Author Topic: GM Lockbreaker Event  (Read 351 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
GM Lockbreaker Event
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:19:06 am »
So, from what I understand, the game currently has a whole bunch of locked chests but no way to unlock them.  So, if lockpicking is a long way off, it would be cool if there was some other way for people to open their chests.

I know GMs sometimes show up as merchants to sell or auction items that can't normally be purchased by players.  What about an outlaw GM hiding out in the sewers or in Oja or something, who will unlock a player's locked chests for a fee?  There could be a limit of one chest per person, or require each player to perform some task per chest, or something along those lines, to prevent a huge line or overcrowding.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: GM Lockbreaker Event
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:00:50 am »
You might remember from many implemented skills before: Everything can already be rather complete and "latent", you are just missing access to the training of this skill, so only a GM/Dev is able to test it, simply by being able to set his character's own skill level.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:22 am »
So, from what I understand, the game currently has a whole bunch of locked chests but no way to unlock them.  So, if lockpicking is a long way off, it would be cool if there was some other way for people to open their chests.

I know GMs sometimes show up as merchants to sell or auction items that can't normally be purchased by players.  What about an outlaw GM hiding out in the sewers or in Oja or something, who will unlock a player's locked chests for a fee?  There could be a limit of one chest per person, or require each player to perform some task per chest, or something along those lines, to prevent a huge line or overcrowding.

No, this is a bad idea.

The problem is lockpicking practice gain resulted to be easily exploitable, a patch has been released in SVN and tested in testing server a few days after the release but for the same reasons holding the client update nowadays it wasn't possible to release the patch. So I'm sorry but it's necessary to wait until the update will happen.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:03:20 pm »
I'm siding with Eonwind on this one.

What good is it to only be able to lockpick once a month, when a GM is available to do the event? Besides, I'm picturing a large line of players holding chests and wanting to get them 'picked', in the sewers or something like that. It would be messy, and complicated. better to simply wait for the update, and have a balanced(tm) version of it out there.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
Maybe instead they could reset the chests to not have locks as they previously were. The only reason they got locked in the first place was that lock picking was being released. Seems like it could be done simply enough with a db tweak but I don't know that, for sure. Unless the lock pick fix is immanent....

Sarko

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »
It's already been fixed Bibous. pending release...
Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:36:39 pm »
Indeed but release could be a year away. that is a whole lot of stored chests.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:05:18 pm »
Indeed but release could be a year away. that is a whole lot of stored chests.

Exactly.  I have several dozen in my storage and I've only been collecting them for a couple days.  I'm sure there are people with hundreds.

And, from what I understand, it hasn't been released yet because of compiling errors?  So, there's no way of knowing when it'll be fixed.

Edit:  Also, I'm not envisioning giving a chest to someone, waiting there while they lockpick it, and then them giving it back.  That would take forever.  I'm picturing people trading the GM a chest and some predefined fee (1000 tria or something) and they trade back a chest of the same type but without a lock.  This would go much faster and keep the line moving.  GMs can spawn and delete items at will, right?

Also, I imagine the lines would be smaller when you consider that some people are purposely stocking up locked chests to raise their lockpicking when its released, not necessarily for what is inside.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:13:48 pm by tman »
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.