Author Topic: What Do Enchanted Gems Taste Like?  (Read 1398 times)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: What Do Enchanted Gems Taste Like?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 06:36:33 pm »
Well the thing is, Kran probably don't often eat "people food" and when they do they probably have a much different experience than the carbon races.

When they do they get an indigestion.  ;)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 07:09:00 pm »
Good and bad are judgments.

Yeah, but so is everything when you're talking about food taste.  Unless you're saying "this meat tastes meaty" which is a tautology.

Sweet would mean sugary, which would be meaningless to a kran.

Actually no.  People experience "sweet" taste because of special neurons on the tongue which respond to certain "sweet-tasting" chemicals.  Sugar is just one.  There are many many more (which is part of why there are so many diet sodas.  They use different sweet-tasting chemicals to replace the sugar, making a zero calorie sweet beverage.)

It's possible Kran have sweet and savory receptors on their tongue, but they respond to different things.  Gems might activate "sweet" receptors, metals might activate savory receptors, etc.

Of course there's no way to know this unless someone in Settings tells us.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »
Ok, I should have said "might not mean anything to a Kran."  *If* the Kran cannot taste/sense sugar or "sweetness", then using "sweet" as a description would mean little. Here, I'm assuming that because the kran's physiology is so radically different, they would not share similar taste experiences. I'll stop with that assumption as this is an unknown.

bilbous

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 08:18:19 pm »
If a kran polymorphs into a carbon based lifeform what does kra eat? a kran could possibly know what sweet tastes like but it might be what a groffel thinks is sweet. Would someone like to write up a comparative inter-species taste sensation catalog to enlighten us? I have only been able to polymorph into a groffel so it would be somewhat limited if I tried.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 05:14:06 am »
As a general and common sense guideline, the taste purpose is to guide the "being" to eat what their body need to work properly, therefore we can suppose that whatever gives the Kran a good source of energy (like crystals if you take a look at the released recipes while ores are more "like" meat crystals are more like salts, sugars, bread, ...) can make them feel a good taste maybe not too different from what we feel like when eating sugar.

Feel free to expand your RP with varied flavour, tastes etc.