Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 1891 times)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
HELP!
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:05:35 pm »

So, I'm developing a show room/armoury/forge location like thingy up in the BD fortress, much like my banquette hall, which I hope will bring a little more life to the place. As part of it I've added 6 NPCs who you can think of as being like bosses, but bosses who were defeated. And after their defeat were stuffed and moved to the fortress.

And now, this is where everyone reading this comes in.

I would like help from the community to name these creatures, and create a back story for them describing what happened.

What I hope will happen now is that anyone interested will look over the 6 creatures, pick one or more that you like the look of and make something up. You can then post below, or PM/e-mail me, with the following
  • Number(s) of the creature
  • A suggested name (1-2-3 words with - or ' is possible)
  • A description (Not too long ~50-100 words max, to nicely describe the creature)
  • History / background (a few hundred words to start with, if you get picked we can expand it if there is room to later)

Keep in mind that initially a player will only get to name 1 of the 6 creatures, even if you enter all 6. This is to allow more people to get involved. When you submit your answers submit them in the order you would like to name the creatures. If you REALLY want to name the Gorweal then put 5 first, then your other choices in the order you'd like. However, if I don't get enough good suggestsions its entirely possible that one player could end up being picked for 1 or more creature.

The most important things to consider when creating something is ICness, creativity, and originality but they also have to be suitable. Try and read over some of the history and see if you can work in your chosen creature(s) into the current settings/history some how.

I would like to have these out in the next update (later this year) so there is a time limit on this;

ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE GOTTEN TO ME BY NOVEMBER 30th.

In December once all the submissions have been made we will work on deciding which was the best for each NPC and we will announce it here, and immediatly add the details into the game in the form of a book which will be added to the bookstands for everyone to be able to read.

Thanks.

If you have any questions just ask, and good luck!

Venalan.

How many suggestions have there been.

1 - 3
2 - 3
3 - 3
4 - 2
5 - 2
6 - 3

Example

So many of you would have seen some of the bosses we have in game at the moment. Examples of their current descriptions are below as examples.

• Marangma is unusually large for a weaver arangma. She has a large purple body displaying vivid yellow and red markings on the carapace, which look like a deformed glyph. Her four hairy legs are spread around her, folded as if she was ready to jump at any time at her prey. She stares at her victims with her multiple cold black eyes, her mouth jaws dripping of remaining web tows.
  • This tremendous maulberlord looks particularly tall and healthy. He seems a perfect representative of his species, displaying a large body, voluminous muscles showing up through his thick dirty white fur, massive clawed arms and a mouthful of razor-sharp teeth. If you take some time to observe him at a safe distance, you will notice that the tip of his left claw has been cut off. Furthermore, his legs are striped with scars, some dried blood taint the fur around his mouth and an arrow is obviously planted in his right shoulder. (This is One-Claw)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:44:38 am by Venalan »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »
i'm game... but i've been out the game for a while. What are the critters called?
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 06:38:08 pm »
i'm game... but i've been out the game for a while. What are the critters called?

;D I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't going to say anything...

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:54:50 pm »
I think he wants people to come up with names and back stories for them.
And now, this is where everyone reading this comes in.

I would like help from the community to name these creatures, and create a back story for them describing what happened.

If it helps:

#1 looks like it could be part of the Ulbernaut, Vilenaut, Maulbernaut, Malberlord family..
#2 looks like a cotami? ( There should be some between the magic shop and the stonehead tavern )
#3 not sure if there's a name for this family of critters or not.  ( looks like a nasty wasp to me )
#4 looks kind of like a tloke? ( there are some variants in the arena, the sewers, and between Shindrocks crater and Oja )
#5 looks like it's a variant of the Gorweal  ( There are some variants in the arena and possibly out by the dark wanderer if memory serves me correctly )

The variants of each type of creature usually have similar names, though some do vary...

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:47:06 pm »
These are definitely named beasties and he wants names and stories worthy of them being named beasts.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:46:06 pm »
Ooh... I'm gonna take a crack at one of these... sounds like fun... though I'm not tellin yall which one I'm fixin my mind on. Don't want Illysia stealing my ideas... <.<  I think she's a canuck or something. Got a toque in the closet Illy? One with a big ole maple leaf on it?  ;D

* Rigwyn covers his paper with his hands for privacy as a third arm and hand sprouts out of nowhere and begins to scribble.

Might be coming up there if Hillary gets elected. ( Though we all said that when Obama got elected.. )

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 01:56:31 am »
In addition to Rigwyn's attempt to classify:

#1: Yes, one of them. Maybe the leader of the pack which was responsible for the naming of the "Lake of Tears"?
#2: Coamti, yes. Usually pretty harmless. This must be an exceptional one, that someone was proud to kill it.
#3: A Gawert. Rated as semi-intelligent in a book in Jayose's library. Maybe a kind of ambassador? Or a first contact accident's victim?
#4: Tloke, yes. Warriors will protect their queen. What reason could there be to have other duties and become notorious?...
#5: Gorweals are in the "swamp" (or whatever that floor resembles) to the west of Eagle BD. The presence of the D.W. may have caused issues.
#6: You missed a Carkarass here. Some are living with the Derghir. One of the Derghir has a bad mood. And maybe a personal guard?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:51:11 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »
There are also poison carkarass in the sewers and fire ones in the DR and in the Lava Cave. This one looks like one of the last... An especially strong fire carkarass ?
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.

Sirial

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 04:40:28 pm »
There are also poison carkarass in the sewers and fire ones in the DR and in the Lava Cave. This one looks like one of the last... An especially strong fire carkarass ?

Is a fire carkarass yes, at least for what is given us to see.
Regarding the Tlokes i remember reading that they are somehow sacred to Xiosia so her followers would never hurt them deliberately.
The zone near the D.W. looks like covered in fallen leafs that started to decay. Doesnt' look much swamp-like, Gorweal disguise themselves to look as similar as possible to the nearby flora, a dark one? maybe coming from a particular forest or a burned down part of a forest.
Nothing to say about the coamti as it doesn't look much particular.
I like LigH's idea of the misunderstanding with a Gawert ambassador during the first contact but doesn't look very likely as a first contact would have happened much before the creation of the Bronze doors and such, so i would go with a Gawert that has been sent away from his swarm and without the support of the rest of the colony went crazy and started attacking people until someone put it down.

Aniroho Aimirrel (Researcher in Knowledge Seekers)
Terelen Honoro (Captain of the Iron Claw)

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 06:34:45 pm »
#1: Looks like a Maulberlord, so it's definitely a 'naut. A really, really big one by the looks of it... though it might be the angle. And of course 'nauts are naturally large.
#2: That's obviously a Coamti, but it looks like a rather small one. Of course that might be the other creatures nearby making it look small.
#3: A Gawert. Books say they're semi-intelligent and friendly, and in fact greet passers-by. There's gotta be a good story behind why this one was killed.
#4: This is a Tloke Warrior, by the looks of it. They're poisonous. Probably this one caused some trouble before it was defeated. In addition, apparently Tloke are considered lucky animals. Some people even use them to trim lawns, and some try raising them to grow large in the hopes of being able to ride them, due to their naturally saddle-shaped shell.
#5: Apparently this is an Elder Gorweal. Clearly it was an evil mastermind. ;)
#6: The majestic Fire Carkarass. This also looks a bit bigger than the normal version.

Just figured I'd throw in what they look like to me. And it seems some random lore too.
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 01:40:54 am »
Regarding the gawert (and possibly even others): I don't expect all displayed creatures to have died in a battle against them. There may be other reasons of their death. One may also be a conserved respected member of their species.

The coamti ... clumsy curious youngster may have caused a chain of accidents which caused a lot of trouble, besides its own death? Maybe the "bug" in a huge clockwork, like Winch mechanics?

And regarding the carkarass: I am not so sure if this is really a fire type. Torches have a very yellow light and may tint close objects. It is displayed in an unfortunate angle or moment; slightly more spread wings would reveal it better. But if it is ... well, they usually only live in Dakkru's Realm. What could have happened to allow one to travel to Yliakum? And what mayhem would it have caused?

Please don't mind my torn thoughts. I hope they are an inspiration for deeper ones.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:55:53 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Sirial

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 03:14:55 am »
And regarding the carkarass: I am not so sure if this is really a fire type. Torches have a very yellow light and may tint close objects. It is displayed in an unfortunate angle or moment; slightly more spread wings would reveal it better. But if it is ... well, they usually only live in Dakkru's Realm. What could have happened to allow one to travel to Yliakum? And what mayhem would it have caused?

There is at least one in the Lava cave at the Eagle BD.

I agree on the fact not every one needs to have been killed in battle, but maybe they could have helped the guards or the passerby or even helped protecting the Dome from invasions.
Personally i'd like to learn that the coamti was just eating during one invasion and got scared by something and upon moving to flee got squashed by a huge beast from the Labyrinth that after stepping on it fell and died so the guards thought about stuffing it as it was a sort of hero.
Aniroho Aimirrel (Researcher in Knowledge Seekers)
Terelen Honoro (Captain of the Iron Claw)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 03:22:35 am »
Yes, some "accidental hero" would be another funny story.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 03:26:54 am »
So let me give you a little more info on these guys. Check this page out for a little more info http://planeshift.top-ix.org/pswiki/index.php?title=Creatures

1 is a maulberlord, a giant great big one around double the normal height.

2 is a tiny little mudobber coamti, about 1/2 the normal size.

3 is a gawert, there aren't that many in game, but this guy is a big one.

4 is a Tloke Warrior, a giant specimen considering the size they normally are.

5 is an Elder Gorweal, again a much larger version.

6 is in fact a Fire Carkarass, you might see a pattern, as this one is also pretty damn big.

There are some nice ideas being thrown about so far.

Someone commit and make the first official submission!

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 12:09:53 pm »
Bump :whistling: