Author Topic: "Is there a priest in the house?"  (Read 1419 times)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
"Is there a priest in the house?"
« on: September 24, 2005, 08:07:42 am »
No I \'m not beyond the help of a doctor :P

I was just wondering if there were any players interested in becoming priests.

In the past I \'ve performed a couple weddings, mainly for friends, because there was nobody else around to do it. Zan Drithor did grow up among monks but he isn\'t a very religious person so it doesn\'t quite fit in his character. I also have plenty of projects to handle at the moment. There is the Festival of the Hunt, the Community of Vaalnor and my real life duties and hobbies.

So since quite a few people have been asking me to perform any weddings recently but I regretfully had to decline I figured I \'d put the word out on the forums.

Yliakum needs more priests and religion! If you \'re interested in becoming one I \'m always willing to help out with some pointers or sending people who need \'divine help\' in your direction.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 08:16:02 am »
Somebody around here has always had the line \"Number of Weddings Performed as a freespirited(?) monk: 2\" in their signature, so I suppose that would be the type of person you are looking for.  Unfortunatly I have no Idea who exactly it is, It\'s just their signature always catches my eye.

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 08:22:15 am »
It was Zan himself. :)
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.

Zan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 08:45:43 am »
*nods*

Like Hitancrias said, that was me but I replaced that line since my signature is limited and I \'ve been picking up other initiatives.
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

kriller

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 09:48:07 am »
What does it practically mean to be a priest? What duties is there exept weddings?
Keep on running, otherwise you\'ll never catch up.

SuburbanPlankton

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 11:04:07 am »
Originally posted by kriller
What does it practically mean to be a priest? What duties is there exept weddings?

Well, at this point being a priest is entirely an RP profession, so there aren\'t too many \"official duties\".  There is the occasional wedding to preside over (it looked from the pictures that Janner\'s recent wedding ceremony lasted all of 5 minutes), and...I can\'t really think of anything else.

What else would you do if you were a priest?  You could provide blessings (or curses), perform other rituals if you can think of some, basically whatever you think might be needed.

The main thing is; your character must want to be a priest, and act accordingly.  Although it is a \"part-time gig\", it \'s something that you will need to role-play full time.  Exactly what that means in terms of your character is up to you.  You could be a very  devout solemn priest, a dark evil priest, a \"free-spirited monk\", whatever you want as long as it\'s in character.

kriller

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 03:58:41 pm »
Sounds interesting...

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 10:10:11 pm »
It was Zan himself.  

Blast.  I had a feeling that it would have been him, seemed like too much of a coincidence... oh well.  Now I now who it was at least.

kriller

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 06:58:52 am »
I wonder why cursing priests are the most enticing, I mean, there already is enough cursing people out here in the real world. Perhaps it\'s becuase of ones wish to see a priest who isn\'t kind. But the states seem to have a lot of wacko priests...

lanser

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • No Longer Mordraugion Settings AD
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 08:31:34 am »
I could do with a priest of Talad if anyone wants to volunteer :)
Hokinon Korere
Wandering Yliakum searching for lost memories...

Zinnius Zann
Right hand to a Queen

zabeal

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 09:10:42 am »
Then maybe that is what you have been searching for, Lanser? Maybe it is the call of religion ;)

I cannot offer my services as a priest, but I will do what I can to help those who have sworn their duty to others.

May the light of the crystal always shine on you.

Lux perpetua luceat eis

Shooree

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 09:15:10 am »
I completely agree with you, Zan. I believe that it is about time that we get an organized clergy. or at least a dedicated priest that would frequent the Temple or some other locale, for that matter.

I have a question for the religious masses. Would you preffer that your priest be with no guild affiliation, or do you not care?

Or mayhaps, when the time comes, a dedicated religeous organization is to emerge, to govern the practices and issue general \"work licences\" for the would-be priests? Perhaps this is a bit too far off, for the moment... Anyhow, I\'d like to see religion comming to play.

lanser

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • No Longer Mordraugion Settings AD
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 10:13:06 am »
Originally posted by zabeal
Then maybe that is what you have been searching for, Lanser? Maybe it is the call of religion ;)

While I am sure that the thought of a vow of celibacy would appeal to Hokinon at the moment :(  I\'m not sure he could last the rest of his life (those damn fenkis are too appealing :) ) just to have an object blessed.
Hokinon Korere
Wandering Yliakum searching for lost memories...

Zinnius Zann
Right hand to a Queen

Zan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 10:31:35 am »
Well Suburban did a good job at summing up what a priest can do I see. The main thing right now is perform the wedding rituals and bless the union of those that want to be tied together. Aside from that there is a lot of roleplaying you can do though ... I can see priests do missionary work, give out blessings, remove or place curses, recruit people to their religion, ... and even perform mass at some time in the future.

Nothing says that the priests of Yliakum need to be like our priests though. I don\'t see why they have to stay away from the virtues of the flesh or even live the lives of a pacifist. The gods of Yliakum aren\'t quite like the gods we know either so why should their children be ;)
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

SuburbanPlankton

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 12:38:59 pm »
I think it would be a great addition to have some visible religious presence in the game.  I could see having a \"Priest\'s Guild\" made up of a variety of different religious figures of different denominations, performing services either for hire, or for free in support of the common good.

Although I\'m not sure if the community is ready to support such an effort yet, there might very well be some existing Guilds who might find it useful to have a priest as a member.

And Zan is right about the requirements of the priestly life.  The religions of Yliakum are not like those of Earth; there is no reason to think that their priests would necessarily follow the same lifestyle.  I would think that the only \"requirement\" would be some sort of intimate connection with the god in question; how that connection is played out, and what lifestyle surrounds it, are completely at your discretion as a role-player.