Author Topic: Music system  (Read 128 times)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Music system
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:57 pm »
This was what I wanted when creating Parallo in the first place. He made his spot in the Dark Empire first by writing marches and such for them. Lets see it. I tried looking for videos and I tried searching the forums for it. Maybe I missed it Can anyone save me downloading the game to see it by recording some sort of demonstration or linking me to one? It'd be much appreciated and you'd have my gratitude.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Music system
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 01:49:14 am »
The music system is still very limited in several ways. Most important, melodies are limited to the notes a specific instrument is able to produce, e.g. a pan flute has a more limited frequency range and a more limited polyphony than a lute. Also the shortest playable notes are still rather long, you may not be able to trust less than 1/4. The support of the MusicXML standard is so specifically limited that hardly any other scoring application is able to create compatible files, but editing in-game lacks a grade of precision and intuitiveness (e.g. you never know if a click will set the cursor, put a note, change a note, or whatever will happen).

And then there is another big flaw: As long as you did not powerlevel "Musical instrument" to a level of 100, you will have your melody slowed down by very annoying factors. And in addition, this slowdown makes powerleveling music quite impossible (I gave up after a level about 20). Talad himself said in a "Dev Q&A" session that he did not intend it this way. I would agree to a slowdown for maybe the first 5 or 10 levels, quickly decreasing though; limiting the length or complexity of playable melodies in lower levels is also a credible interpretation of a "lack of experience". The first approach was a mistuning, but that resulted in a cacophony, even at level 20, so no melody was recognizable...

I wish I had any clue about the work of a "Rules" developer; I have an own imagination about a balance between credibility and annoyance, but no information who would be interested in it and able to implement it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:51:15 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty