Author Topic: Bug Drive!  (Read 12883 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Drive!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:42 am »
I believe, some bugs (especially about icons) can already be fixed just by an approval by a responsible leading art developer and an assignment in a database ... ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 01:44:20 am »
Items marked as requiring confirmation or check on trunk need to be reviewed by checking out through the CVS and compiling, correct? Just unsure as to the exact meaning of those entries, thanks. Folks, Xillix is not being dramatic in his above post, the amount of work that needs to be done is impressive.
Most bugs requiring confirmation or more info, can be done with the binary install client. Just check the comments in the bugs to see if it ONLY happens on trunk :)
With most of the bugs, the problem is not just confirmation (no need to just say 'me too!'), but to figure out in what cases it happens, and then find a way to reproduce. At the point where we have a recipe "Go here, do that, crash" we can figure out where the problem is and find someone to fix it :).

Also thanks to everyone who already added info, found related bugs, etc. I saw that activity (besides everything Xillix and other staff are doing at the moment) has increased a lot.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:06 am »
for example it would be useful if someone figured out how to reproduce this: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=2354
the code doesn't show really the problem (and it's difficult to track as this thing works in various quite separate parts of code) yet I've seen it happening some times (mostly on clients crashing during login, but was unable to reproduce by forcing a client quit (SIGKILL kill -9) or other means to terminate it during loading)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 08:32:57 am »
Yes best practice is to tell your hardware

confirm bug

produce precise instructions on how to reproduce it (meaning how someone on test team would make it happen)

For the "investigate this on trunk" bugs that's a check to see if the bug persists for you in the experimental version of PS.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:15 am »
Kill kill kill!

Before it is too late.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:37 pm »
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=2446  <---------- Community to the rescue.

Thanks to everyone so far who helped out.

Please folks this needs to broaden out, we need more support from more people, right now only a handful have even lifted a finger to help out.

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=2977  <---------- Community to the rescue.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 10:29:57 pm »
I spent about 40 minutes on the first one, but couldn't get anything to noticeably happen on 3 different characters. But I have great ping times.

The second one I cannot help out on, but it doesn't surprise me, being Windows. Maybe someone set a drink down on the machine and triggered a bluescreen.

Please folks this needs to broaden out, we need more support from more people

Getting a lot of people with different systems to review these and post feedback is key to getting problems worked out. Thanks for posting direct links, Xillix.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 07:58:30 am »
Verden: thanks for testing, but could you information about your characters to that bug report too?
And could people try with weak characters (i.e., a new xacha with 30 STR :) ). If there really still is a problem with starting characters not being able to walk for more than a minute, it needs to be changed.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 09:35:42 am »
Lanarel - just what I did (custom created Lemur: STR = 22, END = 17 ~ myastenia): I could walk this char almost twice along the Tutorial parcours.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »
Arguing about rp vs pl is far less effective for the good of Planeshift than helping here. Come on folks, show the love!

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:20 pm »
I created 12 new characters using the Quick setup option, making them all Street Warriors and then ran each for 10 seconds to try and establish a baseline. I will try to check other actions across all of them, as I understand running is not the only problem. But thats it for today, thanks.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2009, 07:10:25 pm »
Verden: sounds like a great test. Check lighs last findings in that bug. Seems that especially weak chars with filled inventory (for his weak one 5 ore or so I guess) get exhausted pretty fast. A few more data about that (so not only empty inventory) would be perfect.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 07:16:03 pm »
My starting assumption was that Quick Setup characters maybe don't have the problem. Of course to really check it, I think you would need 72 characters LOL. If anyone can envision short tests that can be used to compare all of these characters for other actions, that would help. I suppose the next thing to do would be to get timings for all of them with filled inventories. Then test all with empty and filled inventories when fighting a rat to the death. Then check zoning across instances with empty and full inventories. Oh god... kill me now.

I am also admittedly not completely fluent with searching the tracker, my apologies if any of my entries are duplicates.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:19:21 pm by verden »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 09:52:57 pm »
This keeps getting supplanted by low consequence discussions.

We still need more active help.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 01:05:27 am »
Advertize rewards, Xillix...  :sorcerer: -- Ah, no second Xiosiamas. :surrender:
__

Question: On a system with ATI Radeon 9250 and Catalyst 6.x (newer versions don't support 9250 anymore), I have issues colliding with the geometry, e.g. while walking into a ladder, the rendering speed drops to a few seconds per frame.

Is this related to ladder climbing issues at all? Is this related to !leaf issues instead? Is there any other issue related enough? Or is this worth a whole separate issue?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador