Author Topic: [COMMUNITY] Shindroks Crater Project  (Read 1787 times)

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
[COMMUNITY] Shindroks Crater Project
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:24:54 pm »
Hi All
While we are waiting on next update, I want to take this opportunity to announce a new community based project. The aim of this project is to enable you the community to be able to contribute to the game. The project will expand current history and give a multi path quest chain, new NPC's, new caves to explore with a new boss mob. So here is some info on the project which is being lead by myself and Zunna.

Background
Dark rumours have grown in Ojaveda about a dark presence coming from Shindroks crater. Various rumours of raids on supply caravans are increasing. Certain items are being harder to acquire. Concern is growing but the Octarchy/Vegisimi is playing it down, publically stating it is only rumor and nothing more. In private they have asked the head of the guard to keep an eye out just in case. Some believe Shindrok the mad has returned.

Quests
Quests are designed to follow currently 3 flexible paths merchant, rogue, warrior.

Books
Books exploring, History of Gods Laanx and Dakkru as well as of Lemur and character such as Shindrok. Some of which are developed.

Maps
Multi map cave with secret entrances, and complete rogue society inside.

Things to be done
Art
•   New texture for Jade Serpents and Jade Cutthroats based on rogue model.
Settings
•   New Books??
       o    If relevant and fit settings to provide more history based lore.
•   Character descriptions (Should be done by players)
•   Quests
      o         A form will be provided giving player outline of what is required in quest
      o         A step by step process will be used to enable players to more easily create quests
   A basic outline to be written by player
   Dialog to then be done
   Format using quest syntax
Rules
•   Potions of skill boost-using herbalism
      o         Step by step process will be used
   Plan what skills to boost and what will boost them
   Plan process based on existing
   Enter data into sheet
•   black market items
      o         Plan what will be black market
      o         Plan who sells etc.
•   setup the waypoint network for the cave and test it
•   NPC’s
      o         Skills, traits, attribute, inventory etc
      o         Loot rules
      o         Behaviours
•   Action Locations
      o         Way in/out
      o         Mechanisms
      o         description on items
•   Items in cave
      o         Furniture
      o         Storage
      o         Treasure
•   Natural resources
      o      Dig minerals?
      o         plants?

What do you need to contribute?
First lets start with boring(but important) legal stuff. You will be required to sign the license. Which can be found here. Which from my understanding basically means all work submitted by you is your own and that you are donating it to PS and that it will not be used elsewhere, this enables PS to remain unique. I do advise reading license for yourself before signing though.
Second an understanding of Planeshift mechanics and its lore will assist you.
Thirdly time and will to commit to this project. How much is up to you but tasks will be expected to be completed in a reasonable timeframe.

What support will you receive?
Myself and Zunna who lead this project will be happy to answer any queries you may have .
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on IRC (http://webchat.freenode.net/ ) at #ps-shindrok.
We will step you through tasks so that it enables more to contribute.
We will have IRC based meetings and the channel we allow you to also support each other.

What to do if interested?
PM me. Tell me what you would like to do most of work will be in creating the quests.

Any questions please feel to ask.
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: [COMMUNITY] Shindroks Crater Project
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »
This looks really cool. It will be good for the people who sign the license. :thumbup:

Jiggs

• Traveller
  • Sage in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:37:06 pm »
I like the idea, and would like to contribute something, though wether or not my suspicions are right I have no proof so it's entirely up to debate. I believe that Shindrok the Mad returned a long time ago in secret, due to a refferent to him found in death realm. What I think is that the Dark Wanderer may in fact be Shindrok the Mad in disguise, but again, I have nothing to prove this and it's mostly because I liked the character from lore, and the refference to shindrok having found a blood ritual with the dark crystal that tied his life to it shortly before Dakkru showed up I believe.
If Roses are red... and violets are blue, why oh why can't I be purple?

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »
If Shindrok is alive, that means there must be some very explicit loophole that allows one to combine multiple ways (or access the 7th way) for his body not to be space dust. Without spoiling much, does his existence mean that players have some exciting new powers to look forward to in the future?

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »
It might just mean that he got some poor sap to trigger the final step of the spell and watched from a safe distance, the Camp Banished bar, for instance.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »
If Shindrok is alive, that means there must be some very explicit loophole that allows one to combine multiple ways (or access the 7th way) for his body not to be space dust. Without spoiling much, does his existence mean that players have some exciting new powers to look forward to in the future?

See "Shindrok's Fate" ;)

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:49 am »
This looks really cool. It will be good for the people who sign the license. :thumbup:

Anyone who wish to contribute in any ways to Planeshift MUST sign the License, be it a full participation as Prospect or to propose a self-made cooking receipe. It is part of the rules of this Open Source Game and all in all, simple and quick to do.

Concerning Shindrock, the introduction precise that "Some believe" that Shindrok has returned. :P
We could dig deeper onto that part tho toward what you players will come out with !

Let's go and build the epic-est quest-line Planeshift ever saw  \\o//

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:30:21 am »
Anyone who wish to contribute in any ways to Planeshift MUST sign the License, be it a full participation as Prospect or to propose a self-made cooking receipe. It is part of the rules of this Open Source Game and all in all, simple and quick to do.

Now, now, let's not be too expansive. You don't need to sign the license to contribute bug reports. I've never signed a license and I have contributed many bug reports. It is true that material contributions of an artistic nature, be they audio, visual or literary are covered by the ABC license and must be signed over to the project. Code, too, is covered under a different open source license, I believe, or have things changed?

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:15 pm »
Now, now, let's not be too expansive. You don't need to sign the license to contribute bug reports. I've never signed a license and I have contributed many bug reports. It is true that material contributions of an artistic nature, be they audio, visual or literary are covered by the ABC license and must be signed over to the project. Code, too, is covered under a different open source license, I believe, or have things changed?

True you don't need a license to submit a bug report or for code.  But for this project it all falls under the ABC license though :).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:12:28 pm by Tuathanach »

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 01:34:01 pm »
 ;D Nothing escape to Bilbous! I should have precised thought, indeed ^^
And actually, Hurrah for all those whom reported bugs regularly and with a sharp eye.

bilbous

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
Please do not take offense. None was intended. Trying to write in a foreign language is not easy and is prone to error. I work with a bunch of Frenchmen from Quebec and rarely try to speak in their language. I like to think it is for expeditious communication but it is equal parts laziness and lack of interest in learning.

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:15:41 am »
Absolutly no offense have been taken Bilbous ^^

To get on the topic, we could eventually start by the description of the characters (rogues and their kin) ? Should help to brainstorm on their behavior / dialog afterward ? What do you guys think ?

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 07:36:32 am »
Levrus could tell the story and hint at a rumor that Shindrok is hiding in the Death Realm. Maybe Kisatol knows more?

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 04:13:28 pm »
A quick update on the project.

We have our first batch of volunteers (5/6), who will be receiving their first tasks on Monday. Each will be given a NPC who they have to create a description for based on position and role of NPC. They will then be asked to create a story/outline for a quest based on that NPC.

For those interested we are still accepting new applicants.

For those who have not yet done so you will be required to sign the licensebefore your content will be loaded for testing . Which can be found here. We are contactable ingame, by PM or on IRC (http://webchat.freenode.net/ ) at #ps-shindrok.
We will step you through tasks so that it enables more to contribute.

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 01:46:01 pm »
Shindrok Crater Project Update :
The project is still going on and advancing nicely thanks to the volunteers !
Already 3 chars brought to life and 3 quests to go with ! Nothing less  \\o//

If you like to create characters and/or are tempted to write quests then we are still accepting new applicants !
Send a PM to Tuathanach or myself and we will fill you in with the details.

We are contactable ingame, by PM or on IRC (http://webchat.freenode.net/ ) at #ps-shindrok.