Author Topic: Griefers (among them PKers)  (Read 447 times)

Ragnar-GD

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Griefers (among them PKers)
« on: February 09, 2005, 05:52:12 pm »
Hi,

IMHO PKing is one variant of griefing. Allowing PKing will bring realism to PS, because griefing is a real problem...

...nah, I\'m not picky...

But on with serious stuff:
I just read a study, that Griefers do it because (pick one)
1) other players acted bad on them, and they commit revenge against innocent because of overwhelming frustration
2) the game (aka GMs) acted bad on them... rest as above...
3) they are pathologic, almost like the typical bully you meet on school yards, kicking the little ones for fun

Griefing will make other players unhappy, and then some of *those* players will become griefers too (that\'s what the study says, I\'m not making it up, so don\'t jump on me with \"just another opinion\"... )

In any case, kicking will make griefers more angry, come back, and cause even more grief.

PS does not have a strategy to deal with those (as i.e. you cannot even ban CD-Keys, which would make kicked-and-returning griefers at least to have to pay for the fun).

Perhaps this problem will make PS less fun with each day, as Griefers will staple after some time.

Any Open-Source-game is happy playground for griefers, as the barriers are much lower, and monitoring staff is scarce (noone gets paid for this job, its a lousy job, so only few will do it).

I can\'t see any meaningful barriers against griefing in PS - and no, just disallowing PvP isn\'t enough, look for the other commercial games.

If things don\'t change before end of open beta, PS is in danger of becoming a living nightmare for normal roleplayers.

Or am I wrong? Did I overlook something?
Everyone should make their own MMORPG

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 06:37:33 pm »
One question...Who do you think you are???

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms

Jakob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 07:15:00 pm »
I\'d say he thinks he\'s  Ragnar-GD.  Would you mind clarifying you opinion WizardsRule?  I think there where very good thoughts posted there, even if the only sollution is a complete ban on pking...  Keep in mind, I\'m neither for, nor opposed to pking, however I do have this to say.  Pking that is shoddily put together without taking thoughts like what Ragnar has to say into consideration would be foolish.  The fact remains, however, that our GMs and Devs are much smarter than this, and shoddy workmanship of a possible pking system is nothing to worry about.  He is right though, there should be constrictions and limits on a pking system.  Pking can be a game killer for one person and the deus ex machina for another...

I am Arew Silverwing, and one day I will rule the WORLD!:D
All y\'all stick yourselves onto the board.

Ragnar-GD

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 07:27:05 pm »
>>One question...Who do you think you are???
If I insulted you with my style: Please accept my apologies. I wasn\'t here to start any flame wars.

Is there any *content* of my (admittedly harsh) critic, that deserves a detailed reply?
Everyone should make their own MMORPG