Author Topic: A few thoughts on alchemy  (Read 129 times)

bilbous

A few thoughts on alchemy
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:08:49 am »
I am wondering why there is such a disparity in the amounts of ingredients for various essences. You need massive amounts of ingredients to make air essences but very few for earth essences. I mean I get that feeble creatures produce low value parts and tough ones get high value ones, that makes sense. The issue I have is that there isn't much balance of sources between essences so that some essences have only low quality sources and some only high quality sources. Shouldn't all essences have a balanced mix of sources? Is it just a matter of a limited set of sources?

Why do so many critters drop hearts and so few egg sacs? is it because there are more ways to heal than to boost your mana? Why did the forest arangma in ojaveda get removed so that you have to hunt the uneven terrain of the magic shop path? Why don't other types of arangma drop the low quality egg sacs too? Could we have a dozen or so more sand arangmas in that desert? could marfusang have egg sacs? how about gawert wings for higher quality air ingredients?

hmm maybe I'm just not hunting enough carkerasses maybe poison carkerass scale could be a mega air ingredient.

Any thoughts?

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: A few thoughts on alchemy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:47:53 am »
I am wondering why there is such a disparity in the amounts of ingredients for various essences. You need massive amounts of ingredients to make air essences but very few for earth essences. I mean I get that feeble creatures produce low value parts and tough ones get high value ones, that makes sense. The issue I have is that there isn't much balance of sources between essences so that some essences have only low quality sources and some only high quality sources. Shouldn't all essences have a balanced mix of sources? Is it just a matter of a limited set of sources?

disparity in the amounts of ingredients had to be done in order to make some potions economically worthwhile to make (animal parts value has been accounted for)
regarding the animal parts availability we know it's not equal for everything but we wanted to avoid adding more animal parts and more NPCs, maybe in the future we may redistribute some of them to make some specific mobs less rare even if some will be rarer than others in the dome level.

Why did the forest arangma in ojaveda get removed so that you have to hunt the uneven terrain of the magic shop path?

a few months ago there has been a "mob hunt project" to identify npc unappropriated in the settings contest, forest arangmas outside ojaveda were deemed too close to the city guards being aggressive mobs and they have been removed.

bilbous

Re: A few thoughts on alchemy
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:32:44 pm »
Thank you for your comment. I figured it was something of a work in progress as is the rest of the game and by that I do not mean that you are actively still working on this aspect, just that at some point in the future it may get revisited. It was suggested to me that I should talk to you about it and I am glad to have found you. Mostly, I guess I just need to focus my hunting towards specific results rather than expect to get balanced results from random slaughter.