Author Topic: Theiving other players = bad  (Read 2818 times)

Saphire

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Theiving other players = bad
« on: August 07, 2003, 02:32:40 pm »
Anyone play Sims Online? Anyone see Sims Online and CNN\'s story on griefers?

Basically in Sims Online, you can go to other player\'s houses, take along your sledge hammer, *bang bang* knock down the door and steal the other player\'s bling bling.

If Player-Player theiving is put in you can and will get some people who do nothing but go around, steal other player\'s things, and then sell those things to NPCs/Other players/drop them into a well or something along those lines just to cause grief among other players.

Also, if players can build houses later on, i could see other players doing the same things like those on Sims Online, where someone goes to YOUR charcters house, takes along their lock pick kit or whatever, *creeek* door\'s open and your \"+8 Battle Axe of Mage Slaying with Freezing Enchantment\" [that was sitting on the table \"safely\" in your home] ( :P ) is gone; that weapon of which you spent two weeks playing a long quest to get.

Those were just examples, but i think you get the picture. ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 02:33:47 pm by Saphire »
Precious and beutiful, it is happy. The only time when it is not is when it is in a shape of a tear.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 03:20:17 pm »
I agree.  As I said in this post...
Originally posted by Abemore
I think it should be very dangerous for a thief to pickpocket a player character.  I\'m talking high risk, low reward.  

Only a small percentage of a players money can be stolen (no items, unless very insignificant--like apples).  A player character will almost certainly grab the arm of a thief and demand his money is returned to him.  Humiliating the thief, and possibly beating her to within an inch of her life (but not killing).  A badly beaten thief is then in no condition to steal from anyone until she is healed.

On the other hand, stealing from NPC\'s has a much more attractive risk/reward ratio.  And this is where most thieves will spend their time.

The only safe time to pick a PC\'s pocket is when he or she is away from keyboard (not paying attention).  I imagine it like this:  when a PC\'s pocket is being picked, an icon will appear on their screen to alert them.  Clicking the icon before it disappears will allow them to catch the arm of the thief.  The more skilled the thief, the less time the icon appears on the victims screen.  And a stealthed thief may create a less obvious semi-transparent icon.

This, of course, should be developed and tweaked further...

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 03:32:12 pm »
hehe... that is my favorite part of sims online - you know people can get security systems it\'s just that most players are too damned unrealistic/lazy - they forget that the game isn\'t completely social

Saphire

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 05:50:58 pm »
8o
Reading that makes me wonder why more people dont read the manual.
Precious and beutiful, it is happy. The only time when it is not is when it is in a shape of a tear.

Bashka

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 12:55:59 am »
Stealing would be awesome and building houses 2 it should be u have a house to your key... If you dont want to be stolen from then dont keep your key on you...

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 01:59:37 am »
Everyone has there own ideas of pk and thieving but plz give it a rest im sure by now the staff has made up there mind about stealing but that is a good example why thieving would be bad saphire.

dorbian

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Yeah no not for me that is...
    • View Profile
    • Mindless Insanity
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 06:36:14 am »
Well i played D&D for a while ( still playing but due to vacation nobody of the game is nearby ) and one of my mates is a thief and one of my other mates got a special 2D12 + 4fire db sword after a quest of 3 months playing ( every evening ) and the dude stole it and you can really get big fights and people not playing the game anymore if this can be done in such a rate ( i know i would stop playing if they keep on picking on me )  X(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 06:37:15 am by dorbian »

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 12:16:11 pm »
Thieving is a must, so the game is as realistic a possible. It would be cool if a thief could choose what item to take. The bigger it is, the more chance of him/her being caught.

Monkey_Catcher

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2003, 06:19:42 am »
i reckon thieving be awesome

Martel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Something like
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 02:05:21 pm »
Something like Silk the Theif in The Belgariad by David Eddings?

Maybe a housing system where you can buy different types of bigger and better locks from a blacksmith with a high dexterity. The blacksmith could get the componemt metals, smith them, and then install them on his house, or the houses of others for a small fee.

Then the thief could come along with his set of lockpicks (which he may have made himself, or he may have had made for him by a blacksmith) and tries to open the door into the house.

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 03:39:24 pm »
I think equipped items should be impossible to steal, and everyone should be able to have a safe in their house which is impossible to open, no matter how high your thieving skill is.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 03:49:38 pm »
yes, that sounds good, except that money on the person should still be able to be pickpocketed.

varsity

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 08:25:56 pm »
I think you should be able to pick what you want to steal from the person.  The higher value of the item the more chance of being caught.  And if the person who is being stole from has maybe more than like whatever experience then they can catch them...  Or maybe an awareness skill can be added.

If the person who has been stolen from has a certain amount more of experience than the person they can catch them and are given options like these:

Let go with a warning

Attack (take 50% life from thief)

Drag towards nearest guards

If they choose to attack the thief, the thief can retaliate but have 50% life away.  If they choose drag to nearest guard, depending on the skill points (Agility, etc.)  They can escape and get away.

Dunno if other people have posted this same stuff...

Edit-  Also on the thieving of houses, Either there is a warning that when you buy it, it says do not leave IMPORTANT items lying about.  Either be able to put them in an impentrable safe, or in a bank.  Or  the person who stole the items cannot sell them for a certain amount of time.  So like if the player who has been stolen from has been on for... 5-10 full hours, without finding the thief, and if a certain amount of time goes by- say 4 days without the other player getting on the thief can sell it  (read last paragraph to counter not being on when things are to be stolen).

Like if the person in the house has the ability to know who broke into their house.  Either go and try to get their item back...  Or for a price  they can either hire a Pc or an NPC to find the person and get the item back.  If the person logs off, a NPC can be hired and whenever that person logs on the NPC takes back the item.  If the player who stole doesnt get back on in a certain amount of time (say three days) the item is given back to the person who was stolen from.  

Also the skill of the NPC is taken into account...   The more skill the NPC the more amount of money it costs, but the higher chance of getting your item back.   If the thief is found he is put in jail for about 1-4 days (Depending on crime) and cannot get back into his account until his jail time is filled.

Another idea is the person has the ability to put in a alarm system which the thief cant detect, and is set off if he attempts to break into the house.  A personal guard to watch your house  (if you have important items, or going on vacation/won\'t be able to get on in a while)

*blah i dunno*
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 08:47:43 pm by varsity »

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 02:19:51 pm »
But it\'s a bit unrealistic to be able to steal their boots don\'t you think? Equipped items shouldn\'t be stealable (even swords, that would be really annoying because they\'re expensive), as well as quest items. Money, yes, but maybe a random amount, the upper limit of which gets higher depending on your skill.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2003, 02:48:52 pm »
Just thought of an idea how theiving players can work.

Basically there shouldn\'t be any factor of stealth.  When a player tries to steal something from another player, the victim is alarmed at all times.  Only the more experienced theif would take less time to acess victims money and items.  For unexperienced theif it should take up to 30 seconds to access victims personal stuff.  Although theif can\'t take items that a victim is wearing, such as sword, armor, any clothing), theif can reach the pockets where smaller items are and where money is.
But during those 30 seconds a theif is locked and can\'t move, unless a theif presses abort on the process.  Meanwhile a victim gets an alarm message (\"you are being robbed\") or the theif next to you starts glowing, or whatever... The point is once the victim realises the theif is trying to rob him, the victim is allowed to attack, while the theif can\'t attack, even if he presses abort on the process.  So the only option for a theif is to run away or steal really fast and run away.  

1) advantage of this
If the theif is strong and experienced in theivery, it would take less time, say about 10 seconds.  During that time even if the victim starts to attack the theif, the theif will loose life, but will gain some profit.

2) disadvantage
If the theif is unexperienced, and gets killed in the process of stealing, the victim is allowed to loot the theif for his items.  But only for items that were in the pocket.

I find that this may work. What do youz think?