Author Topic: Update - Book images!!?  (Read 426 times)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Update - Book images!!?
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:24:04 pm »
Hey everyone.

I was going to wait until after the update to post this, but as its been so long and we are still stuck without a new Mac client I decided to post now.

With a recent code change we now have the ability to to display images in books, and, have the books turn pages. Before this the last bit wouldn't work. I'll be posting a "how to" explanation on how this works after the update once the client works correctly with book images so anybody can put any image included with the client in any book they make. Things like weapon icons or ore icons in merchant books for example.

So, if there are any people who have an interest in drawing some concept art similar to that shown above I would love to hear from you.

There are lots of creature books which could do with images, consumers, trepors, and ulbernauts have been done.

These books are ones which jump to mind which could have nice illustrations:

Clacker ecology.
Monsters: Gobble.
This sounds Familiar.

The idea is that the drawing is not just a screen capture. But is a hand drawn picture of the artists impression of what the creature looks likes not necessarily a strict copy of what they look like in game, like the ublernaut. The drawings do not have to be of creatures but could be of anything from any book, or something which would look nice in a book you have an idea for.

A couple of things to think about.

Any drawing would need to look good when put in a book in game. The one above works as the whole image is slightly purple so it seems a light shading has been done over the whole area. If you hand draw something once its scanned and cropped and added to a book it should ideally work "as is" if it doesn't look good in a book it will be hard to use it. The process of making it suitable for a book I can do, or help you with. But its just a process of making everything but the creature transparent and in a *.png file which is easily done in GIMP or Photoshop. If the image is drawn using a program then you can just keep the background transparent.

Of course, the images submitted would need to be checked by Talad before release, and the artist would need to agree to the contributors agreement. But any images which are done before the upcoming update is released would very likely be in the upcoming update.

Hopefully some of you might be interested. I look forward to hearing from you.

Venalan.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Update - Book images!!?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:32:06 pm »
That would be a nice change up. However, I'm sure artists would need to know size limitations and color limitations if any.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:22:42 am »
That would be a nice change up. However, I'm sure artists would need to know size limitations and color limitations if any.

Usually the size can be reduced and starting from a higher quality image and downgrading the quality is always better than the opposite.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:45 am »

It might be good do have someone in 2d art give some submission specs.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:50:22 am »
The pictures in the books display at about width=225 pixels with a varying height based on the image, the ulber earlier is height=200 pixels. The original art files are at most 500*500 pixels, 450*400 pixels for larger ones like the ublernaut and 450*250 pixels for the shorter ones like a consumer we have. So you could stick to max 500*500 pixel dimensions and the images will be suitable.

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:20:09 am »
Are we talking 256 colors/shades of grey, rgb, or what? What size palette is within bounds?

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:23:09 am »
Are we talking 256 colors/shades of grey, rgb, or what? What size palette is within bounds?

Fifty Shades of Grey.
:whistling:

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 12:32:33 pm »

Doesn't matter what colour(s) you use as long as the final image looks suitable for an illustration in a PS book. The ulbernaut looks like a hand drawn image which I think works well for the settings the book is designed for. High quality, photo quality print is out of the question for a PS book so not that.

ecirtaeB

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »
Sweet  :)