Author Topic: Crash just after entering world  (Read 658 times)

CadRipper

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • merry troublemaker
    • View Profile
Crash just after entering world
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:39:35 am »
Hello!

I have some troubles finding my way back to Hydlaa, hopefully a good soul can help me ;)

Running the last updated version (32-bit PlaneShift Azure Spirit (0.6.1)), on a Win7 x64 desktop PC, with the latest nVidia drivers (340.52) on a GTX 780. The character screen loads and runs correctly, but when I click on 'Join' and as soon as the world is rendered, the client crashes. When it does, the world and my character seem correctly rendered.

This is a new account, new character, and a fresh install of the client. Apparently my old character is "in reserved database", so ... :D It's been a while, so I have no point of reference with this hardware or a recent client regarding Planeshift (other games have run without trouble).

Here is a pastebin of the errorlog.txt, and a dump of the stdout/stderr - I ran it from MinGW to get it, but the same error occurs when it's launched from the menu.

The options are the default ones (no weather and so on). I tried a few things without any success:
- disabling the audio
- using OpenAL for the audio (saw an old post about it)
- using the software renderer, but that didn't go very far, perhaps I didn't do it correctly (System.Plugins.iGraphics3D = crystalspace.graphics3d.software in psclient.cfg)
- full screen / windowed mode

Any clues?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:55:16 am by CadRipper »

Kaerli_Stronwylle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Crash just after entering world
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:52:18 am »
Does it produce the Windows "This program has stopped working correctly" dialog?  Or does it just die with no trace of what went wrong?

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:56:55 am »
Be sure that sound is turned on and set to OpenGL.

Set all graphic settings to low. After you get in and loaded you can relog with higher settings. This has helped me.

If that doesn't do the trick try disabling GLSL.

As a last resort try the IRC chat and have a GM move you to another location.

CadRipper

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • merry troublemaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:54:20 am »
@Kaerli_Stronwylle: I have this dialog, yes, the window only closes once I quit the dialog window, so nothing brutal there thankfully, it's a pretty civilized annoyance.

@cdmoreland: I tried both OpenAL and without sound, also the graphics are pretty low when it's windowed mode. But indeed, I disabled all I could and iterated, and finally found out that anything but the "Lowest" settings for shaders were the cause of the bug. I can enable weather, grass, anti-aliasing and it's fine (shadows, bloom and HDR are not taken into account and immediately reset so I suppose they're not implemented yet). Sound is also fine with OpenAL.

Thanks for your help and suggestion :D

Now that the mystery is solved, I suppose I'll have a look at the bug tracker and add this if it's not already there. And take a walk in Hydlaa, of course.

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »
You could always try checking/unchecking the VBO box in the graphics section of the settings.
I believe you might be able to get your old account back by going on irc and verifying your old email with a dev/gm. there used to be some such thing, at any rate.

It is also possible it is still active and you need to log in to myplane in order to update the password hash on the server. If you try this use the old username/password. Since it has apparently been a long while it would likely have empty inventories and quests, but you never know.

CadRipper

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • merry troublemaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:27:47 pm »
Thanks for the tip! I should probably hang out on IRC and ask. I'm just scared, the damn thing is so addictive and I was so proud of my successful attempt at quitting ;) But I must be strong and take my chance, I can't forsake my good ol' faithful other self!

Tried the myplane gizmo, unfortunately I couldn't find my password back - I'm not even sure of which email / account it was linked to, back then. I must say I'm baffled it wasn't wiped out during all this time! (btw, you're probably the only one here I remember so far :D)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:29:25 pm by CadRipper »

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 04:37:45 pm »
Well good luck. I've been on and off with the game but haven't managed to leave the forum alone. There are, of course others that have been around longer. Some of them may even have different forum accounts and certainly new characters.