling - and I need the access because sometimes it just goes down to standard gamma settings with no apparent reason).

I really play all the game with +2.2-2.5 gamma settings and I use such settings only for PS and nothing else (all the rest, except some text at the PS site goes horribly bright). So IMO the problem is in PS, not in my PC.

My experience with torch is that you don't see much more in fact: you emit light but the light doesn't go far or is not reflected in the environs. You see the same as without torch. Tweaking gamma is what works for me (brightness to but it's ugly).

so you have a nvidia card, i know a way around the gamma on thouse, go to controll pannel and in on nvidia nview desktop manager and place hotkeys on gamma, theres even a reset function in there, i use that if the ingame gamma gets too low like it does sometimes. no more need to go into and manualy change the setting the old way, just hit a few key combinations and you got yourself a brighter screen.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 02:50:39 pm »
By design any new graphic features will be able to be adjusted, at minimum on/off.

nightwolf

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 06:47:33 am »
Nice. WIll these come in the next patch?
Also, I sugest lanterns wich should light better and lighting swords like in neverwinter nights 2.

kburts

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 07:33:25 pm »
this'll be nice in the death realm!!!

Maju

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 05:13:01 pm »
Sorry for the belated reply but some impossible bugs (sticky floor, continuous crashes) in the previous release really got me out of the game for a while as it was a total pain.

I really appreciate the new improved brightness switch of 0.5, which does not anymore produce ugly colors (same monitor yet). However I think it's bugged because now and then it just doesn't work, specially in "those dark places", where brightness control doesn't seem to work at all (feature?), but sometimes also suddenly drops wherever else and, then, either you can revert it by increasing brightness more or you just can't tweak the brightness at all and all looks pretty dark even at noon (again nothing of this happens with any other program, only PS). Should I report this as a bug?

Anyhow it'd be nice if we could save brightness settings for the game in general, so it's not needed to tweak brightness every single time you get in.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 05:54:38 pm »
no because it isn't the death realm doesn't have a crystal light so you can't make it brighter.
Also this topic talks about dynamic lights which are a different thing.
third you can use your video card settings to change gamma (2-3 for crt)  almost all games require this.

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 07:45:20 am »
Where can I change gama for PS? I didn't found it anywhere in PS settings.
My card is ATI Radeon Mobility X300 using fglrx driver
OS Linux OpenSUSE 10.3 (because in 11.2 I can't install proprietary driver fglrx for this card)

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 09:04:23 am »
Where can I change gama for PS? I didn't found it anywhere in PS settings.
My card is ATI Radeon Mobility X300 using fglrx driver
OS Linux OpenSUSE 10.3 (because in 11.2 I can't install proprietary driver fglrx for this card)
catalyst control center