Do you think this is reasonable?

Yes
13 (37.1%)
No
5 (14.3%)
Who cares?
17 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: What's with the anti-atheist sentiment in the character creation screen?  (Read 1208 times)

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
If you look on the character creation screen when selecting your religion, it spews out a large amount of insults to atheist. I don't know if this is intended to be applied to meatspace, if it's the action of one developer, if it reflects the attitudes of the whole organization, but I kind of don't like their stance. As an atheist I find it offensive, and as a human being I find it unreasonable to bash anybody's beliefs like that.

Here's the text itself: "People who are attracted to this religion: people who have had a bad experience with religion, staunch individualists, the anti-social, and the irrational."

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: What's with the anti-atheist sentiment in the character creation screen?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:00:47 am »
This is written as an IC view from the somewhat medieval values the game has. This should not be taken as an OOC offence against atheists. This is more of a way to say that if your character is an atheist in-game, it will have consequences in the way that no gods will help you in certain situations. So IC atheism isn't the best choice, but a choice nonetheless.

From one OOC atheist to another ;)
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:38:00 am »
Don't be offendend, it is not you (or me) who is being called irrational, it is your ingame character.
Yliakum has many gods and their existance is proven. They even appear now and then and interact directly with the population.
So, not believing in them would be like not believing in trees.  ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:59:14 am »
Furthermore, there already had been a discussion about the meaning of the term "atheistic" in general ("Not believing in gods" vs. "Not believing in the inevitable fate"). That one does not need to be repeated here.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:36:50 am »
Don't mix OOC knowledge with IC knowledge. Atheists in game are nutcases since there are actually gods that show themselves, when Atheists in real life are not crazy since no god has actually shown himself/herself/whatever.

There are gods in PS. Being an Atheists means that your character will spend forever in the death realm.

-sig by sarras

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:34 am »
Furthermore, there already had been a discussion about the meaning of the term "atheistic" in general ("Not believing in gods" vs. "Not believing in the inevitable fate"). That one does not need to be repeated here.

Hopefully if a wipe ever comes the same can be done to most of the forum threads as well.

- Nova

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:42 am »
Pretty much what the others said.

In the PS Universe, there are gods who are real and do show themselves and have real powers.

In the real Universe, there are no gods that are real, and as such, will never show themselves or have any sort of power. Images on toast do not count.

Fiction is fun. Don't take offense at it.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »
Allied Atheist Alliance... the true answer to the great question, the most logical choice.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:52 pm »
In the real Universe, there are no gods that are real, and as such, will never show themselves or have any sort of power. Images on toast do not count.

While I agree with you, I love the matter-of-fact stance you just took on that.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »
Sorry to bust up the party boys but self declared victory is no more a reality than ya'll perceive God to be. While you are well within your rights to say you think it is a lot of bunk. You can't actually prove it either way. ;D

But consider this, If God doesn't bother answer challenges (note this is different than inquiry) to his existence, that just means he has a better Troll policy. ;)

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:43 pm »
I agree. But at the same time it's  the supreme lurker.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 10:33:46 pm »
As above, so below.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 08:43:39 pm »
If you don't like how athiests are treated, then don't be one, in RL i am an athiest, however in game, im all for Xiosia. from my point of view, in-game what you want to call religion, i call point of view, its a point of perspective, since it is proven that all the gods exist, when you select a 'religion' you are actually choosing who you want to worship, if you pick athiest i simply believe that just means you dont want to worship anyone.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »

Talad was seen in the Kada-el last week and in the Hydlaa Plaza a few months before that. Don't confuse an in game religious experience from the one(s) that are acted out on the players' world.

My understanding of the settings is that one would have to be crazy to deny the existence of gods in PS.

- Nova

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 03:56:55 am »
I am aware of the fact that in-game it would be silly to deny the existence of gods, but I'm worried (and I think legitimately so) that this reflects the views of the developers and is an expression of such, rather than a purely IC thing.

I also have problems with a choice in gameplay that is objectively worse than the other alternatives (like hat if one race was objectively worse? that would be silly), but that doesn't bother me as much.