Author Topic: Non-English Speakers Wanted  (Read 17648 times)

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: Non-English Speakers Wanted
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:26 am »
Good start! A question: Do you think it's possible to incorporate complex script languages like Hindi? It's spoken by almost a billion people, about 15% of world population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi
A sample keyboard layout, I don't know if it helps; http://www.aksharamala.com/help/chm/Input%20Schemes/KBD/Devanagari/hindi.html

utf8 should be supported by crystal space but our font doesn't have such characters as far as i know

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 07:31:10 am »
@ Caarrie:

What means "SL", where in the whole PS GUI can I find that?
What would I "Unclaim"?
Is "Hostility" related to MOBs or to landscape areas?
What means the "H" in "H:", what means the "Z" in "Z:"?

And so on...

Remember, some translators may never have seen e.g. a GM dialog or an effect editor dialog.

you can _always_ open up all the gui xml files and look at them for what they do ;) you would unclaim a petition and H is for hours and i have no idea what Z is for. most likely if you have not seen it then it might be ok to not translate it ;)

silverstein

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 05:19:25 am »
Thought I do not actualy play PS (only read forums) I'm considering a translation to Catalan, the amount of phrases is no too big... but is an idea only that can change tomorrow.
---------------
Serrallonga

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »
The more languages the better as far as I'm concerned, whether Catalan or Leetspeak.  I do not think we currently support asian languages though, nor do we support languages that write from right to left or vertically.

Please keep building them up on the wiki and the week before the next release we'll ask everyone to bless them and make sure they are "final".

Thanks for your support.

silverstein

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 06:27:35 am »
DONE! Catalan. I now just only need a GM acount to test de properness of it all ;)
---------------
Serrallonga

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 12:27:09 pm »
Chances are good that we have testers who may understand Catalan too...
__

I remember from my good old days as DVD Authorer, that there is an important difference between "spanish" and "catalan" - possibly similar to "chinese" and "mandarin"/"cantonese"... Is that much more than just a dialect, maybe like "Platt" or rather like "Sorbian" in Germany? I see it being registered as own language.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

silverstein

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 05:04:27 am »
Portuguese is closer to Spanish than Catalan. But that's not the key point, of course all latin languages ressemble, I speak french and spanish and one can  (with a little previous practice) undestand italian and portuguese (and romanian I suppose) without a great effort. I think the same happens with germanic languages, the learning curve is easier for one of these languages if you know well another. Anyway Catalan is a dialect from Latin, like Spanish and others.

Grettings
---------------
Serrallonga

Allaann

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 01:55:41 pm »
Hello all ..
i`m working on the romanian page. romanian speakers can help out a bit. \\o//
http://pswiki.xordan.com/index.php/Romanian  :beta:

i have finished the Romanian translation of GUI. If are any Romanian players here please help me to correct the eventually mistakes.

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 11:31:45 am »
Long time since I have logged in here, so hi again PS :D

As I was reading this it occurred to me that the approach you are taking is possibly a lot slower than could be taken ...

A very simple PHP program could have a database of all the strings used as they are in English and present any user with the option to add a translation andor verify an existing translation.

By keeping track of how many people verify a particular translation, 'super' users in each language could be presented with a frequency sorted list of translations suggested by the population at large.

The 'super' user could select the translation that they felt was most appropriate and that person could be saved a lot of time typing.

Additionally, when new words or phrases are added, they andor currently untranslated phrases could be presented first to people willing to help, so that the database becomes rapidly populated.

But .. the real advantage would be that language specific XML files could then be auto-generated from the database tables, eliminating the high likelihood of typos.

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 05:22:08 am »
To what address are we supposed to email help.xml files?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 08:15:57 am »
To what address are we supposed to email help.xml files?

you can add them to pswiki and a dev will put them in svn.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »
Hi everyone,

I will start adding these to our official codebase but I would like for people to go to the wiki, review the language they know (if any) and write a note at the top of the page for that language like "I have reviewed and approve the translations below.  -Vengeance".  Sign it with your name and when we have about 5 people approving a particular language, I'll add it.

Thanks!

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:47 pm »
"I have reviewed and approve the translations below.  -Vengeance". 

an easy way to add this line to your language page you have reviewed put the following in the page, NOTE this will add your name to the page and everything venge asked for, just register and go use it ;)
Code: [Select]
{{subst:Approve}}

for those that DISAPPROVE of a translation you can use
Code: [Select]
{{subst:disapprove}}
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:32:04 pm by Caarrie »

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 02:47:50 am »
I'd like to add that you might be interested to check for changes to the italian language (just because it's the one I'm personally updating so it's more updated from the others) because there were some additions from when the first template was posted: http://planeshift.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/planeshift/trunk/lang/italian/stringtable.xml?revision=3026&view=markup you can check also for diff from there.
I will remake the sed script i did last time as I've lost it and update the basic template soon so check it out

nightwolf

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 02:42:01 pm »
Links don't work for me :((