Author Topic: "Bards"  (Read 608 times)

Typhorean

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
"Bards"
« on: August 24, 2004, 04:48:27 pm »
Okay.  This is the deal.

A madrigal is a travelling musician, among other things.

A bard is a spanish musician.

PLEASE, call them madrigals...for me!
I am made from the dust of the stars,
And the oceans flow in my veins.
Here I hide in the heart of the city,
Like a stranger coming out of the rain.

Vipon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 04:49:40 pm »
I like the idea... lol

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 05:17:54 pm »
Hahaha, you should use \'search\'...
This was discussed for quite a while in another thread.
I believe it was the jobs thread.

Oh, and you\'re wrong... blunt, I know but true.
Who cares what history dictates a bard is??
When people refer to \'Bards\' they are talking about the Class from D&D (Dungeons and Dragons), not a historical profession (As D&D classes form the basis of most RPG classes). A Bard being somewhat of a Rogue with musical talents, and some magic ability.

Thus, people are rightly referring to them as Bards, I may be mistaken, but I don\'t believe that D&D is your intellectual property, therefore who are you to say what they can call a class?

A \'Bard\' is a class in this context, not a profession.

EDIT: Since there are no \'classes\' madrigal could apply, but does not have to, as it won\'t necessarily be a profession. So no, I won\'t call them that, for your sake or anyone elses.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 05:19:10 pm by Adeli »

I like Red Jelly Beans!

Typhorean

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:04:48 pm »
Originally posted by Adeli
Hahaha, you should use \'search\'...
This was discussed for quite a while in another thread.
I believe it was the jobs thread.

Oh, and you\'re wrong... blunt, I know but true.
Who cares what history dictates a bard is??
When people refer to \'Bards\' they are talking about the Class from D&D (Dungeons and Dragons), not a historical profession (As D&D classes form the basis of most RPG classes). A Bard being somewhat of a Rogue with musical talents, and some magic ability.

Thus, people are rightly referring to them as Bards, I may be mistaken, but I don\'t believe that D&D is your intellectual property, therefore who are you to say what they can call a class?

A \'Bard\' is a class in this context, not a profession.

EDIT: Since there are no \'classes\' madrigal could apply, but does not have to, as it won\'t necessarily be a profession. So no, I won\'t call them that, for your sake or anyone elses.

From this day forward, I am referring to all wizards as football players.  o.o

Get my point?

Anyway, I was only asking. :D
I am made from the dust of the stars,
And the oceans flow in my veins.
Here I hide in the heart of the city,
Like a stranger coming out of the rain.

Yarulion

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 01:22:29 am »
I, for one, do not get your point.

She was referring to the etymological precedent from which the term \"bard\" evolved into common usage in role-playing games.

You, however, linked two totally dissociated terms in an effort to make fun of her logic. I fail to see the relevance.

There\'s this whole thing called colloquialism that I could probably write five pages on here, but suffice it to say the following. It does not matter in the least bit what the actual meaning of a word is, because communication is all about what people think of when they hear it. If the actual meaning of \"yes\" were elephant, it would not matter if I could answer a question yes and be understood by 99.9% of people who heard me. Many examples can be found in languages by examining idioms.

For instance, I\'m from the Southeast United States, where quite a few people say \"I\'m fixing to...\" do whatever. Of course, to fix means to repair something that is broken. BUT, in a lot of English society, it has become synonymous with the verb prepare. (e.g. I\'m going to fix [prepare] breakfast) So, in the South it\'s common to hear that rather than someone is preparing to do something, they\'re fixing to do it. You couldn\'t walk up to anyone and say \"I\'m repairing to go to bed,\" though, or they wouldn\'t know what you were talking about.

See what I mean?
Firiath! ?-idhren! ?-vatha i brestanneth?
Ir tolthach e-m?r, dangweth avo telitha anech!
Man agorathach?
Ir m?r dhanna, gostathach di-nguruthos!

The Alliance of Carceri[/SIZE]

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 01:42:44 am »
Thanks Yarulion

That\'s the point I was hoping to get across.. that meanings mean nothing without a matching interpretation.

I like Red Jelly Beans!