Do you think this is reasonable?

Yes
13 (37.1%)
No
5 (14.3%)
Who cares?
17 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: What's with the anti-atheist sentiment in the character creation screen?  (Read 1209 times)

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
Re: What's with the anti-atheist sentiment in the character creation screen?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 08:52:47 am »
I am aware of the fact that in-game it would be silly to deny the existence of gods, but I'm worried (and I think legitimately so) that this reflects the views of the developers and is an expression of such, rather than a purely IC thing.

I still don't understand where are you going with this reasoning, even if they believe in The Force I couldn't care less.
oh, maybe I'm wrong and this is The Matrix. Whatever.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 09:15:56 am »
I am aware of the fact that in-game it would be silly to deny the existence of gods, but I'm worried (and I think legitimately so) that this reflects the views of the developers and is an expression of such, rather than a purely IC thing.

don't worry, it isn't. at least of myself I know quite well that I'm anything, but a religious person.
I don't know about the believes of the others, but I'm very sure that is has little effect on the work on this project.

actually, you don't have to limit yourself to the choices ingame, either.
for example you may play a character that isn't atheist (i.e. doesn't deny the obvious existence of gods), however doesn't follow a specific one either, which would probably fit a very well educated character that doesn't fail to see the relation between the gods :)

Boaal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 03:47:52 am »
Hmm, so even if the character does accept the existence of gods in planeshift, but doesn't follow them, are they still irrational crazy Athiests?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 04:36:23 am »
Furthermore, there already had been a discussion about the meaning of the term "atheistic" in general ("Not believing in gods" vs. "Not believing in the inevitable fate"). That one does not need to be repeated here.
"Or maybe it does." (From the title screen of "Eternal Damnation", a mod for "Postal 2")

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 06:58:10 am »
I am an Atheist but I do not care!!!

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10:48 am »
actually, you don't have to limit yourself to the choices ingame, either.
for example you may play a character that isn't atheist (i.e. doesn't deny the obvious existence of gods), however doesn't follow a specific one either, which would probably fit a very well educated character that doesn't fail to see the relation between the gods :)

Or Klyroses in general if they know their history and generalizes some things  :detective:
I believe your point is the reason why some have previously wished for a change of word for it. A slight change in definition, or another option altogether might be viable to ease the masses.

Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 07:35:14 am »
Hmm, so even if the character does accept the existence of gods in planeshift, but doesn't follow them, are they still irrational crazy Athiests?

surerly not, as an atheist is one that doesn't believe (in gods) at all.