Author Topic: Creating your Guild  (Read 6532 times)

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Creating your Guild
« on: February 03, 2005, 07:11:36 pm »
Important! To create your guild in the game, you need to have 200,000 tria and four other people readily available to join within 5 minutes of creation! If you do not have five members in your guild within five minutes, the guild will disband and you will not get a refund. So have people ready!

Guild: An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards.

Creating your guild should be a long but rewarding process, if done right. Guilds are not organizations of friends – that is the purpose of groups. Guilds are permanent, solid foundations built on similar crafts, goals, or ideals. ALL guild recruitment and promotion threads made in this forum section must maintain a certain degree of quality, so read on to learn how you can make your guild an eye-catching association.

Grammar and Spelling

As the only things we see here on the forums are a person's posts, that is where we derive our first impressions. With that in mind grammar and spelling are very important tools to getting and keeping members. Though it may see like a trivial matter, spelling a word right or remembering to capitalize a letter can make the difference between gaining or losing a member.  Posts that use all caps will be ignored by many and deleted by moderators.

Defining Your Guild

A successful guild takes a fair amount of planning.  It is best to take time to clearly define what your guild is about and why they exist before physically creating it.  As this is a roleplaying game, the longest lasting and biggest guilds have a reason for being who they are.  Some exist to wreak havoc, some exist to spread peace, some unite around a certain god, etc.

Along with the guilds goals, many guilds like to have a history written up. A short (or long) story outlining how the guild came to start. This doesn't mean a story about how you were sitting at your computer one day and said to yourself, "Hey!  This game roxs, I'm gonna create a 1337 guild!" The story should be written as it pertains to your character.

Ranking

Simply throwing everyone into a guild and saying, "Ok we're <guildname>" isn't going to work. Within your guild there should be numerous ranks, titles, and jobs that allow members to advance in their position. This helps you, as the guildleader, in sharing out responsibility.  This also allows you to be creative.

An example of some of the Calen Vakhar's Ranks:
Cora (Leader)
Kano (General)
Val'istar (ArchMage)
Nikerym (Captain)

Alignment

For those of you that have not been here very long, alignmments have been argued over countless times. The lines between what is Chaotic evil and what is evil and so forth have been argued over and no one has won.

This is your guild and you decide what the alignment is. If you fear someone might interpret the alignment differently then explain your definition for it. But keep in mind that you do not need to state an alignment. Think of it in a roleplaying sense: No one walks down the street saying "I'm Chaotic Neutral." Let your actions speak for the alignment.

Rules

It's always good to have a set of rules by which the guild needs to adhere.  Rules from how they should act, what they should say, etc.  Remember that as a guildmember what they do and say will reflect not only themselves but the entire guild.

The Name

Guild names should be unique and well thought out.  That short few words is what a potential recruit will first see and if they do not like the name they may overlook the guild completely.

Warriors of, Army of, or Knights of, type names are not the most creative and have been done over and over. Those take little thought to come up with. Some guild names you will notice have their names in other languages:  The Calen Vakhar (Elvish-The Green Guardians), Incensio Tenebrae (Latin-Burning Darkness)

Others have names such as: The Cabal, Arcane Order, The Mercenary Guild, The Blitzers.

The point is be original.

Finally - A Place to Put It

All guilds, large and small should have some sort of place out of game to communicate.  Whether it be forums, a site, or simply through messengers.  Preferably all of those.  All the items discussed here should be plainly set out not only in a thread here but somewhere on your site or in your forums.

For those of you who have no experience with creating sites or forums simply ask those here at PS.  There are more than enough with experience here and many will be more than willing to help out.

With all this in mind, remember to have fun.  If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to a moderator.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:27:58 am by Karyuu »

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 07:29:20 pm »
Good (correct) post.  I can agree more, but only with myself.

Originally posted by AendarCallenlasse
Though it may see like a trivial matter spelling a word right or remembering to capitalize a letter can make the difference between gaining or losing a member.

Allignment

*coughs*

8)

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 07:33:08 pm »
Heh.... didn\'t catch that.  Thanks.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

TheRedMonk

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 07:37:58 pm »
What about the roleplaying aspect? Shouldn\'t there be a point that shows the importance of RP, or at least be something about RP embedded in some already existing points? Just a thought...
Personally, I think guilds like \"Russian\'s guild\" and stuff like that shouldn\'t be allowed since just by seing the name, the whole RP feeling is killed... :(

Feel free to delete this post...I wasn\'t sure if you wanted this thread to be clean or not ;)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 03:50:16 pm »
Great work Aendar. The world gets brighter to my eyes everytime I look at good quality threads such as this. :P
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 10:12:29 am »
Hmm I think those rules Planeshift Guilds should also be mentioned (as they are quite the basics)
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
Re: Creating your Guild
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 09:47:14 am »
Or simply look here: http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=25390.0  for a quick reference on how not to start a guild.

Phinehas

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:35:10 pm »

Norm911

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 05:47:17 pm »
Thanks alot :D  ;D

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:41:59 am »
Also, you can check the Guide Lines I've made. I believe it adds information to this one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:43:58 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Jurrel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 12:39:59 pm »
   Ok I understand ali of this.Very helpful by the way.  I have seen all information on what you need to start a guild. I understand how things should be done. I now have players, tria and understand that I need to post guild on the forum. What do I do to actually start the guild in game.Are there commands , is there a DEV or administrator that helps you start. Im stuck please help!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 12:44:24 pm »
Click on the Guild button on your top menu, and you will be presented with a window and further instructions :]
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 12:46:45 pm »
Hehe. I should add that to my guide... I don't remember if it comes in the quick guide though. If it does, than you haven't read everything necessary ;).
Still think the alignment topic on this current guide might lead to improper use (using D&D's alignment system, while not in D&D) of the concept in Planeshift.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:49:16 pm by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!

Jurrel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 02:54:53 pm »
   thank you for responding so quick. Im currently in a guild now were the Guild Master has not been on in a month. The first thing I will do is leave current guild then the guild menu should be able to help. Sorry my question sounded so goofy. And thank you for the help.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:15:38 am by Jurrel »

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 04:48:09 pm »
First of all, I want to thank all the 'guides' makers, It was really help full  :thumbup:  Thanks to you I've got a LOT less questions, except one:

This may sound a bit foolish, but ehhm Is a website/forum REALLY REQUIRED? I mean both in the beginng fase and the 'normal' stage (forget that last if you don't get it)
I mean, I want a more IC guild, and not have to check a forum to see what happend.
I know a website/forum can come in handy in some ways but as said in Phinehas's guide, what if the site manger of the guild leaves or for whatever reason long away is? Because I understand (almost) nothing from websites and making/maintaining them.
I already designed (almost perfect) little system to get news spread through the guild Only working in PS:

- Every member (I should sate very carefully selected) can edit the MOTD so very important things can be said immediately  (If someone messes it up too much we can  decide to remove him.her from guild or take away him/her editing powers)
- Second: You can ask every member what is going on, and we demand to be answered in a good way (not something like just : "good" "bad" "pretty bleeped up" etc. again misbehavior will be punished (I believe you can even turn the guild chat possibility off)
- Third: The way i want to see my new guild is like I said more IC and RP, so I can be informed through Guild chat, but my Char (and I hope the others :P ) still needs to find it out... So we don't really need a website/forum.

But the PS rulles state "* The Guild must have a web page that states scope, beliefs, members, etc..."
I was hoping it would be enough to have this stated in the Guild section of this forum
 :sweatdrop: Please tell me that would be enough and we don't need a website, So we just can enjoy or guild without having a site which makes things (in my opinion and for this situation)  complicated.

*with we I mean I and the (hopefully) members of my yet to come guild, but if we DO need a website, it will take much longer...
 :flowers: PĂ©ace out!
^^