Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 1657 times)

theeccentric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
New guy here
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:54 pm »
Hellooo everyone nice to meet you all. Simply put im utterly new at rping. I have written stories, poems, all that jazz but never rped in this sense. I read the guide on the site, and I have to say pretty good. Buuut im still trying to figure out how to "start" this process. I was wondering if any of yall could give me a few examples you have of how one rp's? possibly some sort of description on a character ingame. Also two quick game questions since ive been doing a little research. One, since I dont hardly see any players on how would I find a friend or two? Two, im desperately wanting to rp some sort of character using both crystal and dark way, is this possible or do I absolutely have to join a "magic way circle" and be restricted in some way?

bloodedIrishman

Re: New guy here
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:11:09 pm »
What time do you play? As a bit of useful information, the American evening timezone has the highest roleplayer activity level.

Here is how you roleplay.

• Read planeshift.it settings.
  • Create a character. Here are good aspects to consider.

• Race & Clan
  • Birthplace
  • Culture
  • Religion
  • Vocation

Now you play that character according to the decisions you made. As you interact with player-characters and the world, this character will evolve. There are spaces that are in-character and others that are out of character. Separate these spaces and information in each as such, or you will engage in character bleed, which is poorly looked upon. This is a recipe for a fun time, where you get to explore a world within the perspective of a character you created, and see what happens.

Enjoy.

My character is Kull Rhundin, Boss of Blood Tria Syndicate. Send me a /tell in game.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:38 pm »
Welcome theeccentric!

For starters, I would say read the setting info about the game and races at this link if you have not done so already. This will give you a good feel for the planeshift fantasy world, the races, trades, magic system and so on. If you ask me, this is pretty important.

Next, I would say make a character as you would if writing a story. Try to at least have a rough idea of who and what the character is. A good starting place is to figure out what sort of role your character might play. For example, is he/she a tradesman, mage, criminal, healer, bard, etc.. is the character one who follows rules, one who breaks them as desired, or one who flat out rebels against all rules?

Some people prefer to just start playing and figure this out as they go.

Finding people online can be a little tricky if you are on at slow times, or if you are somewhere that people don't typically visit. The Town of Hydlaa is probably your best bet for finding people. People tend to hang around the forge, the tavern, or in the center of the plaza ( where the fountain is ) .

As for your question about crystal and dark way, they are opposing forces but sure, why not. You can train whichever skills you like, and the magical Orders can be joined at any time if you wish. Restrictions on which ways you train do not come into play until much later on in the game, so don't worry about that for now.

If you see me online ( typically as Rigwyn ), then send me a /tell. I'll be glad to introduce you to others or answer questions.  The gossip tab on the chat window is a good way to contact people who are logged in too.

As for how to RP, we generally just type a line that represents what our character is saying or doing at the moment. If you start your sentence with /me or /my  , then the line will show up as starting with theeccentric or theeccentric's  respectively.

I happen to have a sample from my logs here....

Rigwyn rubs his sore wrists as he hides beneath the cellar steps. His wrists and back are raw and bleeding. His breath is slow and silent. With his eyes well adjusted to the darkness, he listens as he looks upwards.

Evirea peers down below, squinting in order to see. "Hello again, Rigwyn," the klyros calls. "Hasn't been terribly long. Not really long enough in my book, honestly."

Sarras holds the door open for Evirea. She looks into the darkness, as if something seems a bit off. "He might be unconscious," she whispers.

Rigwyn feels his heart quickening as the door opens, and Evirea's voice calls down. Careful to control his breath, he waits under the stairs as the sound of his heart beat reverberates in his chest.

Evirea glances briefly back at the dermorian behind her, sighing softly. She then steps downwards, thumping one at a time, using her crutch for support as she goes. "I wouldn't attack me if I were you, Rigwyn," she calls simply. There's a rustling sound, and she pulls a small rod from her pocket, the top aglow with a single stone. She herself flinches slightly at the light it emits, disgruntled, before taking a seat on the stair. "So we can do this the easy way or the hard way. You can come up and hear what I have to say or you can stay down in that darkness, and wallow." She turns her head slightly and nods, indicating that Sarras should shut the door.

Sarras shakes her head to Evirea and takes a few steps into the cellar. "Is he not... Where is he? He should be tied!"

theeccentric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:06:44 am »
Both of you thank you, you really did help. This will definitely take some getting used to but I do believe im going to enjoy this. I'll hopefully see both of you in game and will /tell you when I get the chance.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:17:33 am »
Awesome.

Another good way to meet fellow role players is to chat on this forum, many of us hang around here.

theeccentric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:26:59 am »
In that case ill definitely have to become a bit more active on the forums then, ironically also a first for me.

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:22 am »
(theeccentric, perhaps you may also have a look here: http://194.116.72.94/pswiki/index.php?title=Player_Guide:_Arcane_Chrysalis#Roleplay )

theeccentric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:37:46 am »
Thank you Moja. I read it over, this really is quite the in depth experience im a bit surprised.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:46:05 am by theeccentric »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 01:46:55 am »
Role playing can be as immersive as a good movie or book, sometimes much more, since you are helping to create and influence the story as it happens. For this reason, we try to refrain from saying/doing things that would *break* this immersive experience. It really is fun once you get the hang of it and find players who play similarly.

theeccentric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 01:53:38 am »
Hmm in that case, what does one say when they need to pause from the computer for a moment or something along those lines so as not to break said experience?

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 01:58:48 am »
I know the problem at not finding anyone to RP with.... my usual problem :-(

theeccentric: try asking in gossip in game if anyone wants to RP with you. Sometimes it is possible to find someone to RP with that way. At least it's worth a try

And don't worry too much about not having a fully developed char (character/past wise). At least for me a lot of stuff was easier to figure out after I played my char a little. And no one is going to kill you just because you didn't finish to develop your char yet ;-)

Hmm in that case, what does one say when they need to pause from the computer for a moment or something along those lines so as not to break said experience?

Just say that you have to be afk. Don't forget to put OOC (out of character) stuff between brackets. People tend to get really annoyed if OOC stuff is not put between brackets.

theeccentric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:56 am »
Ill have to give that a whirl then thx. I was wondering about that, I do believe ill do the same. Understood thank you.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:05:07 am »
You can do it in several ways. One is to put what you are saying in [ brackets ]. This indicates that these words are from you, the player, and not from your character's mouth.

Another is to send the other player/players in question a /tell
ie.  /tell someOtherPlayer [ Yo, need to jump for 10 mins ]

What you say with /tell will show up in the "Whisper" tab.

If you are close to someone and you use /tell, then you might want to use brackets too in order to emphasize that what you are saying is clearly your words (OOC) and not your characters (IC)

If you are far away from the other character ( far enough that a whisper could not be heard by them only) , then it should be *implied* that what you say in /tell is obviously not IC text ( your character's words )

It's good practice when whispering, to show that you are whispering.
Code: [Select]
/me leans towards Jillata and whispers something.
Jillata leans closer.
/tell Jillata I stuck something under the table. Check it after I leave.

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 02:14:16 am »
Hello and welcome theeccentric !

(...) Two, im desperately wanting to rp some sort of character using both crystal and dark way, is this possible or do I absolutely have to join a "magic way circle" and be restricted in some way?

Basicaly you can play whatever you like. It just have to be in the frame of PS settings.
IC = You are not obliged to join the Way Circles to practice magic. The only thing is that "physically", Dark and Crystal way are two complete opposed ways. Therefor Mastering both of those ways can be dangerous for your character. Practising Crystal Magic can inder your power to practice Dark Way magic and vice versa. A Dark Way mage that practice high Crystal Way magic can be hurt physically and struggle to cast any of those.
This doesn't stop your char to choose to do it still and "practice" researches about it.
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 02:39:10 am »
To know the most frequented times, check the Stats page of the current game server.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty