Author Topic: Small beginnings - questions about very basic game mechanics  (Read 785 times)

John Barleycorn

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Small beginnings - questions about very basic game mechanics
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:43:27 pm »
Hello!

Accidentally started to ask about this in a different section of the forums, one aimed at solving problems before logging into the game proper.
Currently figuring out how to move to target/attack and loot without too much clicking. I am at a keyboard a lot during the day and it's always nice when a game can have less clicks. At the moment I move, click to see options, click attack option, click to see options again and select looting, in loot interface I then click once for each item present. I went back here to search for optional ways to configure this in a manner that I automatically move up to mob and attack and subsequently loot the lot alternatively click to loot but only once.

In other words, it seems like very many clicks for a simple activity and I wonder if these can be reduced somehow.

Equally basic - casting a spell:
I had no trouble finding the different bits needed via the information given in the game tutorial but in the end I still had to open the Spell Book and click the spell from there over and over (yes, I took the cue from the NPC and used a Freeze spell on the poor little one-eyed rats near the fighting NPC).

I suspect I'm missing some very basic knowledge such as options to have a variety of options somehow quickslotted and assigning skills and actions to specific keys.

Moving up to a mob (still the poor one-eyed rats) tends to leave me not facing the mob or not being close enough for an action. I move again and it feels very clunky, slow and awkward. Note that I've playtested mixed games of the general type role-playing and multiplayer to some extent since around 1998 but that I'm also a lazy bum and fairly ignorant about many mechanics that must be second nature to others! I'm confident that the game has an option to move to target/attack/loot/change target simplified in a manner that requires less clicking and that I simply didn't spot it.

The bit with the spell in spell book worries me too, as I see no way to opt to cast a spell without keeping that pop-up spell interface open and use it from there Oh and those dastardly tough rats seem to ignore my starter Blue spell altogether!

I'm happy for any pointers - perhaps there is a nice link to information such as this (if my search-fu failed me, which it often does) or if someone superhumanly patient happens to stop by forums and this section and can explain a bit.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Small beginnings - questions about very basic game mechanics
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:59:11 pm »
First things first, you can make short cuts to do pretty much anything you want.

The best way to make short cuts for spells is to 'unlock' the short cut window. Then open the spell book. Then click on a spell you want a short cut for, then click on the spell icon and then drop it onto an empty short cut. From there you can assign a key, or just just click the shortcut button. (to edit a short cut you can right click it, and if you cant see the shortcut window you need to right click on the blue crystal in the top left corner of the screen to expand the tool bar and then click the icon for the short cut window.)

I'm not sure how well mouse move works but you can set that up in the options window.

For attacking you can open a short cut and add the following, or something similar. (each line beginning with a / goes on a new line in the shortcut edit window)

/target clear
/target nearest npc
/attack bloody

you of course with this need to run up to the npc you want to attack. I've also used.

/target clear
/target any
/attack bloody

When it comes to looting you can use

/loot all

this needs the dead npc slected, or you can add a select command to it as well.

I suggest you open up the 'help' window from in game and read about all the different commands which are available. And if you ask in the gossip channel you will find lots of help, to show more chat tabs go to the options window and find the chat - tabs options and tick the boxes of the tabs you want to show.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:16:37 pm by Venalan »

John Barleycorn

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Small beginnings - questions about very basic game mechanics
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:25:40 pm »
In short: Thank you!