Author Topic: Latest Crashes, out of bounds positional data  (Read 12476 times)

Alerele Ahewenel

• Traveller
  • Yeah, I'm me. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
    • My planeshift related subdomain.
Latest Crashes, out of bounds positional data
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:25 am »
Lately we had a number of reported crashes with wrong positional data. People trying to enter a new level and finding themselves on the air, or just with a box saying there's an error... Click OK and try again...

We are trying to understand more of the problem, so please make screenshots, even if the only thing you ever see is a box with mumbo-jumbo... Some people might make use of it! Check if a crash report is generated, provide it to us. Launch the psclient with --verbose --console and then look at the console to see if there is any visible error, copy paste it all and post it.

Most importantly please provide:
- your platform (windows, mac, linux)
- your video card (And drivers if you know like your version of Ati Catalyst or nVidia drivers)
- your position when it happened (can be hard at times, but you know)
- the last few actions you took in game (just walking? Trading? Talking to an NPC or player?)

Even the best developers can't figure out some of the bugs if you don't come forward with them or send in reports of it.

Take some time to look at the bugtracker, on http://hydlaaplaza.com/PlaneShift/flyspray/ and say your mind. Whatever crashes you, or you find faulty, look for a bug to fit it in, or make a new one with your special problem. And please do take the time to find a bug to put it in, we don't really like to see 100 bugreports on the same thing. So take up your responsibility and find bugs! And report them!

One message players got is: "Received out of bounds positional data, resetting your position." while being in the middle of Hydlaa Plaza. We are not sure if that's related to the other random crashes as well, but could be. Terrain is currently having issues, but will be fixed soon. Tell us if it's happening only on terrain or not.

Anything you have to report may be helpful to us, so please stop being just a player, and become a contributor, even if it just means reporting the 1000th instance of some sort of bug. Just put it in the right place, if you can. Your bugreport may lead to the path of fixing all the trouble we've experienced, of stop you from experiencing more bugs. Don't we all like an Yliakum that's sound? Help!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:14:58 pm by Venalan »
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: You never know if an Ulber is at his place or if he's killable. But it's there.

Rell

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Crashes, out of bounds positional data
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:29:13 am »
This is regarding the dungeon exit.  The screenshot below was taken standing within the doorway at the dungeon exit.  It shows that the doorway in the hydlaa_plaza map doesnt line up with the doorway at the top of the stairs of the dungeon exit.  After getting stuck several times trying, I was able to jump at an angle from the dungeon to the plaza without falling through the map like normal.  If you try to walk straight through the doorway you fall through the map and get the "Received out of bounds positional data, resetting your position."  Which teleports you back to the plaza and deals you some falling damage.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:32 am »
Rell that is http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=1796 that is not 100% related to what this is about as it is a known issue.

Bakin_Fundinson

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Improving life for Stonehammers Dome-wide :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:18:53 pm »
I get this error rather consistently when trying to enter the arena area from the Hydlaa tunnel.
When approaching the map load edge, I can see nothing of the area ahead of me, just graphic glitches which appear to be tunnel pieces repeated infinitely. :( when crossing the line, I get the "out of bounds" message.

My char is Bakin, a male Hammerwielder.
I'm on a G5 Mac with 1GB ram and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphix card.
Other places, I might get the "fail to load region", but that might be another error?
We, all of us, serve a higher purpose. Finding it out, however... :)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:42:18 pm »
Bakin that is the same bug as the one i linked in the post above yours.

Bakin_Fundinson

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:49:26 am »
Thank you , Caarrie, you are fast and sharp as always :)

After trying w/out success to enter the arena yesterday, I decided to go to the BDroad for some training, but never got that far.
When getting to the 2nd map load border in the Hydlaa forest, just before the Magic shop intersection, I got the "fail to load region", but in the critical version: client terminated w/out any message, not even "quit unexpectedly" afterwards  :o I of course tried restarting client to continue my journey, but when the client got to the "region loading" part, the same thing happened.

This is highly disconcerting, and makes the game sorta unplayable - after trying 4 times to start PS, with the same result, I let it be and tried doing some RL instead ;)
Let me recap the process as I see it from my humble abode:

• get to forest map load
  • client crashes w/out warning or messages
  • restart client
  • crash when trying to load region
  • repeat ad infinitam ad nauseam
this is the 2nd time this happens to me with my main char (Bakin) - my alt, the Kran Godnok has the same problem, but in Gugrontid.
I recently did a complete re-installation and update, which succeeded... So my client ought to be OK, even if it's difficult to be sure, of course  :'(
see system stats in my post above.

Since I'm not able to contact a GM ingame, who could I send a PM with a teleport request?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43:54 am »
you can /petition a gm to have your character moved

Bakin_Fundinson

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:22 am »
Thank you, Caarrie, but to be able to do that, I must be in-game.
And whenever I try to, my client crashes (see above)
So I can't even do a /tell or a /petition, since I never get that far...  X-/

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:59 am »
make a new char and /petition ;)

Kerol

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Assets > Asshats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:45 pm »
Or come on IRC server freenode, channel #planeshift-gmtalk.

retired GM leader

Bakin_Fundinson

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:42:48 am »
After some very welcome help by Kerol so I could actually get in-game (thx!  ;D )
- I have the following recap of my experience of the stability / usability of the various maps:
These maps cause my client to crash w/out warning or other error when entering or being teleported there:
  • BDroad1- crash w/out warning or message
  • 2nd forest map by the intersection coming from Hydlaa, I think it's called Hybr1- crash w/out warning
  • Gugrontid - crash w/out warning or message
  • East Hydlaa - Failure to load region [ok]
  • Ojaroad2 - crash w/out warning or message
  • Laanx Dungeon when trying to exit - out of bounds, resetting position
  • Arena, going from tunnel into main Arena area - out of bounds, resetting position

These maps I can confirm as being sound & usable (at least for me)
  • Hydlaa plaza
  • Sewers
  • Laanx Temple
  • First forest path towards BDroad (not 2nd)
  • Kada-El's Tavern
  • Laanx Dungeon except exit
  • Ojaveda city
  • Death Realm
the above is valid for my 2 chars, The Hammerwielder Bakin and the Kran Godnok
I'll continue to update this as I get wiser and/or maps get better   :D
Alerele, is it relevant to post this, and is this the place for it? Would it help to put this also on the bugtracker?
(since we're all beta-testers of an alpha-game ;) )

Edit: update map status
I seem to have 3 different errors occuring when going to map load edge: 1. crash w/out warning. 2. Failure to load region [ok] 3. out of bounds, resetting position.
List above edited to reflect my current experiences...
I also did the newest update, ran the updater several times incl. CheckIintegrity, and much was updated, but no improvement re this issue.
Edit2: added DR to "good" maps
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:42:38 pm by Bakin_Fundinson »

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 05:50:29 am »
that somewhat makes sense, the maps with issues are the newest maps that have been updated.

Unode

• Traveller
  • Jumping between one crystal and the other...*slip*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 05:16:48 pm »
Just to add that the problems I reported here and here are the same that Bakin is experiencing.

I have different machines (Gentoo 32bit, 1Gb RAM, ATI) and (Debian 64bit, 2Gb RAM, Nvidia) and only the 32 bit machine is affected by the problem. The 64 bit works fine.

Roxxorman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:35 pm »
crash i get is "something unexpected happened in planshife: steel Blue Details:  exception_access_violation at 038DE300

I have a dump file i can send you just let me know where.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 06:44:53 pm »