Author Topic: Diminishing Returns  (Read 485 times)

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Diminishing Returns
« on: February 15, 2005, 11:32:30 pm »
I\'ve been playing a mmog (not an rpg) called utopia for a number of years now, and i thought they have some good idea of PvP.  The structure of the game is totally different, as it\'s a text based strategy game, but their methods to prevent big players wiping smaller ones off the map is very effective. The setup of the game is you have a province, instead of a character, and you manage it and war other people etc.  The point is there\'s 35,000 provinces on one server, and anyone can attack anyone else unless they just started the game less than 4 days ago.  Your first thought is probablly OMFG huge griefing with the big players totally detroying the little ones and taking their resources.  However this dosnt happen, because of two simple ideas.  The first is diminishing returns.  This means 1) If you attack someone who is bigger / smaller than you, you get a lower percentage gain than someone else attacking them would get.  To put this in rpg terms, the bigger the difference in levels between the players, the less Tria the victor would take.  So say a level 20 person defeats another level 20, they get maybe 10% of their trias.  If a level 30 person defeats a level 20, they only get 5% or so.  And a level 35-40 gets aboslutly nothing.  
2)  It takes 12 hours for your army to recover from battle, and you can only have 4 armies out at a time.  The effect of this is, not only do you get a huge amount less for attacking smaller players, but you cant even do it over and over again to make up for it.
Utopia has been running for 8 years and counting, and had about 130,000 players at its peak.  So it\'s hardly a new or small game.  The fact remains their system works amazingly well for limiting strong players killing everyone, in a world where any player is free to attack anyone else as much as they want.

Obviously some tweaking would be needed to work this into PS- foremost the ideas of levels.  You would have to produce a value approximating a player\'s relative strength- maybe a sum of that player\'s levels in key areas such as combat skills, armour skills, and magic skills, plus some value added for the items that player posseses.  I know the devs dont want \'levels\' in the game, but this isnt a level system its just a number reflecting approximatly how much fighting potential that player has.  Also for it to work there would need to be something like you can only PvP without asking someone 2 or 3 times in a 12 hours period, to stop people making up for the diminishing returns by doing it to lots of people.

Esthurin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 05:37:29 pm »
There\'s enough free PK games where PKers get absolutely no gains whatsoever no matter what lvl they are. Does it stop them from PKing? It doesn\'t... They PK for fun, or because they are roleplaying.

I like the way PKing is regulated in conqueronline better: In that game, you cannot drop equipped items when PKed, only items from your inventory. But you have a kill counter that slowly decays. As soon as you have over a certain amount of kills in which you were the aggressor (and 4 kills in quick succession can get you there), you will drop equipped items if you are PKed yourself. Also, if you get even more kill points, the chance of dropping equipped items becomes much larger. That way, it becomes very unfavourable to kill too much because you will lose your valuable equipped items.

However, in planeshift I feel that free PvP should only occur in designated areas. One of these should be death realm... After all, that\'s where the evil characters will reside, and it would be nice to be able to be truly bad by killing whoever you want. Anyone killed there should immediately respawn at the entrance site of the realm.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 06:09:01 pm by Esthurin »

Cyberchu

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 03:28:36 pm »
Originally posted by Esthurin

However, in planeshift I feel that free PvP should only occur in designated areas. One of these should be death realm... After all, that\'s where the evil characters will reside, and it would be nice to be able to be truly bad by killing whoever you want. Anyone killed there should immediately respawn at the entrance site of the realm.

If I understand you correctly you mean that each time you get PKed in the death realm you go back to the begining?
Imagine if a band of evil players tried to stop people from leaving the realm by repeated Pking?
Under construction

It is through suggestions and critisisms that we improve our ideas

Remember to

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 06:40:38 pm »
Originally posted by Cyberchu
If I understand you correctly you mean that each time you get PKed in the death realm you go back to the begining?
Imagine if a band of evil players tried to stop people from leaving the realm by repeated Pking?

In that case, maybe their should be police or a pk daily limit

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms