Author Topic: Harvesting Time  (Read 280 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Harvesting Time
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:13 pm »
So, I know I mentioned this before because harvesting was nearly impossible to raise, but that problem is solved now that you get practice even when you fail.  So that's good.  It's easy to level up harvesting fairly quickly.

The problem that remains, however, is the fact that it still takes a LONG time to actually gather the plants you need.  From what I can tell, the time it takes to complete one act of /harvest and one act of /dig are roughly the same.  This is problematic for a few reasons:
  • It just straight up doesn't make sense.  Mining involves breaking rocks and extracting ores.  Harvesting involves picking berries, cutting leaves, and sometimes digging up roots from the dirt.  Mining should be both more difficult and more time consuming.
  • Mining products are many times more valuable than harvesting products.  Ores can sell for hundreds or thousands of tria.
  • Herbal recipes (in particular, the wragberry, gobo, and lavender oils) require many pieces.  A single stack of gobo oil requires a stack of gobo root and five stacks of wragberries.  These take forever to harvest.

One solution would be making each attempt take half as much time, and give half as much practice.  That way, the rate of leveling up stays the same, but you get twice as many chances to receive the plant you want.

Edit:  This was not a problem before, because you used to be able to pick up all the plant parts you need.  With the reduced drop rates, harvesting is now necessary.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Rucan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Harvesting Time
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:25 am »
One solution might be to adjust the time required to level. Changing the graphic for dig vs. harvest might be a bit harder.

Shafaragorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:08:15 am »
If you switch between harvesting and picking things up, it does go faster than mining, and keeps it from getting too monotonous. And, I could see harvesting some plants as taking time, for example, roots. But for things like picking berries or flower heads, it may take a bit longer than necessary at the moment when compared to other tasks. Just my two cents  :)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:10 am »
One solution might be to adjust the time required to level. Changing the graphic for dig vs. harvest might be a bit harder.

Actually it's rather the opposite. we just need to change the amount of seconds required for each harvesting point.

One solution would be making each attempt take half as much time, and give half as much practice.  That way, the rate of leveling up stays the same, but you get twice as many chances to receive the plant you want.

we can consider lowering the time a few, especially for the plants which are considerably less valuable than iron ore.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:33:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Eonwind!
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.