Author Topic: Make Selling Books Worth 0 Tria  (Read 202 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Make Selling Books Worth 0 Tria
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »
If you make it so selling already used books doesn't give any money, players would have no incentive to take down other people's posted books or steal stuff out of mailboxes.  The character might have other reasons for digging through someone else's mail or tearing down posted stuff, but at least this would prevent people from taking stuff down for no reason.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Make Selling Books Worth 0 Tria
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:40:55 am »
I doubt it is the price which makes noobs pick up books. They take what can be taken. They would even pick up Piles of Dust if it wasn't so obviously useless.

And what are "mail boxes"? Using crates with an available inventory to share items?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:46:28 am »
In Ojaveda there was a crate placed up on a wall with a note on it that said something link "Ojaveda Mail Box: Leave your message in here or email it to [something]@gmail.com for delivery.  The latter is preferred so nobody steals your message.  Be sure to include the recipients name.  Sender's signature is optional."

If you can't make any money from selling back books, I think it would reduce the amount of books stolen at least to some extent.  Or, introduce a letter item that acts just like a book but isn't worth anything.

And yeah noobs might take a couple at first, but I would like to think that when they find out that the books have no use to them, and that they're being a douche by taking other people's stuff, they would stop.

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »
If they don't realize they are being a douche to pick up something, the price tag will certainly not change that.

On a separate note, things just left laying about unguarded are are like the coins you find as you walk across a parking lot. You pick them up if it interests you. If not, you walk by and someone else will pick it up later. No one sees that as stealing. If we happen to see that coin fall from a persons pocket, most of us rush over and let that person know they are dropping stuff. I have experienced this behavior in-game. Someone just yesterday apologized for picking up a sack that was not mine and they thought it was. I left it where it lie because I didn't need or want it. The value of the sack was irrelevant.

I think if the goal is to stop folks from taking down bullentin board items, we need to come up with a different way than reducing it's value to zero as a deterrent. Some players might like to actually write and sell books in-game and making them worth zero kinda defeats that purpose.

Why not just leave the item guarded? I have planted flowers in the secret garden and come back to the game a day or so later to find that I was still guarding them. Doesn't that do what you want? Or is there some point where the guard falls off an item?

Estaga

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »
I'm bringing this up now because of the new mailbox system.  Leaving stuff guarded defeats the whole point of using the mailbox, since the idea is that someone else is supposed to come pick it up and deliver it. 

And making player written books worth 0 doesn't defeat the point, because the value of the book when selling it to other players depends on its content, not its NPC trade value.  Today at the market someone was selling maps for 1000 tria.  It wouldn't have mattered if the sale price of the map was 56 or 0 tria, the value of the map to players is based on its content.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:03:26 am »
If you need a book fixed as description, write a petition to meet a Game Master. I hope they will agree that this case is supportable.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:32:20 am »
Sorry tman, I misunderstood your intent. You make valid points.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:08 pm »
Not gonna like, bookstealing ticks me off

:D
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell