Author Topic: Cannot change settings in game + no update/repair available  (Read 1549 times)

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Cannot change settings in game + no update/repair available
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:13:47 am »
I post this in the "after" section, because I first saw this weird behaviour in the game itself.

I have recently installed PS on Win7 64 machine and noticed that whatever setting you change in the game (for example, try to add the chat tab or adjust sound levels), they do not save (new tab doesn`t appear and sound stays the same). Of course, later I found the reason - the game stores settings files (.cfg) in the exact folder as the game itself, which is, of course, not writable, whatever user/permission/group you add, they will be reverted automatically to read-only because of the settings of the parent folder which is Program Files and doesn`t have any settings to change. That is strange, because both on Windows and Linux (installed PS on an old laptop with Arch prior and it worked like a charm) settings are usually stored in a separate folder (like My Documents or /home/%username%/.PlaneShift), which can be modified.
The other thing is that I did not receive a message to install an update during first pslaunch launch. At first I thought that it`s just up-to-date, but when I tried to repair the game, the installer could not connect to update servers, read xml files and get root nodes.
Otherwise I can still enter the game and play. I downloaded the 64-bit version and installed it to Program Files, not Program Files (x86) for obvious reasons (it didn`t change anything, of course). Again, on Linux the update went fine.
I tried running both the client and launcher under admin, installed the game on other hdds/folders, but still no luck.

What kind of sorcery is this? Isn`t a Windows game supposed just to be installed and run?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:30:20 am by Mairon »
DONT TREAD ON ME

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot change settings in game + no update/repair available
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
Hey,

I'm not sure how you missed them, but the settings for PlaneShift are stored in the use file directory. As you are on windows 7 you should look in C:\Users\Mairon\AppData\Roaming\PlaneShift ( but change Mairon with the name you have on your computer).

Any options or config files in the installation directory are likely only necessary to make PS load in the first place, after which copies are made in the users folder which then superseed anything in the installation directory.

In terms of making changes to things like chat tabs, make sure you are clicking save in the options windows, that is the only thing I've ever found thatt stops changes from taking effect.

faeirywoman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:01:52 am »
hey there

im a player from back in 2009 but played for only two years - recenctle got a new laptop with windows 10 and decided to get back into planeshift.
i installed thismorning - logged in to be pleastly surprised i still had access to my old characters yay - but i noticed the game wasnt entirely in full screen mode - so i changed a setting - only in the visual - and now ive no sound!!!!!!
changed the settings back to default - still no sound!!!

I also noticed that i cant even kill a clacker with my well experienced character so im dead - and i cant get out of the underworld cos i cant swat a fly!!!
And i notiv^ced ther isnt a single other player anywhere in the world to be seen - hydlaa plaza is completely empty - at least it was before i croaked -

any suggestions welcome
thanks

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:04:37 am »
Hi faeirywoman

Maybe you wanted to post this elsewhere? The caps on character stats have indeed changed a lot since 2009... but don't worry too much about getting out of the death realm. I hope you remember the path to the portal, which you should be able to follow without getting attacked by any of the creatures there. Usually, "weaker" characters are not thrown into the DR, since you only spawn there after having played a certain number of hours.

faeirywoman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:11 am »
hi there

no i didnt want to post it elsewhere as i have a major sound problem which concerns the settings - im not bothered to play really - deathrealm or other till my sound is back on - what can i say im picky ;)
and actually no i dont remember the way - and theres nobody else playing to help - is that normal?

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:12:50 am »
Yes, it's a pity that the player numbers are so low these days. If you want to check before launching the client, you can look at the official stats page, http://planeshift.teamix.org/index.php?page=char_stats, or on similar pages, like http://greatshift.111mb.de/who. Usually, there are more players around in GMT evening hours.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:44:45 am »
If the sound is still boughtering you, you could install openal, that's the only thing that helped me to get sound on win7.