Author Topic: Progres Report  (Read 2938 times)

-FoX-

Progres Report
« on: January 07, 2004, 05:49:42 pm »
Me again, think it wood (hehehe) be hand if their could be a progress report happening every once and a while weather it be on the NEWS section at the site, or if on here...         Also if their is any GUESTEMATIONS on release date of the actual game.

roguewolftamer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 06:04:40 pm »

thats probably how much they\'ve got done ever since release, but when CB comes out ill give them

:)

release date prob before febuary, if not then stop asking :)

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 06:21:05 pm »
I guess part of the issue, as well, is that many of the reports may not make much sense and others would not make sense to announce.

For example,  if we said that we are in the process now of converting our spr models to skeleton versions using the cal3d library then  that would not mean much to many.

Similarly if we said, here\'s a new creature, here\'s what it looks like, here\'s all it\'s vital stats then you loose the \'wow\' factor when seeing it in game.

I do agree though that we are a bit \'light\' on the news reports but they are not as easy to create as you might think.  :)
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 07:03:50 pm »
Originally posted by acraig
For example,  if we said that we are in the process now of converting our spr models to skeleton versions using the cal3d library then  that would not mean much to many.

But those that do understand it would worship you for saying it. ;)

Anyway, if you need a progress report so badly, go checkout the CVS and see the progress for yourself... Its not for the faint of heart, though...
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 07:23:14 pm »
Well, seeing that dwarf model in game after a long time is really inspiring to see.  Vengeance put in a hell of a lot of work there in trying to work in 4 different cvs repositories at once and have a working system at the end of it.  I think people will be really suprised how much cooler characters and the monsters will look with this new system.

The next tasks here are to test the equiping of items to see if any work is needed there and to test the texture customization so you can select different things in character creation.  ( Like in MB )
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

roguewolftamer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 07:49:32 pm »
acraig, how about a progress report like, CB may be out sometime this time or another, or even something like, we\'re getting alot of work done, or we\'re getting more work done then planned (recently) so CB could be out anytime now, or something like ur last post how things are looking great and what this release would mainly test

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 03:57:21 am »
So basically, all you want is the release date for CB, right?

Well there\'s one main reason why the devs don\'t weekly update people on what they think will be the deadline: They don\'t want to disappoint their fans.

Think about it. One week they might announce that their work is coming along great and, at that speed, the game could be released in as little as 2 weeks. Everyone gets excited at the news. But then a week later they announce that one of the main programmers (say, Vengeance) has been extremely busy with life lately, and the work has fallen behind schedule. Now the release date may be as much as a month later. Everyone = hugely disappointed.

So please, don\'t keep pushing them for dates. These wonderful people work on this project in their spare time. It\'s not their job- yes, they have real, money making jobs aswell, so you can start to understand how difficult it is for a group of volunteers to meet deadlines under the circumstances. They will release Crystal Blue when it is ready, and not a moment sooner... because they are totally commited to bringing us something worthy of our continued support over the months and years. I say they deserve some peace and quiet about it for once, no? :)

tallimar

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 04:44:51 am »
aye, i agree with moogie.  i can only imagine the kind of stuff they might be putting themselves through just to do what they\'re doing now and on top of that, ive seen these guys more active on the boards than any other dev team that ive seen.

i say a toast to the makers of planeshift.  *raises a glass of red wine*
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 04:45:29 am by tallimar »

where there is light, there are shadows.

snow_RAveN

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 05:13:54 am »
SHhhhhh Dont use the word or people will start getting spasams ! :O

Any way ps is a Free game the Devs arn\'t getting paied so naturaly things will come slow we\'ll just have to wait like good boys and girls at the candy store while it restocks i mean at least half of you guys have waited 4 years for WC3 so whats wrong in waiting a few more months
Originally posted by DepthBlade
I am not as good as you with posting totally random pointless things that neither are relative or make any sense.

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 07:30:45 am »
Originally posted by Mogura
So basically, all you want is the release date for CB, right?

Well there\'s one main reason why the devs don\'t weekly update people on what they think will be the deadline: They don\'t want to disappoint their fans.

Think about it. One week they might announce that their work is coming along great and, at that speed, the game could be released in as little as 2 weeks. Everyone gets excited at the news. But then a week later they announce that one of the main programmers (say, Vengeance) has been extremely busy with life lately, and the work has fallen behind schedule. Now the release date may be as much as a month later. Everyone = hugely disappointed.

So please, don\'t keep pushing them for dates. These wonderful people work on this project in their spare time. It\'s not their job- yes, they have real, money making jobs aswell, so you can start to understand how difficult it is for a group of volunteers to meet deadlines under the circumstances. They will release Crystal Blue when it is ready, and not a moment sooner... because they are totally commited to bringing us something worthy of our continued support over the months and years. I say they deserve some peace and quiet about it for once, no? :)

Well i see mthe npoint but it is much easier to look forward to a certain date rather than just waiting...well i set a date for myself...to look foward to..it is 30th of January...:P

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

roguewolftamer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 08:03:30 am »
ya, i\'d rather be disappointed then not know alittle bit, and yes i know ppl have life probs, i get them alot, and maybe we need to be disappointed every once in awhile, i know it\'d do me some good every once in awhile but thats up to u mods and devs if u tell :S

and i know what point ur trying to make, that u would rather us not know instead of being disappointed because it was goin along great and then got slowed up and then comes alot of questions about why and such :( so thx for the info anyways

Linulo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 03:20:49 pm »
I\'m new to Planeshift and I must say it is not easy to tell wether the project is being worked on or not from what I could find on the web site. I agree it\'s a bad idea to estimate any dates for the final release, because it would put a lot of pressure on everybody. But I would love to see a little info about what\'s the next step and when it is hoped to be done (+/- a month or so). I promise I won\'t be disappointed if the team would be way behind that schedule. But such info would make me feel more in touch with the project.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 03:31:48 pm »
I don\'t see why you feel that way, Linulo. The news on the main website has been pretty well updated these last few months.

Maybe it\'s a little quiet, but I\'d rather they work on the game than waste time spoiling every little detail of CB to people who just can\'t wait. :P

By the way, welcome to PlaneShift. :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 03:32:33 pm by Moogie »

Linulo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 03:42:36 pm »
Originally posted by Mogura
I don\'t see why you feel that way, Linulo. The news on the main website has been pretty well updated these last few months.

Sorry, I may have put it badly (English not being my mother language). What I meant was I would love to read anything about the next step in the project. Wouldn\'t need to be a complete roadmap nor too specific (\"spoiler\"). Just something like:

Next release:
- Model and Animation for another race
- Testing weapon wielding
- Falling damage, dying, respawning.

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 04:06:01 pm »
\"everything\" is in the history file in the cvs, it\'s updated about twice a day, most stuff is like this though:
- Added setting of -g3 option for the debug mode ( ./configure -enable-debug ) in the Jamrule file.
  The old modus.jam file isn\'t parsed anymore.
- Changed link line for client to include gui lib before paws lib.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council