Author Topic: Reduce Dakkru's Curse for Dark Way Mages  (Read 198 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Reduce Dakkru's Curse for Dark Way Mages
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:51:34 pm »
Personally I think it's really annoying that I have to suffer Dakkru's curse for a half hour every time I want to train Dark Way up a level.  If my character dies on purpose for the sake of studying Dark Way magic or doing a Dark Way quest, I don't see why he/she/kra has to suffer the same as someone who "fell" off the Bronze Doors or got eaten by a tefusang.  After all, Dakkru should be pleased.  Originally, my idea was that everyone with enough Dark Way skill should see a reduction in Dakkru's curse, but this has too much potential for abuse.  What would really help is a way to distinguish who dies for the sake of Dark Way training, and who dies legitimately (or as a means of fast travel).

Idea 1:
Have the game track what your Dark Way skill level was the last time you died.  If it has gone up since then, have the severity or duration of Dakkru's curse reduced.

Idea 2:
When you receive training in the death realm, have the trainer cast some kind of curse resistance spell on you that partially resists or negates Dakkru's curse.

Idea 3:
Introduce a new Dark Way suicide spell that kills the character, but reduces Dakkru's curse when he/she/kra comes back to life.  Ideally, the spell should only be able to be cast when the character has full health and magic, to prevent people from using it during a fight in which they would die anyway.  Alternatively, make it have a really long cast time so that it would be impractical to cast while fighting or falling.  If possible, make it so that when the player comes back, he/she/kra returns to the location the spell was cast rather than Hydlaa, to prevent fast-travel abuse.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce Dakkru's Curse for Dark Way Mages
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:21:00 am »
as a devout Dakkruist, i feel the connection between Dakkru/Death Realm and Dark Way isn't even necessary. Why not just establish DW trainers in the Living Realm?

There are plenty of characters who practice DW but aren't Dakkruists, and plenty of Dakkruists who don't practice DW. If anyone should be getting relief from the curse, it should be those who follow Dakkru's faith.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:41:37 am »
Dakkru's Curse is not directly related to the dark way but more related to Drakkru herself. So the study of dark way won't necessarily lead to a good outstanding with the goddess.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »
Precisely. Despite your 'belief system', one will always receive the curse because it is Dakkru's price for passing through her realm.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »
Well then can we please move the Dark Way trainer out of the death realm? I'm getting sick of spending a half hour with no combat ability and no carry weight every time I want to go up a level.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:14:16 pm »
If people find they are in need of more PPs then fighting while cursed is a way to increase the number of PPs earned. Or course what you can fight while cursed depends on your stats but it is one advantage of having the curse some people make good use of.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:01:59 pm »
Personally I find that having some DW trainers in the death realms is a good feature that makes learning dark way a unique skill in game. It may also open up many RP opportunity if one want to catch them. imo having *all* the trainers outside the DR would steal so much from the skill uniqueness.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:50:51 am »
If people find they are in need of more PPs then fighting while cursed is a way to increase the number of PPs earned. Or course what you can fight while cursed depends on your stats but it is one advantage of having the curse some people make good use of.

Well considering when cursed my char has ~10 mana, killing anything bigger than a clacker is a loooooong fruitless ordeal.

But, I can see this probably won't change, so I came up with my own solution: carry a backpack full of mana potions with me when I die and kill wrathrats to raise 3-4 levels at a time.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »
See sir, that is thinking ahead!
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell