Author Topic: Non-English Speakers Wanted  (Read 17919 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Non-English Speakers Wanted
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »
German is already quite completely done by the german community (psde.de).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 02:32:39 am »
Why not translating the website together with the news e.t.c.?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2010, 03:17:46 am »
Because many reliable volunteers would be required. And from my exprerience, such people are an extremely rare exception.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 06:13:02 am »
I can help with Greek and Russian  plus I am a member of Cucumis it is a translator community they translate for free.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:23:12 am by Catlemur »

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 11:09:05 pm »
this still needed? I could do danish :)
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2011, 12:26:02 am »
send me the translation file taking the italian one as base (it's the one with most entries)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2011, 02:14:51 am »
Still in need of Spanish?  O--)

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2011, 02:54:34 am »
Check lang/spanish/stringtable.xml and see if you are satisfied.

How big may the difference between spanish dialects be? I remember DVDs have a specific "Catalan" language.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:31 am »
There are galego, euskera, catalan, valentian (similar, but different from catalan), bable (or asturianu), and a lot more… They're different to the point someone from Madrid (only knows plain Spanish) can't understand catalan, for example.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2011, 04:42:43 am »
Probably comparable to german extremes too (Low German = "Plattdeutsch" vs. Swabian or Bavarian); but at least, High German is the common official language in Germany. And there are only a few bavarian villages known to refuse it (our kind of "hillbillies").

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

echong

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Elijah Kane Chong, Artist
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2011, 01:24:44 pm »
There are galego, euskera, catalan, valentian (similar, but different from catalan), bable (or asturianu), and a lot more… They're different to the point someone from Madrid (only knows plain Spanish) can't understand catalan, for example.

not to mention all the dialects of latin america.
be the change you wish to see in PS

croustibat

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09:05 am »

I am french, quite fluent in english, and my GF is american, so we can help with translations. I have noticed translation errors ingame and on the wiki, so i would like to correct them.

I also noticed some  problems, not really glitches or bugs so i dont know if they deserve a bug report or not.

1/problem linked to word length : on the statistics display for example, the french words used are bigger than original words, and this cause them to occupy more space. A tab caption sometimes overlap with the next tab caption. i can see only 1 solution : setting tab caption width to be a %age of the text length. This is not easily done though.

2/font problem : specific language characters are not displayed with the same fonts as other characters. Such as é, à, è (you might not see them here depending on your installed fonts)

I may join the dev community aswell. I work on critical plane softwares (flight control, pressure control, temperature control, auxiliary power unit control, network control and so on)  in C / C++ languages, and know how to test. But i dont have a lot of spare time.  I guess this is not the good thread for that  :offtopic:

croustibat

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:34 am »
Translation mostly done, i still have some trouble with some words that can translate differently depending on the context. There are a lot of duplicates in the current french stringtable file, and sometimes it is just broken, with french phrases on the left side. Dont drink and translate please people ...

So i still have a few questions.

1/ What should i do about duplicates ? Identical lines : 20 68, 133 167, 41 59, 50 63 253, 111 124, 208 239, 198 592.
2/ What should i do about words that translate differently upon context, words that need a context defined, or expressions that does not exist in french? these are lines :
23 :unpickable: are we talking about an item lying on the ground, like a 10 tons statue, or about a lock ?
31 : combine x in container : this is actually quite hard to translate. We use the name of the container or its type, not a generic word.
40: buffs . These are quite never translated. We just use the english word. It could be translated in "changement temporaire" but no one would recognize it.
51: active . Translates in many words upon context.
64: wait : used as "hey, wait!!!" it translates into "attend" . used as "please wait" it translates into "attendre"
67: unclaim : i need serious context here. claiming land/item is not used like that in french, and unclaiming is not used either
71: escalation . This translate in many ways. Based on other lines it can be "prioriser" or  "augmentation"
114, 122 and on and on : it says "each values 250 Tria" or other values. this cant really be translated as is, i need some context info here. It appears numerous times with different values, maybe it could be used with a %s or something to simplify ?
129: "mount" . Depends on the context. Can i assume it is "mounting an animal" ? i have the same problem with unmount.
177 : line is buggy/lost.
273 : word to translate is just a space !
280 : i dont understand that sentence, could some explain it ?
293: i need to know if 'the armor' is mine or the one of an opponent
320 : "Active magic" . Can have more than 1 meaning, i cant translate unless i know which one
387 : tweaks . I use that word quite often, yet i am not really sure of its translation. I would use "ajustements" , it is quite close.
399 : claim . See problem at line 67
525 : "pub notes" . Is this "public notes" ? please explain.

thats it, i corrected almost 75% of the other entries, from the HEAD repository file. How do i upload that ?

Drogos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 10:38:09 am »
Just to let you know, the link in the first post do not point to the same location as the text says it does.

croustibat

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 10:49:03 am »
i sourced the file from
http://planeshift.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/planeshift/trunk/lang/french/stringtable.xml?view=log

not from the wiki, just to make sure i used the latest file. I hope i did it right...