Author Topic: Food for Thought: What is RP?  (Read 105 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Food for Thought: What is RP?
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:42:37 pm »
RP is an extremely hard to define and hard to pinpoint concept. At the same time, many people can easily point out when what they are looking at "doesn't count" as RP.  Nevertheless I do think it is possible to sketch the outlines even if you can't give it a hard definition.

RP is:
Giving a character a life and helping them to pursue it one scene at a time...
Taking on the story of a character, not just their role...
Telling a larger story one or a few characters at a time...
Telling a communal story by the hands of several people...

I think everything else falls in to a style category, but these are the core elements of RP across its various forms.

What do you think? Are there other core elements that I forgot? Do you think RP should have a hard definition, at least in PS?

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: Food for Thought: What is RP?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:02:39 pm »
I use a very technically applicable definition, for myself.  I have a spectrum of Role–Rheme which I use for classifying gameworlds and such.  Again, probably more useful for game design than for game play.

Anyways . . .

A ha!  Thanks be to you, Illysia; I just now discovered how to describe the differences of purpose between me and most of the people here who call themselves role–players — and, indeed, many enclaves of role–players anywhere.

You see, for me, the appeal of taking an avatar lies in the immersive aspects.  Stories result upon the interaction between the setting of that player and my use of the player, and are certainly a perk, but not the sole justification for the engagement; well, here I especially refer to the balladic aspect of stories, and less so the mythic aspect.
Compare that to most of the role–playing done here, and by those who hail or take influence from the dice–rolling & pen–and–paper heritage, which emphasizes creating actors for use in stories and adventures.  Leastways, that's how it appears to me.

I hope that elucidates my post here regarding Plotting and Pantsing.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Food for Thought: What is RP?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:06:53 pm »
I have never played a table top game so I don't really know how roleplay differs there than it does here. I do know that stats and adventures are more important there.