Author Topic: A better implementation of the Drawing skill?  (Read 281 times)

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
A better implementation of the Drawing skill?
« on: November 05, 2018, 04:21:21 pm »
The Drawing skill.
As it operates now, there is no way to practice it, so there are a few trainers who offer repetitive quests for you to improve it.  I say ā€˜repetitiveā€™ because their dialogue doesn't change to simulate a new lesson each time you speak with them.

It is possible that this particular skill in the UE4 version was discussed but that I never saw it.

Anyway, so those quests are a placeholder, of course, for the fact that the act of drawing really doesn't function like any of the other ā€˜jobsā€™ skills.
To that end, I would like to submit this for discussion and consideration:
  • Allow users to draw or import images. Vector graphics with information embedded for shading, hatching, and other such effects in regions ā€” we probably want to have different materials and tools used when painting or sketching: like charcoal, oils, brushes, daubersā€¦
  • Those images are then used as plots to render something much like with crafting.
    The chief factor in the fidelity of the resultant drawing, compared to your original, would be your skill in Drawing; of course, you could add complexities like ā€œbeginner's luckā€, subpar tools, your mental stamina, distractions in your environment versus the Will statā€¦
  • Each time your plot is rendered on a new substrate ā€” paper, canvas, wood, metal, whatever, ā€” you gain ā€˜practice pointsā€™.

Personally, I prefer a different paradigm to implementing skills that distinguishes among familiarity with particular recipies, generic proficiency, and a few other things.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:48:15 pm by Can-ned Food »
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn