Author Topic: Tell Disable  (Read 2593 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Tell Disable
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:15:25 pm »
It has been my experience that using and responding to distant tells tends to get my character where me, the player, may want them yet not where the character may naturally choose to be or end up being in a natural in game way.  My experience has been that the outcome generally takes away from the character immersion rather than aiding it.

For the moment an /away message is installed each login explaining that tells are being ignored to aid in better character immersion unless a whisper is initiated from the Main window of chat.

It would be nice to be able to disengage the tells completely and not even to be tempted to look at them. With such a feature engaged a Whisper would only work when the character initiating the whisper was within non-shouting range of the character. i.e. readable on Main window as well.

- Nova

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Re: Tell Disable
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »
Yes. I think one of the problems with RP these days is that people send each-other tells where to get their characters to meet up when I think RP should be spontaneous instead. I don't think tells should be taken away completely, but rather, have the ability to separate a character whisper from /tell []'s. Then being able to disable tells because some of us don't care about too many things OOCly.

-sig by sarras

Elly-b

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:30:24 pm »
Why? Isn't the away message enough? It seems to me you hanging with the wrong persons if you get that kind of tells even after explaining to them about your way of playing. Tell is a so powerful tool if you just put some care in how you use it in my opinion.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »
Half the problem is people's schedules, ya' know? *wink, nudge*

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:09:48 pm »
What is better

1) Spending most of you available RP time trying to find the other person you want/need to talk to

or

2) Using the OOC tell to find out where you might just happen to bump into that person you want/need to talk to and having more time to RP?

Personally I have no problem with #2 not much different from looking on your guild member list to see what map your guild mate is on when you want to talk to them. If time spent trying to find someone IC'ly means less time you actually have to RP then I don't see a problem with a little OOC cheat to give you more time to RP.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »
Guild tab should just be plain taken away, along with the nouveau Alliance tab. I would also say group tab because it is OOC too, but sometimes RPers use it to...well...RP naughty stuff.  :O

There is still a minimal need for people to be OOC, the point being what Kaerli mentioned with people needing to share their schedules. That is why tells shouldn't be completely removed, but necessary to separate from whispers.

-sig by sarras

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:26 pm »
do it in your client and leave others alone. you just need to remove the entries in chat.xml.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:58:45 am »
You have the option of removing a chat tab's flashing when a new message is sent. I think.

Xoel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:42:20 am »
Some guilds use the Guild and Alliance channels for OOC discussions on important things (and some friendly banter).

As for using it to "find RP", well, the server's not always overflowing with players.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 03:38:24 am »
Not to forget:

"/ignore Nuisance"
"/away I don't like tells, shut up."

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:22:24 am »
do it in your client and leave others alone. you just need to remove the entries in chat.xml.

Exactly. If you disable the button only, you won't notice incoming tells, but you will be able to read the tell tab whenever you send a /tell yourself.

xml file sent as PM to Nova.

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:43 am »
How about a more novel way to look at them, I too have found that they tend to be OOC in Nature but the /me /my functions still works in tells as they do in the main chat so I have reverted to something more like '/my Messenger finds you and hands you a letter Reading 'Where Might one meet up with you to discuss an important matter' on the other persons tell screen it reads Hrothbert's Messenger finds you and hands you a letter......' You get the idea turn them into an IC type of communication.

Now I know that there are people that have tried to start a type of messenger service but the problem with that is if them to be efficient they tend to revert to tells to find the people the message is intended for which would create the same problem. Unless a person had a 'mailbox' of some sort there seems that the tells/whispers will be needed in the future.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:27:29 am »
xml file sent as PM to Nova.

Its nice to hear that xml changes are available to players in their client; yet my feeling is that this will not address the separation of tells and whispers, correct?

My suggestion is not to penalize all players that like tells the way they are at the moment. My suggestion is to allow players the choice to have the tell ability or not without loosing the whisper ability in close range.

The xml fix will not address that correct?

My suggestion is meant as a feature to those that find tells distracting from character immersion not as a penalty to those that care to use them.

- Nova

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:03 am »

Afaik, the button for the /tell tab is just misleadingly labeled as "whisper", which does not exist as separate mechanism with a shorter range than /say. Maybe that is the feature you wish to request.
The file I sent you simply makes the tell=whisper tab invisible until you use a /tell command or the buddy list to send a private message.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
You are correct Bonifarzia. My wish would be that the Tells and Whispers be separated with the Tells having the ability to be disabled by players. The Whisper should then only work within a smaller range than Main.

- Nova