Author Topic: another view on PK'ing  (Read 674 times)

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
another view on PK'ing
« on: August 11, 2003, 05:38:45 pm »
I guess I\'ll have to say that if you think posting more about this subject, you can stop reading here :)

This is an article about the possible inclusion of PK\'ing.

Main question:
PK: include it or not?

why include it:
it is more real.
people just want to be able to kill some-one sometimes.

Why not include it:
Most important reason:
Becauses some people to make a job from pk\'ing by killing all newbs they find, by wich they are really spoiling the fun for them.

In general (based opon the opinion of some people I asked ingame) that is the only reason why not, while most of the people I asked whouldn\'t mind pk\'ing as long as there is a way to prevent that 1 problem.

Possible solution:
People only make a living of pk\'ing if they can have lots of fun and / or earn wealth with it.
So this means that you shouldn\'t be able to steal items from some-one you killed.
This also means that you should not be rewarded tons of money or exp (at least not from killing weaker persons) so you could make it skill based, if you kill some-one with an exp total of 1.5 times higher then you, you will get some exp (not much, but just a little bit, like when you kill some standard monster) and something like 60 of his gold (asuming 60 is a pretty low number)
This whould leave people like builders and alchemists still weak targets, but if they have really more exp then you, then they pretty sure also have some friends ingame wich will give the pk\'er a pretty hard life.
Also this makes newbs a far less interesting target (because you get nothing from killing em).
As for the pk\'er him/her-self, he/she will be able to kill 1 or maybe 2 persons, but if he/she is really just only killing newbs or to many players, it will get noticed by the comunity and the pk\'er will find him/her-self target of hunting groups pretty soon.
A last rule, wich might add some more depth to the killing, a player who has been killed looses a 10th of the exp needed from the skill level on all skills (so if his level 20 sword skill needs 100 exp to be level 21, he will loose 10 exp (and eventually level down if killed to often), this whould also aply to die-ing from monsters) when a newb or a normal player gets killed by a monster or a pk\'er, this is not a really big loss, however, if a PK\'er gets noticed by the comunity and becomes hunted, such a player could be killed half a dozen of times a day, making it absolutely no fun to just PK for the sake of it.

Answer to main question:
Yes, in my oppinion PK\'ing should be allowed by solutions such as the above

If you read this, and have a clearly different opinion, and / or something to add to this, please tell me.

Ravna

Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

Saphire

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 09:42:08 pm »
someone who gets killed shouldn\'t lose experiance... just the time needed to recover from the death is a good enough \"punishment\" ntm it could be too good of a griefer tactic. kill the player 10 times and he loses a level in all skills.  X( do you know how long it could take to level up at level 40+?  8o (if there are levels)

a clearly defined area where PKing is allowed should be put up if PKing is to be used and where the only punishment is death and little monetary setback. (read: Rune|Scapes\'s \"Wilderness\", leading many players to call RS \"Run|Escape\")
Precious and beutiful, it is happy. The only time when it is not is when it is in a shape of a tear.

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 07:32:15 pm »
well, I know but if a level 40 is killed 10 times in a row then he did really get some players pissed off (eighter guild war, or having some other figth, or being a PK\'er himself) in the first 2 cases the killing should not be allowed by his own guild or by the comunity in general.

coz well, if the same person just gets killed 10 times in a row, then he is a high person in a guild during war (in wich case he should get protection from his guild) or he pissed of some people (in wich case they should stop after 2 times or so, or the comunity should act on the needless PK\'ing) or he is a PK\'er himself (in wich case he gets what he desirves basically)

anyway, that was why I included it in my proposal, coz actually only PK\'ers will get killed that many times I think, or the comunity allows it, in wich case it is what the general public wants....

just my opinion :)

zaphar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 10:32:37 am »
Ravna you actually miss an important point. The reason Griefers PK Newbies is not to make money or gain wealth. They do it because they enjoy torturing newbies. They like to spoil someone else\'s fun. In short they are bullies in the online world. There is really no way prevent this kind of PK\'ing in an open pk system. You either expect to endure it or you don\'t play.

The dev\'s don\'t want to deal with that kind of PK\'ing so they are not using open PK. End of story.

The horse that just won\'t die is dead.  Unfortunately people are trying to reanimate it.
*Zaphar grins roguishly as he exits the post

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 09:16:19 am »
hmm.. I see, that is a point to...

and I can guess no-one is planning on banning all those users since that whould be a job with no ending.

however, what if you set a line.. let\'s say 60000 exp, and every-one above that whould be allowed to kill and be killed by players above that exp level whould that actually help? or whould that just shift the \"n00b killing\" to new players at this level killing?

and yes I like to revive death things indeed :)

NikonX

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 01:00:50 am »
In case u include PKing in PS u could put NPCs as guards scattered in the cities to kill those who have killed another person for no reason at all. Also u could use something like a wanted lvl or something like that that shall increase every time you PK someone outside a fair duel or a Guild war or whatever. Anyway it\'s just a suggestion, that might give the PKers something to think about before they do anything stupid like pick on a newbie or attaking other players.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 08:03:00 am by NikonX »
Little angel, go away...
Come again some other day...
Devil has my ear today...
I\'ll never hear a word you say...
He Promised I would find a little solace and some peace of mind...
Whatever. just as long as I don\'t feel so desperate and ravenous.

NikonX

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 08:04:11 am »
Originally posted by zaphar
The dev\'s don\'t want to deal with that kind of PK\'ing so they are not using open PK. End of story.

The horse that just won\'t die is dead.  Unfortunately people are trying to reanimate it.

Are u one of the Devs??????
Little angel, go away...
Come again some other day...
Devil has my ear today...
I\'ll never hear a word you say...
He Promised I would find a little solace and some peace of mind...
Whatever. just as long as I don\'t feel so desperate and ravenous.