Author Topic: "...and on the third day it blue-screened.  (Read 941 times)

FaolinBainin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
"...and on the third day it blue-screened.
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:08:56 am »
But hey, I\'m new and a sucker for punnishment.\"

Hello. Appologies if I haven\'t posted this in the right section. Came across the site a couple days ago via who-knows-where. Love the screenshots so far. Looks like it\'s going to be very amusing when and if it\'s finnished.

I -would- play it if I could, but the client wont get past the first screen. I\'m pretty sure it\'s my computer\'s speed or lack-there-of, since I\'m only running on Win NT with a 200 megahertz Pentium processor, 8 gig of -usable- HD, 128 ram and a graphics card not worth mentioning. lol Hoping to upgrade soon. Of course it could be my LAN.
Not looking for Tech help, just rambling.

At any rate I thought I might say hi and watch the forums... maybe post some fanart and otherwise keep an eye on this. ^^

-Faolin

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 12:20:34 pm »
I think that PlaneShift if fairly CPU intesive on the client at the moment.   Optimizations will occur over time but the main goal is a working system.   Most games that are in development now are for hardware that doesn\'t exist, since by the time the game is released it will :)
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Syreal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 05:02:08 pm »
ouch!
200mgz processor! u should be playing Tibia; planeshift NEEDS at least 1gig processor and a good graphics card to be ABLE to walk!
\"Who can resist when your looking down the barrel of a loaded Thnikka Man\"
-Strongbad

FaolinBainin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 09:28:40 pm »
:) Ah, the wonders of the ever-upgrading gaming community. Can\'t complain.

Feeling my pain are you, Syreal? lol I don\'t think I\'ve ever come across Tibia before. Will have to have a look.

Darkmoon

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • "----------"
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 10:16:29 pm »
Originally posted by Syreal
ouch!
200mgz processor! u should be playing Tibia; planeshift NEEDS at least 1gig processor and a good graphics card to be ABLE to walk!

Actually, I can run PS on my machine and walk around everywhere (albeit slowly).  My specs are:

P3 450 Mhz
GeForce3 Ti 500 128 Mb
Win98 OS
256 Mb PC133 RAM

If I can get it to work with that, no one else should have any trouble.  ;)

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 07:23:16 am »
Hiya, welcome to Planeshift. :)

Yup, that\'s a preeeeeeetty old compie you have there. For a fully 3D MMORPG that uses such good graphics, I\'d say you will be needing at the very least the specs that Darkmoon has. Generally, 256mb RAM is the lowest you can have before it just doesn\'t load. You will need even more than this if you also run on Windows XP. I recommend 512mb, but if you can\'t upgrade often I suggest you push the boat out and go for 1024mb, save having to go buy some more a year later or something.

Having a decent graphics card also helps. 64mb and upwards should be fine. *me has 256mb graphics card :D* NVidia and GeForce cards are the current top two in the market.

Lastly, the processor speed is also important, although not to the extend that RAM is. 1gb is good. 3gb is awesome and will run anything you throw at it. :)

That said, hope to see you around. If you have any problems, perhaps the sticky threads in Technical Help and Newbie forums can help. :) If not, post your problem and we\'ll see how we can help you.

[Edit: You have a lovely sig, by the way. That tiger reminds me of a certain little rascal I used to own in a game called Black & White... RIP little Vindex... :(]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 07:24:36 am by Moogie »

FaolinBainin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 07:57:32 am »
Thanks. I\'ll keep your upgrade suggestions in mind. Might as well go all out. ^^\' Hope one day to have a computer I -don\'t- fry.

The tiger in the sig was a birthday present for a friend of mine... around two years back. Glad you like it. Just stuck it in as filler. Going to see about working on a replacement portrait of the Nolthrir I would like to have as a main character.

Syreal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 07:31:07 pm »
yep Planeshift is a freaking monster
i lag and i have
2.4gig Processor
512 DDR ram
64mb Video card
4 fans (not that fans matter)
etc.
\"Who can resist when your looking down the barrel of a loaded Thnikka Man\"
-Strongbad

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 07:40:56 pm »
hehe 2 days untill my computer parts come in.... my computer will pwn all of yours... on that day, i will read my computer specs and you will all be amazed and bow down to the power of whemy!!!!!1 Hehe Im so ready for those parts.... neeeeed.... themm...... *laughs psychotically...*

FaolinBainin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 09:03:09 pm »
Originally posted by whemyfield
hehe 2 days untill my computer parts come in.... my computer will pwn all of yours... on that day, i will read my computer specs and you will all be amazed and bow down to the power of whemy!!!!!1 Hehe Im so ready for those parts.... neeeeed.... themm...... *laughs psychotically...*

...or we will whack you over the head with a comically oversized mallet, steal your hardware and laugh evilly as we leave you in our newly non-laggy dust?

Something like that. :)