Author Topic: Why have we got this problem?  (Read 1562 times)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Why have we got this problem?
« on: August 24, 2003, 06:14:44 am »
Without pk\'ing u may as well get rid of the whole combat system. I dunno about everyone else, but killing the same monster 10000 times is boring. You complain about people killing noobs, and people with peacefull  jobs, but we\'ve already found a simple solution for that. just send them to jail and take money away from them. Have a grief system, if you kill lots of people then your reputation drops and NPC\'s start raising prices of goods and eventually stop selling to you. I dont know why people are still complaining when there are so many solutions to this.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 11:55:50 am »
there are no solutions.

It\'s like having a disease.  For some disease there are treatments and for others there are cures.  PK\'ing is an incurable disease.  Sure we have a lot of treatments, but as anyone with cancer or AIDS knows, treatment is never as good as a cure.

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 05:39:20 pm »
I suppose your right there. As long as some people arn\'t happy with the system it will always be a problem. We just got to get the majority happy.

Aramys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 03:41:20 am »
i doupt the majority of the Planeshift population would be happy with Full PvP enabled at all times. Though in small amounts at intervals could make for a more interesting game.

Harwen

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 07:35:59 pm »
Just depends how many jerky, insensible people who would complain if they were being mobbed by a party of 30 Cabali themselves, there are. I mean comprimises are essential when dealing with a PvP system. Simplicity is the key, complexity like jail (sorry) is not needed.

Zones and boundries, simple. You can\'t blast someone\'s house apart. You can\'t steal from noobs inside the city. It isn\'t worthwhile to steal, it isn\'t worthwhile to kill people, no expericence. Declarations of battle, accept or reject. Running away at anytime, 100% which mean auto victory for other person.

One Paragraph, simple. I think the Devs would like to keep this system from being too complex since it could be a hassle to tweak, edit, add or subtract elements from it. Leaving the system general and not implementing useless things that are in preferance to \"those with a spine\" should satisfy those who want a fair, and just gaming experience as opposed to those who want to argue for a system just to take advantage of it.

It\'s not like there is an Assassin class, or a Theif Class...So deal with the fact that no class is particularly favoured, and being a rouge or hitman isn\'t that cool to everyone.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 05:41:01 am »
IT\'S ROGUE DAMMIT!!!!!! NOT ROUGE!!!!

Evanchild

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 03:56:04 pm »
ok lets think

to hard for you i know but try

realistically you could kill anyone at any time, but then you get npc guards that beat the bejusus out of you for doing so.  that would work.
teenmethod
Freelancing.  Looking for a home.

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 04:14:16 pm »
Personally I don\'t really care about Pking in PS anymore... But I agree with everyone stating that it\'s fun, even though you loose... The rules and restrictions about it are just too much of a hell to discuss..

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 04:27:24 pm »
I bet it could work.  It would only add more fun.  If the devs made the PK problem priority number one for a month.  Think through all possible solutions and possibly combine them, so that make it, so PKing would be very unprofitable in terms of status, money, etc.  Make PKing a last resort, only if people are real enemies or for bandits, well, just like in real life, then it would be possible.

But the prob is, as far as I know, the devs don\'t even want to consider it, right?

Zephyrus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 05:18:36 pm »
Out of curiosity why can\'t you just have some servers with pking allowed and others where pking is not allowed?

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 08:55:13 pm »
hehe cus were all eq haters, some of us are playing this because we just quit eq... :D

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 07:42:58 pm »
I have an idea. (Probably not a good one)

Why don\'t we just have an option so you can turn PKing off and on. And, when you turn it on, It stays on for say the next 30 minutes. That way, n00bs and people who just want to play and get used to the game, are safe, but those who want to kill can. With the 30 minuters on thing, people couldn\'t just keep it off, find a person to kill, and turn it on, then kill the low lvl, then turn it off and not be attacked. They could\'t run from the battle and hurry up and turn it off either. Sure, there would be a few things to work out, but mix that with the reputation thing and I think it would work quite well.

Just my opinion, and if you don\'t like it, oh well. I live in America so I have freedom to opinion!

P.S.
I know somebody will have a problem with this though...
X2 3800+ (2.5GHz) | eVGA 7900GT (500/1500) | 2GB XMS (210MHz)
Audigy2 ZS | A8N SLI Premium | 250GB SATAII | TT Tsunami

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 08:34:55 pm »
Out of curiosity why can\'t you just have some servers with pking allowed and others where pking is not allowed?

You\'re willing to pay for the extra servers?  Let\'s not forget that this a free game and is being payed out of pocket by the devs.

As far as PK goes there is no perfection solution, there will always be loopholes and it will always be abused.  The reason why it is not a priority is because this a roleplaying game and therefore the main aspect of the game will be roleplaying.  Which means more emphasis on the economomic and political aspects of the game.  PKing would take away from that and turn it into a simple hack and slash game.  I\'m all for the jail idea.  You kill someone you spend a few days to a week in jail since it is a crime.  Besides if you really want to kill others that bad there are still going to be arenas and guild wars.[/COLOR]

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 10:19:22 am »
Originally posted by AendarCallenlasse

PKing would take away from that and turn it into a simple hack and slash game.

Wouldn\'t the existence of mobs turn the game into that, even before people start worrying about pking?

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2003, 02:58:22 pm »
Mezasa, great idea.  I think that people should have an option to turn on/off the PKing.  By default when you start the game the Pking is off.  That way nobody can attack you or you can\'t attack anyone, also you have somekind of mark that says that Pking is off for you.  But those who feel like Pking or feel like being pked :) can turn it on and attack anyone who also has it on.

This is better than EQ in my opinion who had an option to become pvp player only and you couldn\'t turn back once you were pvp.