Author Topic: Factions As Real Organizations.  (Read 6973 times)

Rigwyn

Re: Factions As Real Organizations.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 11:42:46 am »
It seems that one's alignment with a faction should be known only to a limited extent. If I do a favor for the Conclave for example, then those Conclave members who know of my positive alignment with their faction might be influenced by it. Those members who are unaware of my good deeds should be oblivious to it. If on the other hand that organization knew me by name and discussed my good deeds amongst themselves and made it known within the faction then it would make sense for all members of their faction to treat me accordingly.

It might make sense for a person to at some point identify themselves to the faction for continuity. I might trust a person more if I knew who they were, their acquaintances, where they live and other personal information. Likewise if I was to infiltrate a faction I would probably not give them such information. Perhaps to gain a very high level of trust a character might need to make themselves very vulnerable to the faction ( ie. selling your soul, taking an oath on one's life etc.. )

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 12:46:56 pm »
Doesn't have to be symmetrical, after all Nicole de Boer hates me (well she never answers my phone calls and set the police on me after getting a restraining order against me for stalking ;) ) but I dont hate her :)
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 01:50:19 pm »
Rygwyn for this to work we're going to have to assume that a faction does in fact speak about you by  name, broadcast information about you to other members etc. Among npcs this will be the case because in order to advance we're going to depend on npcs detecting faction for someone to even be able to get the advanced quests.

Infiltration of factions is something we're concerned with and some factions will have means to infiltrate, and mechanics to do so, but a player "lying" to get to max faction in a diametrically opposed faction while Rping that they belong to another is godmodding. I want you to understand my allegiance to thieves should never be in question, my allegiance to having a means for evil rp to succeed and be endorsed by the settings is absolute. It's just that it is much more difficult to write, plan for, or code.

As for other players knowing your faction, that's a discussion that the development team is considering. For the most part, MY intent is that you will have powers abilities and items specific to the factions you've advanced into the upper ranks of. An individual players determination to USE that stuff in front of other players is his or her own to make. Just because I have the "Staff of Talad's Eye" doesn't mean I have to run around with it.

For infiltrating player guilds and such forth like that, that is not dependent on mechanics it is done within RP, but we may choose high level spells eventually that will hide a players loyalties while others may help to divine the loyalties of others.

There will always be a need for a degree of suspension of disbelief and respect of IC/OOC knowledge in any rpg.

Also about factions liking or disliking each other: it won't be symmetrical. Blackflame is the enemy of existence itself, those organizations which know of its presence will seek to disrupt, dismantle, unmask, destroy it. Blackflame hates everyone equally.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:31:01 pm by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »
Excellent XIllix and team. I like this idea alot and hope it will amke the game have a much better depth and help players to focus the RP. One thing I would like to see implemented at some point in future (if possible, I am sure it will be a pain to code) is guilds aligned with factions i.e. Knowledge seekers with Octarchal Academy (Education), ifthe guild can raise its standing witin the faction to 100 they could be rewarded with an appropriate for example a guildhouse to act as a university.

Even if that can't be done I look forward to what you are proposing being implemented. \\o//
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Rheos

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • The Way of the Hammer
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 04:14:59 pm »
* Rheos puts his tongue firmly in cheek and suggests that the Hammerwielder faction should be called "The Way of The Hammer"   :innocent:

Seriously, brilliant idea Xillix, Ill start scratching my head to see if I can come up with any real faction ideas.
Rheos

Keeper of the Hammer
---------------------------------

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 04:25:18 pm »
Rygwyn for this to work we're going to have to assume that a faction does in fact speak about you by  name, broadcast information about you to other members etc. Among npcs this will be the case because in order to advance we're going to depend on npcs detecting faction for someone to even be able to get the advanced quests.

I would suggest this talk about you only applies to the open or public factions. The hidden groups, like the Cabal should rely more on markings, secret handshakes or pass phrases. As you advance you learn the higher level recognition signals and their npcs only admit to their faction if you give the right signals. I think that would do much to emphasize their hidden character.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »
Thanks for this post ...
As I and a few others are currently organizing the Sons of Xiosia, SoX as a Religious Society and NOT a Guild ( so in your terms, a faction) we're very interested in your ideas. I will give it some thought and post when I have some time to consider- thanks for the great example Xillix.

The one thing that immediately occurs to me is a series of quests of non-violent nature-maybe evenutally leading the the implemetation of potions and alchemy as crafting levels, and player made potions with postive effects on friends (rathr than enemies) stats, etc.

I'm not a techie or a developer or even very computer saavy so I can't help at all in those departments. But this is a great idea and leads to all kinds of potential paths that Roled sees as alternatives to killing for points.

Thanks!
I'll post again just wanted to thank you for opening this discussion. Very exciting!

Roled Rolak
Carrier of Xiosia's Song
Sons of Xiosia

May The Goddess spread before ye a carpet of charmflowers and surround yer blades with compassion.

Cognate
Knowledge Seekers Guild

PS If anyone is interested in becoming a student at the KS University, or in participating in rps with the SoX (and our partners of course the DoX, as well as representatives from many other Guilds) please look for me in game or leave me a message, or a message at the Stonehead as Roled goes there daily fer deep conversation with Elady and the DoX, and of course fer the best pie in all Ylikum. Thankee!
Citizen
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Rigwyn

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 02:29:30 pm »
Would this faction system be implemented after a stat wipe or before a stat wipe?

I am writing a proposal for the Dark Order and have some ideas for rewards that would need to be worked out differently depending on if there would be a stat wipe or not.

Also, should proposed ideas be posted to this forum or should they be PM'd to a GM ?
Putting ideas for quests and rewards on this forum could be spoilerish.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
I have a thought/idea:

It would be nice if based on player RPs that are general knowledge, characters could get minor faction bonuses from GMs.

It of course would have to be arranged beforehand and at the sole discretion of the GMs/Settings.

Also would help for GM events too.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 12:25:00 am »
It would be nice if based on player RPs that are general knowledge, characters could get minor faction bonuses from GMs.

keeping the mechanics in mind it'd render faction lockouts useless because you could bypass them that way
additionally it'd get you out of sync for factions vs. quest progress in that faction
summing it up while it might be a good idea at first thought, it could lead to problems as it'd bypass the intended behaviour and might support godmodding (e.g. progressing in a faction that shouldn't be possible)

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 01:21:51 am »
when this is done factions won't be attribuited anymore from gm

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 05:07:21 am »
Well, I thought GMs could view factions, and therefore could easily see that PlayerX is past the lockout point for a certain faction.

It's just there are several players who don't quest much for faction points, because they're running a player RP or continually taking part in player RPs.

Perhaps we could come up with a player faction system as a community idea.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:40 am »
Some people have responded to this via PM, I suggest now that anyone with ideas just publish them here for others to see and comment on!

Rigwyn

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 03:20:40 pm »
Ok, Taking a stab at the Keepers of the Veil.

-Dakkru - Keepers of the Veil

Overview

"Keepers of the Veil" is a powerful religious sect that worships Dakkru, the goddess of death who inhabits the death realm. They are comitted to serving Dakkru and promoting Dakkru worship.

Insignia

* Wrath Rat

History

Prior to the crystal eclipse a rather disheveled Yilian named Sellio Bahr found himself layning half conscious up on the death realm floor. He picked himself up and staggered about in a daze as he tried to shake an enchanting dream from his head.

Sellio had died some time earlier as a result of falling from a steep one day while en route to the Eagle fort. He and his wife were highly respected followers of Xiosia, both working hard towards higher initiation in their faith. He thought of her for a moment only to be interrupted by the recollection of his dream.

He had dreamed that he met a young woman named Dakkru. She was lithe and lean. Her supple limbs were smooth and soft, her eyes were green like emeralds. No matter how he tried he could not shake her out of his head. He was so obsessed with this image that he almost didn't want to leave. What if this woman of his dreams was wandering here in the realm of death. He couldn't leave.. not just yet. Perhaps she was somewhere to be found. His wife could wait.

He closed his eyes to recall the image and to his surprise the memory was crystal clear. He imagined that she spoke to him with a teasing smile and open arms. "Follow me" she whispered as she waved a dagger near her own heart. He continued to sit there gazing into nowhere. He listened to her whisper the details of a secret ritual. One through which they might meet.

Inspired, he ran about killing rats and collecting their innards and bones. He made circle on the floor with the remains and laid inside it face down, arms and legs spread to touch the circumference. He began to sing a melody to Dakkru the best he could. Upon completion he reached for his dagger and propped it between the floor and his chest with the point aimed at his heart. He sang the last verse of his prayerful song as held himself up with his palms and feet. On the final note he let go. His body fell upon the dagger which found its way into his heart. He died within the minute with a painful cry.

The citadel turned black and a warm breeze that smelt and tasted like rotten flesh blew through the realm kicking up swirls of dust and debris. He found himself floating, suspended in mid air. His arms and legs hung at his sides. He looked forward staring into the impenetrable darkness. Without notice, a woman's face appeared in front of him. It was as large as a building and while its features were pleasing he was frighted like never before. He breathed in for what felt like minutes, unable to exhale. His hair stood on end and his body began to crackle with enchantment from his head to his toes. Slowly the unimaginable fear was transformed into elation as the goddes spoke, "Sellio, you shall be my priest, and I your goddess." The breeze escalated into a howling forceful blast of air and filth which blew the rats and book all over the citadel. She cried, "Build my temple Sellio. I command you !" . Sellio felt as if his body would explode. His face felt like a sheet flapping in the wind, his clothing slapped his body fiercely as tears flew from his face. He tried with all his might to nod in agreement but the escalating wind thrashed it about at will. She smiled playfully as she witnessed his sheer helplessness and sensed his willingness to serve. As a final show of power she let the wind blow his body freely. It flew through the air like a toy and met a wall with a series of snaps and a thud. The wind died down and his body fell to the ground, broken and bruised. "Yes my goddess" he whispered though cracked and bleeding lips, "I will serve."

Goals

To promote the worship of Dakkru and to offer her sacrifices in hopes of strengthening her and possible receiving her blessing. To offer to the goddess the lives of those who have lived a truly good life.

Methods

Promotion of Dakkruism is done mainly by teaching fellow citizens about how their life is sustained by death in one form or another. Dakkru is the final destination of all souls. Those who worship Dakkru and forsake the other gods will find greater peace and happiness with her when their body ceases to return to the living. For those citizens who are a little darker in nature, they may be taught to view Dakkru as a god who understands and supports their violent nature. Dakkru followers will also make regular sacrifices ranging from simple animal sacrifices to high masses in which she is offered the life of someone who has lived a good life. ( permadeath )

Important members
* Londris, Rulayne, Arden Phostle, Oriven

Allies
* Dark Order, Onyx Dagger, Cutthroats

Enemies
* Seeds of Wildwood, Crystal Order

Rewards at 10
* 5,000 Tria

Rewards at 20
* Ceremonial Robe ( Black robe, image of skull on back )

Rewards at 30
* Dakkru Temple Access

Rewards at 40
* Ring of Dakkru - Has the Veil's insignia on it. Lessens Dakkru's curse a little and can be used to stamp/seal  letters for rp.

Rewards at 50
* Winch Access

Rewards at 60
* Amulet of the Dead  +5 CHA, +5 STR +5 AGI (These are stats a fighter/hunder would benefit from)

Rewards at 70
* Ceremonial Dark Dagger - for RP sacrifices. Perhaps it drains life with each hit - similar to "weakness" or "necrotouch"

Rewards at 80
* Choice of weapon: Dark (Staff,Sword,Dagger,Club) of the Veil  ( With nice buff.. perhaps +15 Str )

Rewards at 90
Title of Low Priest
- Low Priest's role is to liase between the community of followers and the High Priest
- Ability to bless certain items (ie. weapons, armor ) giving them a light buff ( perhaps +5 Str +5 Agi )
- Ability to marry and divorce

Rewards at 100
Title of Priest
- Priest's role is to liase between the community and Dakkru
- Ability to curse ( light version of Dakkru's curse )
- Perhaps Dakkru would consider an occasional petition from them. Ie, the priest might request a cameo, a quest for the followers, some guidance ( Dakkru might use the priest to steer the community in a direction )

( High Priest status would be reserved for NPC's and above )

Quest Suggestions

Early quests might introduce the character to other Dakkru worshiping npc's 
Middle quests might have the character cause some harm to non-dakkru npc's
Latest quests might had the character:

murder a xiosia or crystal-way priest
  commit a serious crime against nature which causes the death of many
  convert a xiosia following ncp to Dakkruism.

The Winch quest might involve a plot to nab a rich, elderly business owner who has been a pillar to the community and has been afortunate enough to have seen his children grow up and prosper. The winch might be full of such prosperous souls. The Keepers of the Veil might keep a close eye on this sector for this very reason. They might have a front .. perhaps they too have a business that is established in the winch. Unknown to anyone members of the Veil work there quietly. I have some ideas for what this business might be about too  :devil:

Edit: Added last paragraph

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:13:40 am by Rigwyn »

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 03:34:32 am »
The Song of Xiosia

{aka Xillix's Seeds of Wildwood}

Author: Roled Rolak
with thanks to Elady and the Daughters of Xiosia \\o//, and apologies to Rigwyn! :devil: hehhehee

-Overview:
The Song of Xiosia are dedicated followers and protectors of the sacred teachings of Xiosia, the Goddess, the Keeper of Balance and Nature in our world. The Song of Xiosia have allied with the Sons and Daughters of Xiosia and other Guilds of Yliakum to protect the common good. We assume friendship and integrity in all others, until proven otherwise. Devotees are organized to follow Nature as reveal by Xiosia, by fostering the growth of equality, community, strength used to protect the common good and spiritual advancement.

Insignia:
The Ruqua Tree with Xiosia’s image within a Circle

Goals: {The Oath}
Freely and without coercion, devotees of the Song of Xiosia will Provide for the needy, Protect the threatened, Celebrate Nature, Behave with Balance, and Honor Xiosia’s Spirit in Thoughts and Deeds.

Methods:
All devotees are committed to taking time to introduce themselves to and assist new arrivals, many of whom may be in need of tria, food and warm clothing. It is our philosophy that all are offspring of the Goddess, whether in a guild or not, and it is part of our oath to provide for the needy.

All devotees endeavor to act in peace and non-violence except in cases of hunting for food, survival [training] or when someone is threatened by an evil or Dark force, for this is part of our oath, to protect the threatened. When a devotee does kill, he should make amends with atonements to Xiosia and the slain entity. A senseless killing is an act against our Circles, our Communities and the Goddess Herself.

All devotees agree to study the ways of and writings about Xiosia, to attend Community -building lectures and discussions, and to participate in active service to the People, for that is our oath, to honor the Goddesses’ spirit in thoughts and deeds.

Important members:
* Roled, Elady, Dragonis, Deror, Qata, Lodisto, Dannae, Narthen, Yahh,

Allies
* Crystal Order, Brown Order, Azure Order, Blue Order, Dermorian, Nolthrir, Alchemists, Herbalists, Scientists, Horticulturalists, Octarchal Academy, University of Yliakum

Enemies
* Dark Order, Onyx Dagger, Cutthroats, Forbidden Arcanists, Black Flame (except we don’t really know who those folks are), Rigwyn… :sweatdrop:

-Friendly NPCs: Jardet, Drok, Grok, Charisa, Vladovic, Leira, Mulok, Gulm, Derghirs, Tarmeen, Zhaomal, Datal, Amidison, Joshoky (sp?), Brintec, Aleena, Allelia, Levrus, cooks, artists, crafters, the performers whose names I forget… {others}
-Less than Friendly NPCs: Zak, Thorian, Eneck, Kaiman, Remillion, sewer dwellers, Camp Banished denizens, slashers and killers and exploiters and power mongers…

Rewards at 10
* 25,000 Tria
Glyph of the Goddess- a glyph that befriends monsters, allowing then to drop their loot one time a day without being killed

Rewards at 20
* Xiosia’s Eye (a headdress in the shape of atree adorned with feathers, gemstones, laurel wreaths and a large crystal in the center) :flowers:

Rewards at 30
* Death Realm debuff

Rewards at 40
* Ring of Xiosia- Has the Song’s crest on it. Paralyzes all attackers for 3 seconds: can be used to stamp/seal letters for rp
*Winch access via Jardet and Pawprech

Rewards at 50
* Crystal Rivnik, a red and orange beast, true descendant of Xiosia’s own Rivnik, that never runs out of stamina  \\o//
Rewards at 60
* Amulet of Nature: Reads opponents stats instantly, plus adds  +5 CHA, +5 INT+5 END (These are stats a naturalist would benefit from)
* Access to the secret Library of Jayose that contains recipes for magic poultices and remedies
Rewards at 70
* Aura of Nature – A cloak for RP healings, it could add mana each time the wearer is hit by an attacker.
Rewards at 80
* Choice of weapon: Crystal (Staff, Sword, Dagger) of Peace  ( With buff.. perhaps +15 Int )
Rewards at 90
*Xiosia’s Lumenium Silverweave Sword of Enlightened Peace- a sword that glows, blinding everyone, that paralyzes without killing and when armed, prevents all but the strongest opponents from even landing a blow on you!
Rewards at 100
*Title of Xiosia’s Voice, Oracle of the Goddess
- The Oracle’s role is to interpret signs in nature and translate the speech of animals to the community of followers
- Ability to bless certain items (i.e. weapons, armor, glyphs) giving them increased power
* Glyph of the Ruqua Tree- gives the bearer the ability to pass through the Death Realm without running to the exit, and the ability of the bearer to pass to the top of the Eagle Bronze Doors (to Zhaomel’s field) without running up the hill, no problem. If I only could I’d make a deal with ___ and get h__ to swap our places…
 :whistling:

- Ability to endow herbs with healing energy that can be given to friends and those in need
- Ability to marry and divorce and adjudicate ethical {not judicial} disputes {rp}
- Perhaps Xiosia would consider an occasional petition from the Oracles, such as appearing at certain events and festivals, granting favors or access to a quest only for devotees, some guidance (Xiosia might use the priest to steer the community in a direction )

Quest Suggestions :
Since Song of Xiosia devotees are encouraged to learn the stories and sacred teachings of Xiosia, quests could involve time meditating and divining, studying in the Library and fact finding, helping NPC’s plan and get supplies for  ceremonies, rituals and festivals, planting and harvesting crops, and learning and practicing herbal healing skills. In addition, quests could follow three internal paths, those of

•   Xiosia’s Shield~  The Shield is the path for those that are committed to defend, with their lives if need be, the weak or the threatened as an expression of the sacred truth of Balance. The Shield quests are for a defensive warrior who acts to protector those that are vulnerable or persecuted. A Shield path quest will require characters to train in mastering the art of defensive dueling, weaponry and the crafts of smithing, blade maker or weaponry repairs.

•   Xiosia’s Staff~  The Staff is what we lean upon, and what holds us all erect in our world. The Staff is also the receptacle of Magic and Power that our Goddess herself has gifted to a few followers who have found her favor. Staff is the path of growth  for devotees with an appreciation for commerce for the common good, and those who wish to excel in a craft, trade or skill. Those embarking on Staff quests would work towards mastering a trade. Staff is expected to always respect and honor Our Goddesses’ teachings as they flourish in their trade, so quests could involving making things that NPC’s need, or finding custom items.

Xiosia’s Song~  Those who enter the path of the Song would be trained and tested in quests involving the arts of healing and artistic expression. The Song quests would be designed for those who wish to practice a devotion to the Goddess through acts of non-violence, preservation, knowledge, beauty and kindness.  Quests could involve protecting temples, gardens and followers. Song devotees could be asked by NPCs to help organize parties, prayers, concerts, herb gatherings, potion making, magic healings that celebrate nature and balance.

Early quests might introduce the character to herbalist npc's  and locations of herbs, plants and farmers.
Middle quests might have the character heal some illnesses or injuries with herbs and poultices
Latest quests might have the character make potions to enhance healing spells {buff by increasing speed of recovery} or increase the yield of mines, ores, plants and spawn rates of animals

- requested art
*Glyph of the Goddess glyph
*Xiosia’s Eye headdress
*Crystal Rivnik- orange or red!
* Crystal weapons of Peace
*Amulet of Nature
*Aura of Nature cloak
*Xiosia’s Temple of Trees
*Xiosia’s Lumenium Silverweave Sword of Enlightened Peace
Glyph of the Ruqua Tree
*Oracle of the Goddess- a shimmering, color changing crown with jewels hanging down the sides and back, shaped like a Holy Helmet, with the crest inset in the front and a pulsing crystal gem in the center of the forehead

-requested locations
*Maybe a couple of new NPCs who are farmers and who raise animals in one of the dead end canyons ?
*Jayose’s Inner Library of Herbs, Potions and Alchemy
*Xiosia’s Temple of Trees- an offshoot of the forest path, with an outer ring of trees shaped like a Stonehenge grove, that is open to all, and an inner glen of ruqua trees, a waterfall, a glade of flowers and benign animals, rare and powerful herbs, a bonfire site, some tables and feasting areas, and a canopy of shimmering crystals reflecting light, that requires faction access {like Winch Access}. The grove could also have mines for gemstones.

Faction Attraction:
Xiosians as a faction, to my current knowledge and experience, don’t yet exist in quests. Yet the largest percentage of players by far claim devotion to the Goddess.  :sorcerer: There’s the clean slate!

Thankee fer listening!
Roled Rolak
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala