Author Topic: "Moogie the Generous"- Competition: submit your ideas!  (Read 1784 times)

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
"Moogie the Generous"- Competition: submit your ideas!
« on: July 13, 2003, 12:22:03 pm »
Hey guys!

I have 900 crystals I\'ve been saving up as prize money for a big competition, but I need your help!

I\'d like you to post as many ideas for a competition as possible. I\'m not liking the idea of ingame activities such as races (due to lag problems, crashing etc. Any manner of things to go wrong...) so it\'ll have to be some kind of quiz or art compo, based here in the forum or on a temporary website I could whip up on Geocities.

I have a few ideas myself- maybe a storytelling competition, or \"test your knowledge\" type quiz, or even \"best design for a PS city/dungeon\". Who knows, for the latter I could even submit the winning entry(s) to the devs and see what they say. :)

So, let\'s see what we come up with! Make sure it\'s something everyone is capable of competing in... for example, we all have some kind of paint program, we can all type, we all have brains to answer questions. Not everyone has 3D modelling software though, so nothing like \"who can model the best dragon\" or anything.

Thanks and let\'s make this worthwhile and fun! :)

P.S. I\'ll keep saving up my crystals, so 900 will probably not be the total prize money by the time everything is decided.

Caldazar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 12:25:50 pm »
How about... a screensaver contest? Or skins to different programs, winamp, macamp, opera etc.?

Umm.. how do one create a screensaver?
Browsing the forums when I\'m bored, nothing more.

druke

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 12:28:24 pm »
oh oh oh how bout we all write pen and paper dungeons with a key, etc. not only will it be good comp, but you all would save me time to write them up. :]

my how times have changed.....

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 12:28:59 pm »
lol, I have no idea how to create a screensaver. Also I\'d like to try and keep it strictly PS orientated... hmm, skins... how about a character skinning competition?

[Edit: posted at the same time, Druke :P]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 12:29:59 pm by Moogie »

Iamthom

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 12:43:05 pm »
hmmm..... prob ayshe would win that......

how bout like how can create the coolest PS ingame interface, like you know change all the buttons around and the hp + mp stuff.
- Milden/Mildew (whichever you knew me by)

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 12:47:22 pm »
I kinda like the dungeon/city idea.  I could actually do that.
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

Jedi

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 12:57:33 pm »
:( Boo me. I\'m such a looser. I can\'t do any of that stuff. The only things I can do are graphix work, 3d stuff, and music videos.

...HEY! Why not have a PS music video contest? It would eat so much bandwidth! Ya! :D

But, maybe that\'s a little too much work. I\'d say go with something simple like graphix. Everyone can do that.

Even if you think the music video\'s a dumb idea I\'m still gonna do one. I\'ll post it when I\'m done. ;)

seperot

• Veteran
  • :G
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 12:59:45 pm »
lol cat dancing music video whould be funny

the skin one or the city build one whould be the best i think

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 01:06:37 pm »
Looking forward to see it, Jedi. :)

Seems the GUI/character skinning and \"Design a Dungeon\" ideas are quite popular so far. I think it\'s inevitable this will end up as some  kind of graphics-related competition, but keep the suggestions coming. :)

Iamthom

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2003, 01:13:17 pm »
yea i would like to do the dungeon thing..... screw my idea!
- Milden/Mildew (whichever you knew me by)

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 01:19:32 pm »
Yeah I was thinking of designing a dungeon anyway, now maybe I\'ll actually do it :)
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Jedi

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 01:19:57 pm »
I might be able to do the dungeon thing...What does it entail? Do I need special software?

Thank you, bear with me. I am teh n00bz0|2z. :(

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2003, 01:29:38 pm »
Thanks to an idea suggested by Morgian, there can be a comprimise as to the ideas we settle for in this compo.

If the competition and prize money is split into three, we can hold \"best skin\", \"best dungeon design\" and \"best short story\". That way, people not good at art can write a story. People who\'s native tongue is not English can design a skin or a dungeon.

How does that sound?

[Edit: Oh no! I forgot to answer you Jedi, just after I said I would, no less. I\'d imagine that designing a dungeon requires only your imagination and a pen and pencil. You\'d draw a plan of the area, highlight points of interest such as NPCs, quests, monster types/locations, etc.]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 01:31:20 pm by Moogie »

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2003, 01:34:12 pm »
Wait so what do you mean by dungeon then?  I was gonna go make a whole huge 3-D model, and I\'m sorry but that seems a bit more difficult then just modifying a texture.  Not that I have any reason to be complaining coz\' I pry won\'t actually do it, nor do I care about a prize, but it just sounds a bit unbalanced.
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2003, 01:42:32 pm »
It won\'t be a case of \"best skin versus best dungeon versus best story\", all three will be seperate and thus totally balanced. Further details such as the methods of creating the dungeon or what rules should be applied to stories can be worked out later, after we\'ve decided that\'s what it\'s gonna be about. :)