Author Topic: Area Just Outside Hydlaa's Gate  (Read 255 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Area Just Outside Hydlaa's Gate
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:54 pm »
The roads just outside Hydlaa's gates seem really out of place and unfinished.  It's just empty space with invisible walls on either side of the road.  The gate to the magic shop isn't all that bad but the Oja gate is pretty bad.

As a way to make this area look better and less out of place, what if the invisible wall were replaced with a wooden fence, and behind the fence some farmland?  It would look nicer and help explain how everyone in Hydlaa manages not to starve, despite the apparent lack of food sources.  In order to take up minimal resources the plants could be done like the trees in the magic shop road.  Another option would be rows of the kingsfoil or clackerweed 3d model (going over a small hill and out of sight, so it doesn't have to be that big).
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Area Just Outside Hydlaa's Gate
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:06:41 am »
These areas don't have much detail to keep a low polycount mostly, Its quite obvious from many spots after all, the area around Hydlaa is totally empty. I don't think its going to remain like this, sooner or  later we should upgrade the scenery of the game in general. Thing is, we are still limited from the engine and can't go all out adding things everywhere. If we added extra detail outside Hydlaa's gate perhaps it wouldn't matter too much, if we kept those things to be seen from Hydlaa's level though (on the map inside the city) it could result to some heavy lag.
In any case, a visual upgrade to the world should come, sooner or later.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:12:32 am »
If it's done like the trees by the magic shop it wouldn't increase the polycount by any significant amount, just a big box shape with a texture on the top and sides.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:19:43 pm »
That forrest used to actually go to ojaveda before, and i miss that outside road from the 0.3 days, sorta lagy but very nice.

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:46 pm »
with treasure dropping rogues, get in line boys, this one is mine!

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:04:26 pm »
HAH i remember that one  ;D

cormah

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:59 pm »
I really like this idea, I think the visuals have improved greatly in the past while but I have to agree the path does look quite disjointed.