Author Topic: Is there any endgame content for this game?  (Read 2254 times)

PanDeMur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Is there any endgame content for this game?
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:54:03 pm »
Ive started playing a few months ago and i'm enjoying this so far, i've been grinding for the most part though.

i was wondering however if there is an actual reason to grind? is there any dungeons/raids like other MMOs have? any bosses that require a group to take on? PvP?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any endgame content for this game?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:31:34 pm »
To my knowledge, PS has no true dungeons or raids. However, I believe there are some boss level mobs hidden in out of the way places that require a group to take down. I think the lava monster may be one such mob, but I can't say for sure. Combat was never really my thing.

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:48 pm »
Yes there are several bosses or stronger mobs that will require skills or groups to take them down.
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

PanDeMur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:56:31 pm »
To my knowledge, PS has no true dungeons or raids. However, I believe there are some boss level mobs hidden in out of the way places that require a group to take down. I think the lava monster may be one such mob, but I can't say for sure. Combat was never really my thing.

Is there any documentation on such mobs?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 03:14:59 pm »
No, not to my knowledge. However, I believe exploring caves may lead to finding some. There's a cave system down in Shindrok's Crater.... if you survive the ascent up and the descent down into the crater.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 04:04:04 pm »
There's absolutely no reason to grind, except:
- Achieving a sense of self-contentness through multiple achievements
- Maxing out every single profession to be learnt (read: actually implemented and not just for shows *coughpotterycoughmasonrycough*)
- Becoming very skilled at magic/dueling/exploring
- Charting every map, city, sewer system and cave available
- Becoming the richest player

Or, you know, you could realize PlaneShift is not your usual comercial MMO (at least one of those M's is a lie) and assume there is no endgame other than your character actually dying definitively by means of roleplay.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 04:18:01 pm »
While I wouldn't put it that way :P, Mishka is right. This isn't like most MMOs, you don't have to grind. I stopped grinding in PS after my first character. I didn't train most of my characters at all.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 04:36:08 pm »
I am assuming that PanDeMur means the kind of gaming action that is designed for players with maxed characters. The short answerer is no. There might be one or two bosses now, but that's about it, and by boss, I mean something that a few players can take down in a short period of time. ( The last time I played, there really wasn't anything like this )

With PS, leveling is a little different. You don't need to max everything, rather you pick and choose which areas you wish to specialize in. There are no classes, so what you train is what you become strong in. As for end content, there may be some players around still who like to duel (pvp), but that's about it.

I think they want to add content like this to the game, but it will take time to develop it.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 05:07:39 pm »
Maybe they could add those randomly generated dungeons they used to talk about, some day, but it would be hard to make a true endgame. PS is designed around RP not raiding, so there's no real "end" to get to. There was never a real plan for an end either.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 05:43:23 pm »
PS is designed around RP not raiding,

I'm not so sure about that. How many developers do you know of here who are interested in role playing? They call it a "role playing" game, but I don't think their definition of it is quite the same as ours. The genre itself is called RPG, and I think that's really what they are talking about when they say it's a role playing game.

"End user content" is content (dungeons, raids, battle grounds, matches)  designed for fully leveled players. It gives them a reason to stick around and makes it worth it to level up in the first place. It's the part that you "do" once you have finished training. PlaneShift is still missing the "part that you do" once you are finished training. You train and and then you are like, "lol... now wut." This is why we end up roleplaying in PlaneShift - because there is nothing to do but train for nothing.

The way WoW does it, is they make it so that you can level a character in a month to a few ( depending on how fast you are ), then let you progress much farther by winning progressively better gear while playing the end game content. ( ie dungeons, raids, battle grounds ). With each expansion, the time it takes to grind from zero to max increases, so they make it possible to "buy in" at a high level so that you can play the expansion pack only. This last part creates new problems too - like devaluing everything you worked for... blah blah blah..

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 05:55:07 pm »
I was specifically talking about PS not RPGs or MMOs in general.

PS was stated, by Talad, to be a game for Roleplayers. It so happens that it that gives you other things to do. Now I have seen Talad RP, so I will concede that maybe he has a different definition than some. I will also concede the game's RP focus is really blurry. Nevertheless it is still a game that has mechanics centered around roleplaying. This is why we have chat logging instead of raids whereas it's the other way around in most MMOs.

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 01:51:35 pm »
I'd just like to give a different opinion, though I agree to the idea that grinding skills doesn't make much sense in PlaneShift.
Grinding without doing anything at the same time doesn't make sense to my eyes. But I don't mind doing it and doing something else at the same time (e.g. listening to music, chatting, etc).
Thus, if my IG level in a job doesn't reach the level my character is ICly supposed to have, I continue to train. I guess some people will find it stupid or useless. Now, it feels more honest. And I have real projects at the same time, such as an event which should happen between the 22d and the 30th of October.
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
From all this talk I've gathered just one thing:

PlaneShift
Real Life Simulator, now with more cat girls!

Don't tell me it doesn't have a nice ring to it. Also, I'm framing this:
[...] Mishka is right.
I bet this won't happen ever again.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 06:25:33 am »
IMO grinding is more like matter of principle than actually trying gain something but ofc there is other reasons too.
As to endgame content, yes there is  bosses but you dont need so high levels to solo them (*cough* potions *cough* magic). As to other things, well you can of course RP that you have those skills, i guess thats pretty much it.

Vaneal Serozen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 09:36:47 am »
Ive started playing a few months ago and i'm enjoying this so far, i've been grinding for the most part though.

i was wondering however if there is an actual reason to grind? is there any dungeons/raids like other MMOs have? any bosses that require a group to take on? PvP?

Hello and Welcome to Planeshift.  Not certain if you are still looking for answers or even if you are still playing but thought I would at least try to give you a bit more insight into the game and what if any advantages there are to grinding up skills and stats.

PS, like others have already said, is not your typical mmorpg.  We do have some pretty tough bosses that you can take on and it is advisable to do so with a group.  Last I knew the toughest one was a decent challenge though it is bugy but it will be a while before you are ready to face him so I wouldn't worry about that.  All my knowledge of that is second hand as I've yet to try it myself.  A good number of the bosses are something one very advanced player can take down but that all depends on said players skill set.

A big thing is the freedom to explore.  If you want to go into all the deep dark places and live to tell about it, then you are going to need some way of mitigating damage and neutralizing threats.  Potions are only going to buy you time.  There are not many aggressive enemies in PS at this time but the ones that are will generally be a much tougher than a normal enemy of their type.

(EDIT: Left some stuff out.  Aggressive enemies are becoming more common and are not always a lot tougher than their respective type.  Whether an aggressive enemy attacks and how they attack you is dependent on how strong your character is relative to the specific enemy.  If you are significantly weaker then the enemy, it will attack you in a aggressive or bloody stance that will allow them to do more damage to you but take a lot more themselves.  If you are stronger then them, they will attack in a normal or defensive stance to reduce incoming damage while still being able to dish it out pretty well.  Unlike most mmorpgs enemies in PS will chase you for a long distance or until they become stuck on something or are no longer able to target you, like when you go through a load point.  This might have changed so they might have a maximum distance.) 

PVP, one of my favorite topics, not what it once was in ps.  Due to some recent additions to the game the damage and defensive system is a little lopsided and a general lack of pvp zones that are big enough to contain fights or any incentive to even be in them.  We used to have a VERY popular pvp zone with gladiators in it that you could kill for the best loot in game but the gladiators were removed.  Now that pvp zone is empty and very neglected.  There are other pvp zones but they really do not compare.  A new damage system is being developed and that should fix some of the problems.  As to a reborn pvp zone,  That remains to be seen.

RP reasons, some players like to rp as a warrior and not have any skills to back it.  That is completely up to the player to decide. Personally, I don't want to walk around acting like a tough guy and then been seen running away from a diseased rat.... it just looks wrong in my honest opinion and so I have invested in my characters skills and stats to better fit him.

Hope this helped you or any other new player with the same question browsing the forums.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:41:21 pm by Vaneal Serozen »