Author Topic: Spawn Point now in Hydlaa for all.  (Read 6597 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Spawn Point now in Hydlaa for all.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 02:21:25 am »
Lag is not due to map bugs. It is due to the very bad shaders that use a lot of your computers RAM, CPU, GPU.

No ... in case of polygon mesh maps, it is mainly the rather inefficient culler (the routine which calculates the invisible parts of the map which don't need to be sent to the graphic card to be rendered); that is calculated with the CPU before.

Many games use precalculated "Binary Space Partition" data to store "Potentially Visible Sets" (e.g. glBSP + glVis for several OpenGL DOOM engines, BSP in Quake, etc.); but such techniques work more efficiently with "indoor levels" where always only a small fraction of the whole map is visible from each point.

Shaders are not the bottleneck of the rendering. We could have a lot more effects of lighting and surface structure without very noticable decrease of framerate, if the reduction to only the required surfaces was more efficient.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:24:42 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 03:55:19 am »
* Roled smiles.
LigH you consistently amaze me. Even though I don't understand
anything you just said, the point is, YOU do! And other tech savants
do. And that is just so cool!

When I grow up I want to be like LigH...
but I fear I would have to start studying in my previous lifetime just to catch up ...

:thumbup:
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 06:43:47 am »
No ... in case of polygon mesh maps, it is mainly the rather inefficient culler (the routine which calculates the invisible parts of the map which don't need to be sent to the graphic card to be rendered); that is calculated with the CPU before.

it's also due to the way some of our maps are designed (i.e. many objects that could be merged together stay seperate, objects have a number of submeshes, etc.) which in combination with the only "somewhat efficient" culler causes quite some lag *still hopes for a performance increase with the hardware culling*

anyway, agreed, it's definetely not the shaders. just the other way round, those help making things go faster as quite a lot can be done on the gpu which is usually not that loaded (compared to the cpu) atm.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »
It won't be reversed for ages... 200 players lol they're joking, they're just waiting for someone to get fed up and pay for some advertising for them :P
there were 200 people or more in 4.03, but thats ecuase it was damn near lag-free, if they would pay more attention to lag, then map bugs or textures or music or whatever, more epople might play,

And people dont have to get 'fed up' to want to offfer money to the team, i've wanted to give money from day 1, i just dont have any money to offer. i can't get a job right nw either, since i never have any time for one, what with school and taking care of my grandpa who had a stroke...

I know they nearly had 300 players. I am saying it is a joke because having such a rare game (not advertised) with ridiculous minimum requirements (that will definitely be upped by 1.0  ::| ) they're crazy thinking players will all of a sudden start playing more often.
Lag is not due to map bugs. It is due to the very bad shaders that use a lot of your computers RAM, CPU, GPU. If there was any map bug, it would probably be some lighting bug.

Lol offer money, money won't get this game anywhere. Make some maps they're easy just learn how to use Blander.
it took these developers 8 years to get to 5.4 , you honestly think peple are still goiong to have their old computers from year 2000 in another 8 years? they will at least have the computers that are new now, but may be old then, and i doubt anyone will hae a single problem with ps then
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 06:16:32 am »
Yes LigH, you are right, you are always right.

@Roled what I think he means is that most information doesn't use the GPU (Graphics card) but other hardware in a computer, and also that PlaneShift is just a mass of complex mesh, codes and other stuff, and of course needs more polishing off  :P

@Earowo, no lets say the laptop I am using at the moment which can run PS with shaders on lowest and background loading and most things disabled, probably will definitely not run 1.0 in 8-10 years. This laptop was bought around 2007-2008. My PC that was bought around 2000 can't run 0.5 but could run 0.4.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:19:56 am by Vakachehk »
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 07:28:03 am »
Not always.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 08:25:31 pm »
Yes LigH, you are right, you are always right.

@Roled what I think he means is that most information doesn't use the GPU (Graphics card) but other hardware in a computer, and also that PlaneShift is just a mass of complex mesh, codes and other stuff, and of course needs more polishing off  :P

@Earowo, no lets say the laptop I am using at the moment which can run PS with shaders on lowest and background loading and most things disabled, probably will definitely not run 1.0 in 8-10 years. This laptop was bought around 2007-2008. My PC that was bought around 2000 can't run 0.5 but could run 0.4.
mabey you should try something other then a laptop, my PC made by DELL is not only a hand-me-down from my sister who thought virus protection was a waste of space, but was made around 2003-02 has a lot less ram then your current day comps, runs PS on medium everything with sound turned on just fine, it lags but it runs just fine. i have win-XP and ATI, but i think pc's run better then lap-tops just what i see, my dad got a comp custom made for 1200$ and it runs PS on max with sound and its completely lag-free, its not a lot of money, and anyone with a decent job can save up for a PC just like it in a few months
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy

Abuse?

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 09:24:51 am »

it depends on the kind of laptop you get.
if you get a gaming one, you will - surprise - have a lot less issues playin games. however - unlike desktop PCs as mentioned by Earowo - most laptops aren't made for playing games.

the majority is designed for *work* (may it be business, office, ...) which means that they may be quite powerful for certain tasks, however lack many features needed to play games (e.g. some intel graphics card is perfectly fine if you just want to do spreadsheet stuff and some calculus, etc. while you'll have serious issues if you want to start playing games).

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:30 pm »
Lol my desktop PC I can't even see where I am going. I shouldn't need a 'gaming laptop' Planeshift should just make their setting more optional if you want Shaders or not, if you want good lighting, or not so good lighting, if you want weather enabled or weather disabled.

I wouldn't have a clue what the laptop is. It's a fairly good one, but probably won't be able to handle anymore ups in the requirements.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 10:57:42 pm »
Planeshift should just make their setting more optional if you want Shaders or not, if you want good lighting, or not so good lighting, if you want weather enabled or weather disabled.

for weather: it'll be in the next update.
for shaders (which includes lighting): it's simply not practically possible to disable them all together. it'd require thousands of lines of code and a big budget to buy old hardware to test on (which is quite expensive compared to new one) to write fallbacks which would probably still be useless as the system couldn't really handle it either way.
really... that's simply not practically possible - especially not with a engine developed by a hand full of people doing it in their free time.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 12:26:40 am »
Lol my desktop PC I can't even see where I am going. I shouldn't need a 'gaming laptop' Planeshift should just make their setting more optional if you want Shaders or not, if you want good lighting, or not so good lighting, if you want weather enabled or weather disabled.

I wouldn't have a clue what the laptop is. It's a fairly good one, but probably won't be able to handle anymore ups in the requirements.
I have more information, about your computer priceing problem, If you go to a company that makes computers, you can get a computer custom made, ranging from 200-1200 dollors,
When you get a PC custom made you can get it to work specifically for what you want, my dad got his computer custom made for both work and games, he got the best graphics card, best dvd drive and things as that, he paid 1200$ for it, my mom got her computer custom made as well, some parts in it are older then others but it runs planeshift almost as perfectly as my dads, she only paid 200$ she didnt even get the computer made for games, it was just luckily compatible XD
point is, if you get your computer custom made, instead of buying the cheapest one yuou see on the shelf, you get a lot more out of it, for a decently low price.

Abuse?

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 02:00:41 am »

I have more information, about your computer priceing problem, If you go to a company that makes computers, you can get a computer custom made, ranging from 200-1200 dollors,
When you get a PC custom made you can get it to work specifically for what you want, my dad got his computer custom made for both work and games, he got the best graphics card, best dvd drive and things as that, he paid 1200$ for it, my mom got her computer custom made as well, some parts in it are older then others but it runs planeshift almost as perfectly as my dads, she only paid 200$ she didnt even get the computer made for games, it was just luckily compatible XD
point is, if you get your computer custom made, instead of buying the cheapest one yuou see on the shelf, you get a lot more out of it, for a decently low price.

depends where you buy that's usually not the truth except if you are lucky with special offers or can save on components somehow. Probably also depends on where you live... I usually find the separate components to be more costly than a full computer. Also be careful when buying computers in malls: they usually modify the laptop design from the original manufacturer design by removing components or putting in more cheap ones. I've seen my laptop in one of those still only it was half baked compared and already old just out of the box. So be really careful how, where and of which brand you get a computer (note also some brands are expensive when taking a pre-built computer so if you compare to those a self built one could be better). Also not always "best of all" is really "best idea of all": in the video card department for example it could be more cheap and better on the long run to buy 2 mid end cards than 1 high end card: this letting alone that some people might have a different idea of best. For example i consider ati a nightmare and stay away from it.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 02:30:00 am »
an 7000M is the deep low end it has only 1 pixel/vertex shader it can be categorized as an intel card almost. plus if you want to do comparations you must use wow in opengl mode and regardless i don't see why we have to compare with it.
Also your claims are of no use without a gpuz check of gpu load (you have to check also you've allocated enough ram to it as it's an integrated card not studied to run games) and cpu load (sempron from amd are not cheap low performance cpu whathever the clock they run at. worse than celerons).
Also did you compare fps? looking like being more fluid doesn't make a game performing better. oblivion can be played well at 7-14fps. planeshift can't because it has a mouse which is handled in software (you can switch to hardware mouse in windows then it will look more fluid)

edit: actually it looks worse than intel card http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-7000M.8842.0.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:34:51 am by weltall »

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 12:10:12 am »
Can you please change it back.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 01:57:16 am »
No. That would mean to downgrade the whole development efforts from the current version 1.9 of the CrystalSpace 3D engine PlaneShift is based on, back to the rather outdated version 1.4 with a lot of missing features we will need in the future.

You want to play games? Use hardware which allows you. You wouldn't play DOOM 3 or Riddick either on your machine. PlaneShift may currently not look like those, though ... but already uses the same rendering techniques which enable us to make it look much better "soon™"... hopefully.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador