Author Topic: Open Minded  (Read 1003 times)

Elder

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Open Minded
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:31 am »
Good Evening,

I am brand new to this game. I have a lot of experience in MMORPGs with a lot of hours playing RPGs in general. Last year I met someone who played table-top games and I listened for the first time with an open mind. I've never played one or been friends with anyone who played them. It's interesting to me that I read about this game after being away from video games for about eight years and then finding out that it's oriented for a background in those games.

So far I like the gameplay a lot. It brought up a lot of my opinions on directions other games went a long time ago, that I supported at the time, in which in which I now disapprove. Yesterday I did the tutorial on purifying a red way glyph. I casted it a few times. I spent some time trying to figure out how to get the spell onto a UI bar and gave up and went to bed.  Today, I figured it out and hotkeyed it. I realized then that I can't click on another target without my spell being interrupted. A habit, knowing I was going to one shot it or finish it off with a killing blow, that somehow was immediately alive even with so many years offline and unplugged. I love that I can't click on another target without it interrupting the current cast. I'm learning how to play the game. I have nothing critical about the mindset or sense of urgency to take shortcuts in gaining control proficiency.

I guested a couple of months in Cataclysm in Warcraft and did the first two tiers. That was very different from being a growing player making new relationships and really trying to scan all of the content I could play and be a part of. My favorite players quit during WotLK and that's when I did too. When I was more devoted to Warcraft and other games I would probably push and support a feature as a caster for the targeting system to change. I've grown to realize that my friends and I enjoyed a game that wasn't about that. We didn't RP but we definitely supported a game that you could, without me even realizing it.

In Tier 4 my margin as a mage became about two fireballs per minute. 1490 dps for a good entry player vs. 1550dps for a great player at an entry gear level was basically the model. In the the original game, the margin was much larger and how you could think about damage was different. Looking at the meters for a period of time over encounters from the first hallway of trash to the end-boss, DD or Damage Dealt was significant about who was playing. The tank in general, not thought of much as a dps player, was always very high up in damage done. When the game became about fine dps margins bosses no longer felt like bosses and the architecture and details, while graphically and artistically more refined, became dull. I can reflect on the stories of the entire game content now in a deep way. I can also remember the differences in the moment though clear enough.

I'm very moved by PvE RP content. When I write stories for fun they second naturally take on the questline format because of how much I enjoyed them. I don't feel like it's a second class of roleplaying because still unlike a movie they are saying my name. I'm drawn to the same characteristics of my character's development because of my own character development. After all of the experience in the games I've played, with people I've played with, I truly believe those two subjects are connected much deeper than a pun. I'm not specifically interested in role-playing in the social sense. I just wanted to introduce myself and be honest that I do have an open mind to it. I'm happy to be here and am enjoying everything so far

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Open Minded
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:36:56 am »
Welcome to the community, and thank you for your feedback! \\o//

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:11:50 am »
Welcome to the game!

Whenever you are in trouble, ask around, IC or OOC. There is also the Help channel for questions about game mechanics, like your shortcut problem.
You might also wish to share some of your stories in the forums, or write some new ones that are more specific to PlaneShift.

Travel safely,

Gonger

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:43:39 am »
Hah.  If only we could chat and discuss ideas on the future of the RPG.  Unfortunately, I keep most of my better ideas to myself for now.
Temporarily contrary to a free and unfettered continuum for musical arts, I admit, but I do have my reasons.

I like your assessment of WoW Cata, cursory though it was.  Most of that I've considered too, in some ways.  Some aspects of it seemed to be clinging to the delusion that it was yet a traditional RPG in the vein of DnD — from which it stole borrowed heavily, as you would agree, — but other aspects of it continued to lose all those nuances and variations which were becoming superfluous to its optimal pathways.
It was a money–garnering engine, and little more.

Perhaps Gedundk will encounter your avatar one of these days.  I don't get on much, though.
When I do, Gedundk is reserved and not all too outgoing, but if you do start a conversation with krad, you may learn some interesting things.
Kra is mostly busy these days with develping kras skills in the Ways — initially in Crystal and Brown, but now veering to the Dark — and with gathering ores in the hopes that kra can become a decent metalsmith.
Also, because ores are delicious.

O--) Question:  What is a kran's favorite cookie?
;D
An ore-o. :whistling:

What is a nolthrir's favorite cookie?
A hydrox…
:innocent:
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Elder

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »

You might also wish to share some of your stories in the forums, or write some new ones that are more specific to PlaneShift.

I am trying to learn the lore and would appreciate suggestions on picking up Planeshift in that sense. I looked at the history page and read a few epochs. I've started to digest the general information on the setting. Writing is enjoyable to me because I love any peaceful moment that I get to let my mind live in lore.

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:10 pm »
Ah, yes. Lore. :love:

For out of game, I recommend you check out the PlaneShift wiki, and scour these pages from the main site: Setting Overview, Races, and of course History.

For in game, I recommend going to Jayose's Library in East Hydlaa, the Hospital in Amdeneir, Londris's library in the Death Realm citadel, and even the books in the Amdeneir, Ojaveda, and Gugrontid taverns (The Parting Ways, Th' Broken Doors, and the Stonehead, respectively). Once in those locations, devour every single book you can get your hands/eyes on. Bookshelves may need to be right-clicked on, the eye icon pressed (as though looking into any other container, or reading something's/someone's description), and the desired book selected with another right-click to open it and read. These bookshelves sometimes aren't too obvious, at least in Jayose's library, and a little clicking around may have to be done -- not that it's too large of a place.

Another way to get lore is to do quests, of course, though those tend to be more subtle and very naturally can end up taking more time to get a little bit of lore, while as the main site, wiki, and in game books can give you a bit more with a little less effort. Of course, how could I forget? Sometimes you'll even learn some lore from other players! ;D

Edit:
Also in game is a little library in Levrus's magic shop out Hydlaa's North Gates. It's a little more out of the way than all the others I listed, but I think it's got a unique book or two there, so it could very well be worth it.

Hope this all helps!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:44:55 am by Tidebringer »
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Elder

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 11:32:30 pm »
Do vre