Author Topic: PVP is imperative  (Read 2095 times)

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2003, 11:59:23 am »
Originally posted by Fanomatic2000
I agree with Paxx, PvP will only cause grief, both for the devs, and for the players.

Have you ever played any major MMORPG\'s like AO or AC2??? if you couldnt PvP in those games they would become extremely booring once you reached the higher levels... I am not saying that Planeshift can\'t find an alternative, but it would be foolish to leave it out! It is just too much fun!

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2003, 03:02:43 pm »
AO and AC2 are built on PvP and the issue here is not PvP, PvP will exist much as it does in many games.
It is Pking on the in it?s open field I can kill anyone thing that will not.

It?s like saying DoAC would be better if there was PKing within realms. Yes I know there are 2 PvP servers in dark age, but like the ones on EQ they are not anywhere near full capacity. And remember we plan on having only one server?if there is more then one, it may be joined to the main in some odd fashion?then again it may not.
-Paxx

Nadius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2003, 04:13:17 pm »
ok its pretty ovious that the pk people have lost the argument

thats ok we tried and the devs are the people we pked in other games :( has to be lol anyway pking is fun but as long as we do take advantage of the small pvp aspect we do have all will be good

Darkanan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2003, 10:50:06 am »
A compromise should really be reached. If you read the last poll the majority of people are in favor of PKing. There just needs to be a system for it to work. I have outlined one and after Paxx\'s replies have just outlined a second system.

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 12:31:47 pm »
lol the poll is one sided because those who don\'t want PK don\'t read this board.  Trust me, a very large majority of the PS population is against PKing.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 03:09:33 pm »
Actually, depending on the poll?it might also be more then a year old.

Most of the PK and PvP threads are now here for me to look after. Mainly cause I am sick of looking at them as legitimate parts of the wish list, they are not, the PvP and Pk and such is in concept agreed upon already.

As far as PKing?I played the Race war servers on EQ and also played PK servers?there is where the fun is in my opinion. And this was old school when you lost your gear and/or your money I stopped when it was not even your money. But this is not what this game is about?if you really want it, seriously find another game. Because this will not be your home.

Now, you may want to look at shadowbane. But this is also a maturing industry, so there may be others that interest you more.

Now I will say this, if after a year or so, it is clear that people want more PK content?we will probably add more PK content, the same with PvP, the same with social intrigue, or with guild based quests and the such. At that point we will probably focus much more on the player base as far as content building. Currently we only have the people willing to put up with a crappy FPS to hunt for crystals and a crappy chat system.

And I thank you all very much by the way.

But in reality it is not even remotely the game it was meant to be yet.
-Paxx

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 07:26:04 pm »
lol paxx i played on the race war server on eq to, remember how any level can pk any level?? that was so annoying, people were so racist, one guy didnt let my halfling leave the elf city for like 4 hours, he just killed me as i spawned.

Edited for language.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:49:31 pm by Karyuu »

Nadius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 09:30:57 pm »
LOL i played on a race war server Tallon zek ..  it was a loose money one was very fun.. i was an upstanding member of Pandemonium not that that means anything :(  i sold my char  a month before re planes of power... anyways ive been looking for a good game and i like to pk alittle i really liked the level /race based pk they had which meant you always fighting people that dint offer a challange...  like my lvl 26 n00b pker with fungi tunic cof...2 lammys etc.etc.etc.....    well again back on track if we could incroprate spme kind of compromise like a deserted pk town with some level restrictions or something al of our ideas have been shot down all we ask is for some small morsal of dastardly vilonce

oh by the way the reason i sold my char .got sad, needed money and the gms where thinking about disbanding us....... a little too powerfull :)

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2003, 02:17:17 am »
I\'m not aginst PvP or PK.
If everybody accepted the rules, roleplayed, didn\'t kill each other without reason, didn\'t grief, tried to help the newbies etc. I would gladly accept PvP, PK. \"sarcasm\" ;)

A perfect system can never work without perfect people.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 02:20:55 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2003, 07:50:28 am »
one not mentioned way to decide if someone wants to PvPor not, is to make an item, which prevents/allows attacking. (i refer to the allowing from here on) if you wear that item you can attack and get attacked. you can only receive spells from chars with that item. (no unkillable healers for the PvP guys) it also has to need some time to put on/off:

RuneWarrior

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2003, 01:52:59 am »
i belive pking to be a thing that should be in the game

Dathias

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2003, 06:36:23 pm »
Paxx i know you have done tons of work with polls and such on pvp and well one thing that i haven\'t seen is hard thought out answers about pvp from just ordinary gamers. I have seen tons of good reasons come from programmers and moderators. So if there are some gamers out there that would like to send some thought out pros/cons to pvp. Personally i am pro-pk it keeps the game fun and intresting while also gives a way of life for some players(looting). Paxx or anyother big gamers if u ever played Asheron\'s Call (the original) belive it had a great pvp system. Maybe they should think about take ideas from that game. It had a great setup alltogether Asheron\'s Call will never die out of my heart.

Paxx i love to read your forums there great so keep it up.

Email me info or other stuff if you\'d like- Drunkinsmurf88@yahoo.com
I\'ve counted every block in my cell over one hundred times...  But have u named them yet- Count Monte Cristo

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2003, 04:41:42 am »
I would like to see a PvP system in PS, but it is a pipe dream.  PS devs are not looking to make another UO.

It is strange that that some of the pro PvP crowd mention UO, AC and the PvP servers on EQ.  For the most part they are all failures.  Sure the hardcore Pkers can look back to the glory days when you twinked your char on Ebay and caused so much grief on the server that the Develpers kicked thretened to kick them off.  It was fun for the pkers but they drove 10s of thousands of players to EQ\'s blue servers, and they are enjoying themselves with game that pkers call \"borring\".

I can not blame PS dev for not wanting to make a game where pkers are the only ones having fun.

Personally I baked enough bread playing EQ, and I am now enjoying PvP combat on Shadowbane.