Author Topic: magic users 'stance'  (Read 1427 times)

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
magic users 'stance'
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »
I would like to see the use of magic being connected to the stance of attack, i.e. Bloody, Aggressive, Normal, Defensive, Fully defensive, As a means to set the strength of the spell, could be used as well with the current scroll bar under those buttons. The reason being I have been thinking about the fact that as a magic user one can attack using super powerful spells and still automatically revert to fully defensive when attacked with conventional weapons. This doesn't follow when as a magic user your amount of focus on the spell determines how powerful it is and the possibility of side effects. Being that the very nature of the stance is to set whether you are focusing on strictly attack or defense whereas a Mage/Warlock/Witch what have you would be focused on the spell and not the armour they are carrying to prevent a blow.

To be lined up with the stances Bloody = 100% Spell strength Aggressive= 75% Normal=50% Defensive= 25% Fully Defensive=10% or less, with the default stance for casting a spell being aggressive.

Ok so that is a little disjointed and it may have been suggested before but I got 122 pages when I searched magic and didn't have time to read every thumbnail.

Please share your ideas with this.

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: magic users 'stance'
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:53:55 pm »
Is it because the Idea is unintelligible or that none have a thought at all on this thread? It is honestly the first time I have seen any post go unanswered on the forums from at least the most frequent forum users.

If it is hard to understand please let me know

If this is thought of and/or is planned to be implemented let me know

If there is anything else you would like to add please do.

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:03:56 am »
It seems to me any casting ought to be completely defenseless. It doesnn't really make sense to me that I can stand there casting spell after spell at the arena rogue and he cannot touch me. I think if something like what you are suggesting were to be considered you would be defenseless when casting normally,  if you tried to enhance your spell your opponent would have bonuses to hit you and if you wanted to protect yourself you would reduce your spell effect. Then again some of the spells take so long that it is already a disadvantage.

Mostly I think it is a can of worms and people don't know what to think.

Adder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:24:05 am »
 :sorcerer: Actually I got a similar gripe - I don't want to be "fully defensive" because I am more of a fighter than a spell caster and it is very annoying to have to switch back to normal stance every time you cast a little spell.

TymTheEnchanter

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:18:22 am »
It seems to me any casting ought to be completely defenseless.

I think this is more a re-interpretation of stance, in terms of spell casting. So you would be defenceless if attacked as your concentration is on casting the spell not on avoiding being hit, so for attack purposes you are defenceless (as if Bloody or Aggressive in combat).

Something like this might work in conjunction with a chance of spell failure on attack (I don't use magic in combat yet so not sure if this exists or not).

So if you casting stance is Fully Defensive, your spell is not as powerful, takes a bit longer to cast, basic casting is more likely to succeed (as if you used 0% boost) but you have less chance of the spell being disrupted by being attacked. Likewise, if your are using a Bloody casting stance then the spell is more powerful, takes less time to cast, has a higher change of basic casting failure and a much higher chance of being disrupted by being attacked.

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 12:24:25 pm »
There thats the kind of conjecture I like a way to implement a system that takes into account the heightened mental concentration needed to cast some of those devastating spells.

Eathon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:39:44 pm »
I'm not sure... well, the current "spell power slider" is for applying extra magical power to the spell, which can cause it to fail, so if this system was used, there would have to be some other system for spell power, unless the current one was changed.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:09 pm »
I assume, at present that magical attacks are "bloody". They should leave you completely defenseless. If you are attacked, you lose the spell you were casting and are full defensive because you were not in a frame of mind to fight back.

However, I like the idea you propose. I think that if you want to be able to do what is usually called combat casting, it should take significant mental stamina (aka concentration) to do. The "stance" you choose determines how much concentration you put into a spell, and how much damage you can take before you lose your spell.

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:13 pm »
I assume, at present that magical attacks are "bloody". They should leave you completely defenseless. If you are attacked, you lose the spell you were casting and are full defensive because you were not in a frame of mind to fight back.

Yes this is my point but why would you be in fully defensive when your mind is not on defending yourself and or attacking at all being attacked should receive damage as if 'bloody'. I can see reverting back to full defensive after loosing the spell and a short time for the mage to regain his bearings and proper train of thought.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:25:47 am »
Given the game mechanics, the point is that your mind shifts directly to defending yourself and requires player action to be aggressive in a non-magic capacity. It wouldn't make sense for you to be "bloody" in magic... and shift to "bloody" with weapons just because you lose your spell.

I see your point, but given the game mechanics as they are now, what happens makes the most sense as you wouldn't be thinking about using your weapons in any offensive capacity.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 09:55:43 am »
You might not be thinking about using your weapons, but you are spending a lot of mental power on your offensive spells.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:42 pm »
you are correct. That is why i suggested using mental stamina as a factor.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:29:55 pm »
I mean, if the bloody defensive thing is based on how much you are concentrating on defending yourself, if all your concentration is on your spell, how do you defend yourself too?

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »
I would say that the first hit that happens you:

1. Lose your spell.
2. Take damage assuming a "bloody" stance for attack.
3. Then switch to full defensive for attack stance.

What i was talking about before though, is depending on the level of concentration you dedicate to your spell, you would be able to withstand a certain amount of damage before losing the spell.

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:19:50 pm »
That is very much the way I see it; a short time to gather scattered thoughts after loosing a spell. Glad to see this has taken on a life of it's own.