Author Topic: Quest helpers  (Read 418 times)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Quest helpers
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:01:26 pm »
Hi everyone,

So I wanted to let you all know about a quest helper system I'm in the middle of making. The quest chains we have now function well, and we have tried to make it as easy as possible to pass along the main chains without having to search for the next quest blindly. This was done by adding dialogue at the end of quests suggesting which NPC to see next. If some of these dialogues are not clear please let us know so we can fix them, we get some comments about this which we improve but without being told what could be better we can't make it better.

However, recently a comment was made by a player that it may actually be finding starter quests that could be hard for a new player to do and therefore put them off PlaneShift. A few weeks earlier I had started planning a system where players could be pointed towards open quests to help them find new quests. So I've done two things. The first is I've added a book on the noticeboard in the tutorial which tells players who the NPCs are that start the main chains for all the factions/associations which should help get new players started. This is similar to the welcome letter players are given but is much more succinct and direct and is about as easy as possible to get them started. This I hope should make it easier to get stuck into PlaneShift and then hopefully a few more players might stick around.

The second is my idea to make barkeeps a central point of gossip (and quests) in a city. Once the system is complete you will be able to go to Alleia, Belcor, Jarda or Brado (I'm also thinking about making someone equivalent do this at the fortress) and ask them to tell you about gossip and they will respond with dialogue designed to point you towards an open quest.

Now, this dialogue WILL NOT be the holy grail of quest info. I want it to be useful, but also as IC as I can make it. It will point you to most but NOT ALL quests. For example, Way quests will not be pointed to, thieve/baddie/sewer quests will not be pointed to, quests outside of cities will not be pointed to, and not every quests in a city will be pointed to. The idea I have for this system is that it is designed to help new players get into PlaneShift, and it will also benefit infrequent players by helping them find quests quickly when they do play by giving them help finding possible quests. It is not designed to help players find every possible quest from every possible NPC, so there will still be plenty of times when help from other players or just asking NPCs will reveal quests.

I hope you all think this idea will prove as useful and will improve playability as much as I do.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Quest helpers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:15:12 pm »
i'm going to second this one.

i've been out of the game long enough that i would need something like this to reorient myself. i used to know where most of the quests were. though that was about 3 versions ago.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:06:48 am »
IMHO certainly interesting enough to try. I hope it will find use and acceptance.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 03:00:36 pm »
This sounds like a nice improvemnt. Good luck with it.

Regarding ease of questing, you guys should try out the questing system on WoW. Youu can play for free up to lv 20 per character which gives plenty of time to see how they do it. I don't mean this as a slight or anything, but they really nailed the questing system. Their quests are easy to find, and reading them is optional for those who want to whip through to level up faster.

What ps lack in questing in comparison to WoW (in my view) is:

- visibility of available quests ( they mark these on the map )
- visibility of quests ready for completion ( these too are marked on the mapp)
- hidden quests ( initiated by using an item)

I know ps doesn't want to be a wow knockoff, but it doesn't hurt to see what more. Successful games are doing right and then try to do the same or similar.

Zerxzz

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »
Regarding ease of questing, you guys should try out the questing system on WoW.

I don't think that is suitable for a game like this because the OOC quest markers can diminish the roleplay atmosphere.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:20:25 pm by Zerxzz »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 08:03:15 am »
i think we can file it as an Acceptable Break from Reality.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.