Author Topic: Do you or Don't you care?  (Read 6826 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Do you or Don't you care?
« on: May 09, 2010, 02:12:09 pm »
Ok, I’d like to thank the people that have shown support for the Stonehead so far, both staff and patrons. I truly appreciate at it. :) However, for those who haven’t…

I’ve been trying to get up some enthusiasm in the general community for the Stonehead Tavern and, to be perfectly honest, the response isn’t enough. Ok, fine… Maybe sitting around chatting in a tavern isn’t exactly your thing but there is more to it than that.

Maybe this is happening because many of the people who were around when OSP was started and player run areas got their first real chance are gone. Whatever the case, this is the problem, the player run areas were a chance for players to have a huge impact on the game and do they wanted to see in game (i.e. set up an area the way you think it needs to be set up.).  Not supporting player run areas says “I don’t care” about this. That’s fine if you don’t, but if you don’t care enough then why are you playing this game?

This is a RP game, not a run around or fly on you mount everywhere to do quests all the time game, not a beat someone over the head with maxed STR and Sword skill game, and not a stand around until a GM event with rare glyphs or weapons comes around game. Nothing is wrong with these things in of themselves, but it’s not what this game is for. If you want that, go find another game. I’ll be the first to tell you that this game is not all that great for those things. But it is great for RP, or at least it was.

Most of the time, the player count is below 40 people online at any given time. With the size of the game, that is way too low. Part of the reason it is that low is because people aren’t having fun. If you aren’t RPing, there isn’t really a whole lot of reason to have fun, again this isn’t the best game out there for all the fancy combat, the most areas to explore or the most epic items. Some people say the quality of RP is why people have left, but considering that often you can walk around the game and not find any RP, I’d say the problem is simply not doing it at all…

The other problem that arises from this is that it basically tells the devs “nobody cares”. That is problematic because they are working to make a game people enjoy but now nobody cares… Some might not care what the devs think but that goes both ways. If we don’t care, why should the Devs? Why should they implement something we want if nobody really cares? Why should GMs run events if no one actually cares or why should other players bother to set up RP events? Why should anyone listen to any suggestion someone comes up with if ultimately there isn’t enough people to care?

I’ve have been struggling to believe this is not actually the case and trusting that most people actually do care they just haven’t said so for some odd reason, so I challenge the community to prove one way or another what they feel. Do you or don’t you care? I don’t just want a silly rant or the usual arguments that happens here. Any fool can open his mouth and start an argument. All I want it know is whether or not it’s worth even bothering any more or if I should go on my way and not look back. If it’s not worth bothering, I can use my hard earned summer for myself.

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Do you or Don't you care?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:20:05 pm »
Well to help you out I certainly do care, I have been doin my best with my Characters to continue in the lifestyle of RP as well will be contacting the Stonehead tavern Manager as soon as I figure out which Character best fits and what they will be willing to do. Don't give up Illysia there is alot of people that RP regularly.

Overtherainbow

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I see you lookin' at mah rainbowz.
    • View Profile
    • EBONWUMON DOT COM
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:21:16 pm »
Honestly, even when I could (or wanted) to play PS, the Stonehead wasn't my thing. Not because I wanted to roflride a mount or etc, but simply because I didn't like the atmosphere of the Stonehead. It felt like a bunch of people forcing themselves to be there and trying to hard to make it work.

Which seems to be precisely the case.

My opinion? Enjoy your summer, if you're not having fun at the Rockbrain, don't spend your summer there. Do something you enjoy. At the end of the day this is a game, not a job. You should think of it as such.

And hey, there are always prostitutes to fill up empty areas, amirite? ;)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »
Honestly, even when I could (or wanted) to play PS, the Stonehead wasn't my thing. Not because I wanted to roflride a mount or etc, but simply because I didn't like the atmosphere of the Stonehead. It felt like a bunch of people forcing themselves to be there and trying to hard to make it work.

Which seems to be precisely the case.

My opinion? Enjoy your summer, if you're not having fun at the Rockbrain, don't spend your summer there. Do something you enjoy. At the end of the day this is a game, not a job. You should think of it as such.

And hey, there are always prostitutes to fill up empty areas, amirite? ;)

People enjoyed being at the Stonehead it was a friendly enough environment that even people who were afraid to RP would come and RP a little but since it is not in Hydlaa, it always has a drop off of player support.

And a little known fact, you can't run a player run area for more than a day without it becoming a job. It has to be managed, organized, and supervised. I spent many night stressed by people who came to Stonehead just to mess with me and cause trouble. It takes a great deal of cooperation and preplanning to pull it off, that's why there aren't a lot of player run areas. My basic problem is that I won't put that kind of effort in if it is wasted.

Well to help you out I certainly do care, I have been doin my best with my Characters to continue in the lifestyle of RP as well will be contacting the Stonehead tavern Manager as soon as I figure out which Character best fits and what they will be willing to do. Don't give up Illysia there is alot of people that RP regularly.

Thank you. :)

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:30:25 pm »
The stonehead should be made known as the main place to go to find people roleplaying. That won't happen within a few weeks though. I believe therefore, that you need a group of players who stick to continue with the stonehead as meeting place over a long time and not only for a few weeks for that.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:15 pm »
This already happened and fell apart, it's going to take more than that.

Oh and by the way.... Not responding will be taken as an "I don't care" as well. I mean to get a lot of input on this before I make a decision on what to do this summer in regards to the Stonehead.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:43:16 pm by Illysia »

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 04:29:45 pm »
The answer to the questions you ask is the response from the community. There has been too much emphasis on forcing behavior in this game, and it has not leaned towards keeping players in the game. When something is working there is at least a partial feeling of effortlessness that comes into play; something that works will gather its own momentum. And unfortunately there are other situations that are not helping the Stonehead by proximity. Since we appear to be in an ebb phase with regards to the community, I would also caution that making any judgements regarding the Stonehead at this time would probably be erroneous as there are too few people playing. Wait a while, try again.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »
Lady illysia- Roled certainly cares!

Just FYI I stop into the Stonehead almost each time I am ingame. I make appointments to meet people there, and when folks are hammering at Gardr's forge I try to get them to go up with me for a drink.

Roled really appreciates it when pies and drinks are left out on the tables or the hearth of the fireplace, because it does encourage casual dropping in and conversations. RR tries to leave a note of thanks and tria each time but apparently we can't drop tria ig now so RR will pay Illysia for the provisions next time he sees her. Did you get my note and the flowers RR left you?

RR also met... um... gosh... oh yeah ! Lady Minks there yesterday and had a nice talk over a slice of pie.

By the way RR is the one in your other forum's poll who checked off "Stopping  by to see LAdy Peckerly". RR and Lady P share a dance everytime he comes by which is 99% of the times RR is ingame.

Thanks Illysia! We'll have your welcome back party next weekend in the Stonehead- the Xioisa party in the Garden is 0200 to @0330 GMT, so why don't we try to have your party at @ 3:30GMT? I know later is better for you and I do remember your schedule is unpredictable. But hopefully the Guest of Honor- you! - will be there and hopefully some of the RHofP and all others who can make it. Next Sat March 15th!

See you then!
Yer Friend
Roled Rolak
Proctor
Knowledge Seekers

Carrier of the Song

Sons of Xiosia[/b]
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Bajazag

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »
[edit: deleted]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:43:41 am by Bajazag »

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »
I care.  Recently I've been finding out what it really is to RP, just by hanging out in the tavern more often.  My only problem right now is that Manxa doesn't know that the Stonehead Tavern exists right now....  Maybe you should tel her about it IG.

Rigwyn

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 08:55:22 pm »
People show up for unodin or xiosia events so they can get free stuff. These are not the kinds of players you want to attract.
Just my opinion.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:25:02 pm »
Not to contradict you entirely Rigwyn, yes, people do show up for free stuff..

AND/ BUT/ BUT
there was no free stuff except for food at the Unodin events. Unodin was player organized, player supported, and the small prizes that were given out (like the staffs at the Guild Parade) were bought by player organizers of the events. Lots of people showed up!

....Just to set the record straight there my bad bad friend! :devil:

Yer Friend who if he ever meets you will no doubt be scared to deathrealm,
Roled
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
well personally illisia
when im not helping my guild with somthing or another, im usually hanging around around the gug tavern
i'll be back in game next weekend, and i'll try and help bring a little bit of chattter to it :)
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 02:08:11 am »
tl;dr

answer to title: no, i don't care. sorry.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 02:15:20 am »
I care. The Stone Head is usually the first place I go when I'm on and not questing or something, and with the promotion of it in the forums, I'm hoping maybe there will be some characters there when I pop in. Unfortunately, at the moment, most of my weekend (including Friday) is taken, but I'm hoping we get more players that come on on their weekend evenings (or have weekdays off too or whatever) come in.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa