Author Topic: Adraax: Klyro's City Project  (Read 51300 times)

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Adraax: Klyro's City Project
« on: May 06, 2006, 01:33:50 pm »
AdRaax • Klyro's City Project
[/size]

Introduction & Objective
[/b][/i][/size]
This Project mainly goal is for the creation of alternatives for Klyros architecture, its not supose to be to create a actual city to implement ingame due to the rules of non disclosure set for artwork to be implemented, in other words if the public see's it before being implemented it wont be..
We also use this project to better ourselves training and maybe one day if we are ready we can help with the game design in a more direct way :D
this project is open to anyone who wants to participate. eaven if is just to give your opinion or sugestions

Goals : Make artwork for klyros Architecture

Linked Articles

• Materials Listing used by klyros on buildings and decorations
• Adraax Klyro's City: Story Telling
• Klyro's City Project: The Klyros Tale
• Adraax : KCP... Names and Places

Klyro's anatomy, physionomy & Psychology

* Able to fly for short periods of time
    * Able to breath under water
    * Likes to hung upside down to sleep
    * Weak structure (bones and build)
    * Likes to live near water
    * Eats Fish, Shellfish, and Algae (famous for crab recipes)
    * Skilled with magic but uses it for practical things(not the best at it)
    * Generally Atheyist

Known Klyro's Architectural, artistic Preferences & way of living

* Like glassy / Specular Surfaces, Mirrors, Polished materials.
    * Sea decor (spirals, waves,shells,squama, fish bones, etc).
    * Pools.
    * klyros are very fond of decorative art magic

known building materials: (corals, clay, light wood, bamboo, small stones, big shells(0.2m > 2m), big fish bones, fungi, squama(what is this?), algae ornaments, anything else? )

Life Styles:
1. Nomads - simple, mobil structures.Main occupation: trading, grazing, hunting,gathering.
2. Farmers - settled form of living. Simple houses, stores, small shop, elder's buildings. Main occupation: agriculure,animal breeding.
3. Town inhabitants - wide range of buildings, different regions housing (ghetto, plaza,market). Main ocupation: commerce, handicraft, servants etc.

random details

1. walking passage ways: 2.5m height, 2m with. minimum values
2. stairs & steps : 0.3m height. maximum values
2. stairs & jumping steps : 0.6m height. maximum values

3d models:

1. Simple house: 500 poly's
2. Big house: 1500+ poly's
3. Tree: 150 poly's
4. House interiors: 3000 poly's
5. whole map: 90000 poly's (including all objects)

Usefull Tutorials:

Water tutorial
Stairs tutorial
Height maping tutorial
Wired crawler post with tutorial and Height maping script
Research folder's:

Research architecture styles
Research coastal areas, cliffs, beach, rock formations and water falls
Research Corals, and some sea life
Research Fungi's
Research Swamp

if anyone wants to add his research, feel free to post the url ;)

The Landscape map

Map(Region) name: ? ? ?

Latest Version:

Color description:
1:Reef,low water2:Deep water
3:Stalagtites4:Rock formations, Cliffs
5:Sand, Beach area6:Plains, Forest, Green areas
7:Roads8:Houses

6th Lvl information:
the forest of glowing fungi
• Swamp like atmosphere
• many canals, gondolas, bridges
• level is full of houses.

2d landscape artwork folder:  http://esnips.com/web/2d-Landscape
3d landscape artwork folder:  http://esnips.com/web/3d-landscape

City Details

City name: ? ? ?
*insert city map here*

2d City artwork folder:  http://esnips.com/web/2d-cityscape
3d City artwork folder:  http://esnips.com/web/3d-cityscape

City Story: ? ? ?
City Districts: ? ? ?
City streets: ? ? ?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 11:46:50 am by minetus »

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Klyro's City Project
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 04:03:48 pm »
i will try to draw up a rough map tommorow with street names etc....  :)

p.s anyone got ideas for a city name ::|

edit: at the moment i'm stuck at "inundium" .... help \\o//
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 04:11:44 pm by rast »
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:34:14 pm »
AdRaax Klyros City
» Building Materials List «

Woods :
ʉۢ Alava : An oak like tree, it's always hollow inside, inside it there are always many animals
ʉۢ Alder Gorn : thin branched bare trees
ʉۢ Almon : Plant Plant
ʉۢ Kryptaro : big swamp tree
ʉۢ Lorigon : A tree that is very hard, like Iron wood
ʉۢ Rangoroi : A light tree, a bit like bambo
ʉۢ Sta : small tree with very long branches
ʉۢ Deggu : Mangrove-like swamp tree. Used for furniture and structure skeletons because of rubber qualities when wet.

Stone :
ʉۢ Limestone[Bakla(Bak-la:Baku-stone)] : A very common mineral in Eklato Bay. Used for making pavement and complicated structures*once wet*

Metals :
ʉۢ Orichalc : a metal that doesnt rust

Other:
ʉۢ Condensed Coral : ?
ʉۢ Klestron : Rubbery material used to cover buildings beneath and above surface
ʉۢ Quorka : long lived tortiouse looking creatures [possibly use shells as shield or even roofs of huts]

» Decorative Materials List «

Plants :
ʉۢ ??name?? : Glowing mushrooms from the 6th level fungi forest, used for light ambient at night or in caves

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 03:19:20 pm by minetus »

Haanz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Ghi'am-Ko
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 09:02:30 pm »
ok i want to get this farm right so i'll make a bunch of different models and then you guys have to tell me which ones you like the most. but i'm only going to make the main buildings. i'll leave out the farm itself because thats a pretty general model.
the Teakettle...

Arangol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 12:15:51 am »
Good morning all!
Today I don't have that much time working on my landscape but I think I'll do a bit work on my heightmap.
In a few hours you'll get a preview of the landscape, I promise.
Name could be something lik Garaghna/Irgon/Almon/Klyhria/WorkByMinetusHaanzRastandArangol?/Gerhana. Sry for the many names, but that's just me :D.
Hey and btw do you want the landscape to be thin like paper or it to be like a cube with the upper half the landscape? Thin or fat?
EDIT: Minetus I don't have access to upload stuff on those folders, I tried but the uploader didn't find you folders ??? :'( Something wrong here... And I have an account name Arangol
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:50:19 am by Arangol »
"The answer to all life's problems aren't on the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"-Homer Simpsons

Choose how the Klyros town will look like:
Klyros City Project
Klyros Names

Haanz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Ghi'am-Ko
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 02:26:10 am »
hahah ;D i like the fifth name arangol! very...original! not saying that the others aren't original. i like them all too! but i was thinking...perhaps the name shoudl relate to the river running through the town...or the shore and reef. y'know?... because alot of towns are named aftre their surroundings...but if we do name it after it's surroundings then we should use "ancient kylros names" not like ...Ghirn river town...sorry i don't think any towns are called "*something* river town"... ??? but anyways! i think the name should have to do with the towns enviroment... :D my two cents!
the Teakettle...

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 03:40:49 am »
Haanz, bravo, i think your idea about the name of town concerns river name is exelent! (My native town took it's old name from river on wich it stand on.) Now - you,ve got to find how river can be called, and what race called it so, and why, and....:) Without joking, river must be a River, not small river or stream, imho.
I remember one more way of creating city name. --New York, New Orlean, etc. So, may be your city was named in hohor of one of their main town they left in klyros motherland,( before they came to Yliakim).

I think the name must begins from..didnt find english equivalent of word... letter like E,Y,U,I,O,A...understand?
Analiz their way of living, physiology-->find the group of sounds they using more often. For example, i think they able to speak underwater---> sounds like MMM, NNNN, OOOO, ZZZZ...
Choose the klyros type/font. It could be usefull not only for better understanding klyros race, also in inscriptions in town.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 06:39:43 am by Inca Sator »

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 05:33:20 am »
g'mornin,
Arangol i tink you have to first go in your email and click the link for the folder, then (create a account or sign in), then on the folder view you have a button for uploading the files.
note: the uploader aplication only works for your own space/folders.
the map i believe it should be thin like paper, to count down unnessecery poly's, maybe Inca can awser that question better.

Inca's right on the city/river name thing, but there arent any references to klyro's homeworld, or any of theyr words, atleast that i know of.

edit: updated main post with coral research folder.
Research Corals, and some sea life
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 06:29:28 am by minetus »

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 07:20:48 am »
Hey, guys, i found more info about 6th level:-the forest of glowing fungi;
-canals and gondolas;
-level is full of houses.
May be your city can have many canals-streets (natural/artificial)--> many boats, bridges, dams. Glowing fungi can be usefull for lightig city (even if klyros have nightvision capability)

So, streets can be named like :Yellow brook, 1th Shark stream. (not street - stream). Hey, Italian, who were in Venice?

The map should be thin like paper, to count down unnessecery poly's. Yes.
Can't find any klyros words or names. Will try to ask other developers. In-game we have many klyros characters with names - can it be usefull, ha?

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 08:10:11 am »
added info about the 6th lvl to the main post, thanx inca.
"• swamp like atmosphere" <--- hope thats alright :D

about the names im really not good with it  :(
but those are nice examples :)

about the klyro's architecture.. since there is a coral reef in map, and mainland is swamp like flooded.. im tinking in a more organic kind of structures, 1 to 5 floor height (?? 35m ? max)
based on materials (corals, clay, light wood, bamboo, small stones, big shells(0.2m > 2m), big fish bones, fungi, squama(what is this?), algae ornaments, anything else? )

Haanz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Ghi'am-Ko
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 08:40:00 am »
ok i've been bottling up all this info in my head of my!  ::) so tonight 'fore i go to bed i'll try and sketch out a wicked farm! or a really tall...maybe leaning? building near the coast...that might be fun to do! and then tomorrow when i get back from school (my holidays are over :'() i'll start modelling!

and yea i've been to venice...but i i'm not sure thats the kind of look for going for?...i kind of had an organic swampy look in my head...but the idea of the canals is a really good one!

oh and 'member how kylros like shiny smooth things? well like minetus said, big shells! but you polish the inside and they get really shiny and smooth! hah sorry tha just popped in my head! well i have to go for now!
the Teakettle...

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 09:06:48 am »
One important thing, i presume. In PlaneShift we have underwater elves - Nolthrir race (check info on main site). I want to warn you from making/using similar forms/ideas already applyed to Nolthrir architecture style. (it's all about "big shells"- it can be, but it must quite differs from underwater architecture.)

Minetus, suggest to correct "Landscape 90000 poly's" to "Whole Location:~900000 poly's".

Arangol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 09:09:20 am »
Ok, I'm thinking of putting the "main" city on a platform who is up on some , erh, what's the word, poles, like this:

Is it ok for you, because it would give it a bit more japanese style and it would be easier to model with low polys.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 09:10:54 am by Arangol »
"The answer to all life's problems aren't on the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"-Homer Simpsons

Choose how the Klyros town will look like:
Klyros City Project
Klyros Names

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 09:20:52 am »
nice idea, though you would still have to model the ground underneath it. it would keep it out of the way of floods though. alternatively you could do individual buildings on "stilt pole things" with small platforms, instead of 1 massive platform.

i came up with an idea just now...
if we had one sheet where we could fill in the symols we use on our planeshift models, we could use eachothers and make the place seem more like a whole rather than individual areas made by individual people (did that make sense  ::|). i made a rough draft with a few ps looking symbols i use:

i admit its not the neatest table i've ever drawn but its just to show what i'm thiniking  :)
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 09:32:53 am »
hmm didnt tought about nolthirs :-X, i was tinking on the shells for roof's..
ok saw nolthir's sketch and definetly not like that :D nolthir's building is totally organic.. here's what im tinking..

buildings would look much like deformed tower's, the more important the owner the bigger it would be..
it would have some organic details, example(a shell wall here and there with some klyro incriptions, bone fish pole's decorating the out side, or has outside stairs, roofs made of small plain shells 0.2 > 0.3m)
• most stairs would be on the outside of buildings.

@arangol im gona flood the central south land area in the map* gona add 3-4 river branchs leading to the beach shore, some ponds and canals beetwin rivers. let me know if this ok with you.
yes i believe there will be alot of structures like that :D

@rast, sounds like a good idea :D